Remington 673 Guide 6.5 mm Rem Mag

Great shooting NEGEORGIA. Nothing wrong with your groups, other than they aren't Noslers!! Just kidding. Hope you are able to get out with the rifle this Fall. Scotty

The 6.5mm Rem Mag loaded with a 130 gr AB works well on WT deer.
IMG_05921.jpg

JD338

Super picture, Jim. What's the story? I could get excited about the 6.5 Remington.

Good job, Jim!

Scotty: they will be Noslers as soon as I can get a 130AB load that works. It was the first bullet that I seriously tried to load with but I never got it to work. This with very limited range time to invest and only one powder and primer. Conversely, good accuracy with the other co's 120TTSX up to 2950+ fps. My gun seems to like the TTSX but even with it, when I add more powder (to break thru 3000 fps) the velocities and the groups become erratic. At least they did before I floated the barrel. As time permits, we'll see what it does now.

Since Jim has done the research and posted the results, I have procured RL-22 and GM215Ms. All I need is time and hopefully my results with the 130AB will be similar to his. And if not, I may have to learn how to bed a rifle.

negeorgia":1j9csrgr said:
Good job, Jim!

Scotty: they will be Noslers as soon as I can get a 130AB load that works. It was the first bullet that I seriously tried to load with but I never got it to work. This with very limited range time to invest and only one powder and primer. Conversely, good accuracy with the other co's 120TTSX up to 2950+ fps. My gun seems to like the TTSX but even with it, when I add more powder (to break thru 3000 fps) the velocities and the groups become erratic. At least they did before I floated the barrel. As time permits, we'll see what it does now.

Since Jim has done the research and posted the results, I have procured RL-22 and GM215Ms. All I need is time and hopefully my results with the 130AB will be similar to his. And if not, I may have to learn how to bed a rifle.

Bedding is VERY easy buddy! You give the word and I know there are many here to include myself that will assist you. I can do it, so any knuckledragger can do it! RL22 seems like it would be a good match for the 6.5... I would bet if you played with Jim's combo a little, you would see something quick. Scotty

Gotta love it. Can not wait to start working on my 350 mag in the 673.

negeorgia

My 6.5mm Rem Mag load....

130 gr AB
56.0 grs IMR4831
R-P case
Fed GM215M primer

JD338

Thanks, Jim, and I see you get 40 more fps with the 4831. I bought the RL-22 at some point after "I think I found Utopia" back in June.

Just got a flyer from Midway showing 130AB's for 23.69.

there is a NIB 673 on gunbroker right now chambered in 300SAUM.......
talk about a do all rifle!!!!
If I buy it can I file off the "remington" and engrave "winchester" ? :mrgreen:

chet":3uktof1p said:
there is a NIB 673 on gunbroker right now chambered in 300SAUM.......
talk about a do all rifle!!!!
If I buy it can I file off the "remington" and engrave "winchester" ? :mrgreen:

You could Chet, but we would all still know! HA! Scotty

Update from the lab and range:

130 AccuBond with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V maxes out at about 54 grains and 2975fps (and horribly inaccurate in my 673). I think this powder is too fast for the 130. It works well with a 120 grain bullet.

Is your 673 bedded? Just wondering cause it doesn't seem like 100V should be too bad. Although RL19 and 4831 should be super. Scotty

Not bedded. The H100V works well behind a tipped TSX 120 grain (my gun loves this bullet), and it might work well behind the 130 AccuBond if I tweak it some but the velocity vs. pressure results indicate that it's a less-than-ideal combination. Jim's work shows that that IMR 4831 is better with the 130. Jim also achieved good results with RL22 and this bullet. I duplicated this recipe and also got pretty good results although without bedding the action and tying her down to a lead sled I didn't get the excellent result that he got.

With limited time to invest in this project and range inconvenience (a free 85-yd range 1 hour's drive away, a free 100-meter range 1 hr 45 min away, a couple others available at varying costs), I rethink what it was I was trying to accomplish. I already had a recipe good enough for hunting: TTSX120@2950fps rendering .8" groups. This is good for 300 yards. So I set out to make an accurate 130AB load at 2950 or better, and to improve the velocity of the TTSX120's without killing the accuracy. Not sure why I wanted to do these. Anyway...

I now have a
TTSX120 going 3075+ which is, so far, sub-MOA (wanna shoot at least 10 more to confirm the accuracy is reliable), and a
130 AccuBond going 3000+ with Jim's 59 gr of RL22, which once shot a MOA but the next time didn't (which might have been just me, I need to shoot more of these).

So now I can shoot 400 yds instead of 300? This light gun and scope are excellent for regular hunting. If I get to hunt on 350+ yard fields, or for bigger game, I have a 7 with a 6.5-20 for that.

I've used some Hornady 129 Interbonds 'cause I got a hundred for a steal of a price. They are working really well if you like 4-inch groups.

Yeah, I would bet some pillars and bedding would have most any of your loads shooting little groups. When they are that finicky, the pillars seem to settle them down and make an already accurate rifle, consistently accurate all the time. You do have a few great loads. Scotty

MagTen":12n0q4ur said:
Has anyone tried the new 180 gr. Barnes TTSX BT with the 6.5 or 350 RemMag in the 673?

Haven't monkeyed around with the Barnes in awhile, but I could see that little 180 in a 358 being a pretty good bullet. Should be able to get some good speed behind it to make it open reliably throughout the 358's window.

Back