Remington 700 SPS over pressure

Both good ideas, elkeater2 and Mountain Goat, thanks. I checked the ejector tonight, it seems to function fine. One thing I noticed is Remington did a crappy job on the extractor rivet when I sent I back for repair a few years ago.

Hope your gun smith can get it sorted out for you.
If you decide to rebarrel, maybe the 7mm WSM might be the way to go.

JD338

In the unlikely event of having to put on a new barrel I would suggest doing a 270 WSM again especially since you like it and are set up for shooting it. I would put a faster 1 in 8 or 1 in 9 on it though so you can shoot some of the new high b.c. 270 cal bullets that are starting to come out these days. Much easier to find brass and ammo compared to some other short mag rounds.

I don't know anything about gunsmithing to know if this is possible or right, but couldn't a gunsmith (or Remington) take finish reamer in the same caliber and try to re-cut what sounds like a tight chamber to me? It probably wouldn't fix any off center problems, but it might be cheaper than re-barreling. My .280 is similar to yours in that I usually can't run book max loads in mine, but I can approach them. But I've never seen pressure signs from a factory cartridge, so I just live with it knowing the limitation of that gun.

I have thought a lot about a re-barrel and I would like a 7mm WSM, but I have dies, hundreds of bullets and plenty of brass for the 270 WSM. If it comes down to a re-barrel and I go with another 270 WSM who makes fast twist barrels? I have looked at Shilen and Douglas, both show 1 in 10 the fastest they sell.

BretN, I don't know anything about gunsmithing either, so that is a good question. Hopefully the gunsmith can answer all my questions when I meet with him next week or I will be calling Utah to talk to Preacher's gunsmith. I'm pretty much done trying to get anything more out of Remington. As SJB, Dale and Ridgerunner said Remington's Customer Service leaves something to be desired.

I know for sure Benchmark makes a 1 in 9 270 blank because I have one sitting in my sock drawer waiting for a build :lol: I know there are others too, Pac Nor makes a 1 in 8 twist and have heard of several others but can't remember right now since it is past my bedtime.

I have a 1-8 pac-nor on my 270 build, they were the only one who would do a featherweight contour out to 24"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hart and Lilja make a 1 in 8 and Benchmark in addition to the 1 in 9 makes a 1 in 8.5 as well.

gerry":123ldhfu said:
I know for sure Benchmark makes a 1 in 9 270 blank because I have one sitting in my sock drawer waiting for a build :lol: I know there are others too, Pac Nor makes a 1 in 8 twist and have heard of several others but can't remember right now since it is past my bedtime.

Is that a left foot Benchmark, or a right foot Benchmark, Gerry? :? Shouldn't you have two, one for each foot? :mrgreen:

I think Krieger or Bartlein will do whatever you want.

I think sticking with the 270WSM is a great idea as well. I like mine a whole lot.

nvbroncrider":1y8iq2x5 said:
It's not right. Maybe a short throat.

I left the rifle with the gunsmith today, he said it has a very short throat. He also recommended lapping the barrel.

Thanks to everyone who posted for your input and help, I will let you know how it turns out. I feel like I have lost something, not having that rifle in the safe. LOL.

AFG270":1ysx5gin said:
nvbroncrider":1ysx5gin said:

I left the rifle with the gunsmith today, he said it has a very short throat. He also recommended lapping the barrel.

Thanks to everyone who posted for your input and help, I will let you know how it turns out. I feel like I have lost something, not having that rifle in the safe. LOL.

I know the feeling. I wouldn't know what to do with myself without my 270 WSM around either.

AFG270":19jadj28 said:
nvbroncrider":19jadj28 said:

Would also love to hear how it all works out for you, got to love those 277 calibers :)

gerry":3nzwl02i said:
AFG270":3nzwl02i said:
nvbroncrider":3nzwl02i said:

Would also love to hear how it all works out for you, got to love those 277 calibers :)

Yes sir... They are tough to beat Gerry. I'm looking forward to working with the 270 WSM some. It's been awhile.

Gerry and SJB, the 270's sure are a pleasure to shoot. Unfortunately, it is going to be awhile before I get the rifle back, as the gunsmith is very busy. Oh well, good things are worth waiting for, right?

No one has ever said you can't have another 270 to work with while yours is at the gunsmiths :mrgreen:

SJB358":z10v1n6y said:
No one has ever said you can't have another 270 to work with while yours is at the gunsmiths :mrgreen:

Ha ha. Yeah, I have been looking on GunBroker everyday. It is very tempting, but I have a 300 WSM and a 30-06 that need attention.

Glad you've got it at the smith, and hopefully it's not too expensive. Hard to believe that Remington wouldn't do something for you. I can't imagine it would cost much or take very long for them to open the throat on the rifle a little, if that's all they did. Glad I had no issues with my new Remington, if that's what they call customer service. It should shoot well after your smith finishes both jobs I would think. Let us know how it turns out. BN

quote="Ridgerunner665"]I've had 3 Remington's with that exact same issue.... Remington isn't going to even acknowledge there is a problem, let alone fix it.

BretN, the gunsmith said it will be about $100 and that includes a thinner magazine follower, so I can get 3 rounds easily in the mag and smoothing out the extractor rivet Remington replaced the last time I sent it back to them.

AFG270":qncbs2aj said:
SJB358":qncbs2aj said:

Ha ha. Yeah, I have been looking on GunBroker everyday. It is very tempting, but I have a 300 WSM and a 30-06 that need attention.

I talked to the gunsmith about re-barreling my 30-06. It is an early 70's Win Model 70 push feed. I could do another 270, but I was thinking a 25-06 or 6.5-06. I am going to start another post about that, as I have a few questions for the experts here on this forum.

Back