Remington 7600 280 Remington 145 LRX H4831SC

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I snagged a 280 Rem last year in the M7600. Haven’t really done too much with it at all other than shoot a few loads through it to zero it up a little and make sure it wasn’t bent.

I decided to try some H4831SC and the Barnes 145 LRXs. No real big reason to pick either one, but I had a bunch of both on my shelf.

Anyhow I loaded up a ladder of charges to figure out a node to start shooting at.

62.5 looked like a decent spot to be with some good speed. I seated the whole works at 3.300” COAL so they’d function nicely through the magazine and took them out to 200 yards.

The first shots were pretty low, so I moved the old friction click adjustments on the Vari X III and shot the 2nd group which hovered around the bull. Hard some dark clouds coming and wailed off 3 more which went a bit high and left.

I believe I’ll shorten these down just a little to see if I can snug them up a little but I was fairly happy with the first real outing with the rifle. I know I can work them in a bit better if I keep shortening them.

I will say the trigger is long and HEAVY compared to the bolt guns I’m usually shooting. Before I left the range I ordered the Timney trigger springs and sear kit. That usually cleans those triggers up to about 3lbs and makes them much better for general shooting.

Hoping to use this rifle and the Whelen for most of my rifle hunting up north this year. I kinda dig hunting with these pump guns. They’re really handy and like an old 870, they just pop right up.

That is some impressive velocity out of the old gal, Scotty! That load will smack about anything in NA with real authority. Interestingly enough, I've used 139/140 grain pills almost exclusively in my Featherweight chambered in .280, but the Remington I have prefers 150s. They all work well.

I have a real soft spot for these guns, 280 has always been the unicorn, as well as the 25-06, not many around. Very cool setup

That's a really nice looking rifle Scotty!
I was looking at the 7600's as well, but they were more pricey than I could afford.
We all know that you'll find the perfect load for it. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Scotty , I'll bet that rifle was bought new through Grice gun shop in Clearfield Pa . he is big on getting special runs made for him . he was doing a special run of these pump guns each year for awhile , chambered in a different cartridge . he would have the stocks engraved like yours .

I have a few of these pump guns . they will shoot pretty good . I have my GrandPaps 760 in 30.06 . I bought a 760 in .222 . I bought a 7600 in .243 for my son to deer hunt with ,it has the laminated stock . Denise came equipped with her own rifle , a 7600 in .243. her's is the fancy embellished one . I haven't shot them for years . bolt guns are a lot more user friendly shooting from a bench .

jimbires":16e4x1f7 said:
Scotty , I'll bet that rifle was bought new through Grice gun shop in Clearfield Pa . he is big on getting special runs made for him . he was doing a special run of these pump guns each year for awhile , chambered in a different cartridge . he would have the stocks engraved like yours .

I have a few of these pump guns . they will shoot pretty good . I have my GrandPaps 760 in 30.06 . I bought a 760 in .222 . I bought a 7600 in .243 for my son to deer hunt with ,it has the laminated stock . Denise came equipped with her own rifle , a 7600 in .243. her's is the fancy embellished one . I haven't shot them for years . bolt guns are a lot more user friendly shooting from a bench .

They are a bit different. I was actually laying down prone with the last few I shot at 100, I stole those pictures of the rifle from my first time just trying it out. They aren't too bad a shooters really. I am pretty sure I can shrink up what I have going on.

And that is pretty cool about the Grice deal. I wasn't super keen on the stock engraving, but I have mostly forgot about it. Wished it was more of the oil finish my 35 Whelen has but it isn't too bad.

The holy grail is a 760 280 Rem carbine. That is one I'd snatch up pretty quick if I ever found one of them.

Nice! Try some RL22 if you get a chance. Works really well in the 280

FOTIS":26ro9mgo said:
Nice! Try some RL22 if you get a chance. Works really well in the 280

Will do, probably 23 but about the same stuff. I've kinda switched over to 23 these days. I'd bet its real decent in the 280.

A little faster than 22 but I believe more stable.

So I moved out to 250 yards last night. It was pretty clear last night and no rain in the forecast. I also found my recoil shield which was quite nice with this plastic butt plate.

Shot my first three without touching anything from the previous night.

I was thinking, okay, this rifle will shoot!

I clicked it up what I thought was 1.5”

I walked down and was figuring that’ll work. I decided to measure them with my tape measure.

So I didn’t change anything about the load from the night before and just about cut my group sizes in 1/2 while adding 50 yards of range.

Good lesson for me last night. Sometimes I’m a horrible trigger snatcher and sometimes I’m a little better than horrible. I don’t believe I’ll be monkeying around with this load. For deer out to 400 and actually, more honestly under 200 this gives me all I want. Trigger is still inbound but I will be loading up a pile to work this out and figure my Kentucky windage at 400. Should be roughly duplex thin/fat part of the post.

Well, it does appear that the rifle has legs! Fine riflery, Scotty. I'd say that with that rifle/load you'll be piling up deer.

DrMike":30fwv18i said:
Well, it does appear that the rifle has legs! Fine riflery, Scotty. I'd say that with that rifle/load you'll be piling up deer.

Thank you Mike!

FOTIS":2zlxwbk3 said:
Bravo...Great shooting.

It was sorta eye opening when I could see the shooting from the day before....

But, I will say this, I don't expect much more out of any of my bolt guns than what this 7600 does.

Need to get the Whelen out next.

That son of a gun is knocking on the door of accuracy from an expensive bolt gun if not beating some of them. Really good shooting.

And yes if you want to shoot good groups you got to SQUEEZE the trigger until you feel the recoil....something I remind myself of regular.

SJB358":276hgf9q said:
FOTIS":276hgf9q said:
Bravo...Great shooting.

But, I will say this, I don't expect much more out of any of my bolt guns than what this 7600 does.

Yes I’ve heard people say pumps aren’t accurate but over the years I probably owned 20+ of them. Never had a bad one yet, and most were as good as my bolt guns. I’m shopping for an older .308 760, I can find them but not for what I want to pay ha!

coop22250":y5mrfw32 said:
SJB358":y5mrfw32 said:
FOTIS":y5mrfw32 said:
Bravo...Great shooting.

Yes I’ve heard people say pumps aren’t accurate but over the years I probably owned 20+ of them. Never had a bad one yet, and most were as good as my bolt guns. I’m shopping for an older .308 760, I can find them but not for what I want to pay ha!
So, so true! The used ones have gone up in price exponentially since the last time I saw several years ago.
Good to know they're as accurate as they are. Hopefully I can get one in the near future.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":3j735zbw said:
coop22250":3j735zbw said:
SJB358":3j735zbw said:
FOTIS":3j735zbw said:
Bravo...Great shooting.

So, so true! The used ones have gone up in price exponentially since the last time I saw several years ago.
Good to know they're as accurate as they are. Hopefully I can get one in the near future.

Hawk

The newer ones have a plastic trigger assembly, I’m not a huge fan. I’ll buy the older ones preferably, not a fan of the newest model. I don’t know if that drives the older model prices up or not.

If you watch and wait you can still pick up a nice condition 760 in 30-06 or 270 for right at $400 maybe a little under, but in general they've gone up, especially the other calibers.

Couple of yrs ago there was a local older gent that had a stash of 760's and he was selling guns. Flat price of $350 no matter what they were. Some scoped, some not. 5 diamonds, you name it. No 222's, or 223's at that price, but pretty much everything else. I like a bone head was off chasing other rifles at the time and did not capitalize.

Coop, my 1 brother has a 760 in a 308 carbine. Nice rifle. Basket weave stock and forearm. I haven't convinced him yet that it would do better stored in my gun cabinet, but he ponders it now and then when I bring it up. :lol:

Back