remington brass

muzz

Handloader
Nov 11, 2014
Due to the cost of 280 AI brass im thinkin of getting Remington brass and forming it and using it. What do you think? I just cant see why the cost of the Ackley brass has to be so high.

It should work fine...

As to the cost of Ackley brass....its expensive for a few reasons...its pretty hard to make 40 degree shoulders in production, only one company makes it, and that one company makes very high quality brass...so you have high quality, hard to produce brass...simple economics.

I fire form my 280AI brass from 280 Rem brass.
IMG_07611.jpg

JD338

JD338,

This would be a good time to ask something I've been meaning ask you...

Your process for fire forming (loads, methods, etc.)? Cream of wheat?

I fully plan on using Nosler brass, but if it turns out to be too soft (as has been rumored) I might have to rethink that.

Edited to add: I'm not saying Nosler brass is soft...I don't know...haven't actually used it yet...but I do have 2 boxes of it for 280 Ackley and 1 box for 270 Win (my buddy insisted on it, even though Norma was cheaper, on sale)

I load 280 Rem max loads with 140 gr or 150 gr bullets and shoot. My chamber gives that slight crush feel
and head spaces off the shoulder/neck junction of the 280 Rem case.
I've never had a problem.

JD338

JD338":3rmohugb said:
I load 280 Rem max loads with 140 gr or 150 gr bullets and shoot. My chamber gives that slight crush feel
and head spaces off the shoulder/neck junction of the 280 Rem case.
I've never had a problem.

JD338

So you haven't tried this in her rifle yet?

No, using Nosler brass. Easy to keep things separated that way.

JD338

Something else I've been pondering...using 270 Win brass to make 280 Ackley brass.

Mostly because you can find 270 Win brass in WalMart (the ones that sell reloading stuff anyway)...they only have the common sizes.

I know it can be done...but am curious if anybody has done it and at what length it ended up after fireforming.

Ridgerunner665":1azk8c2p said:
Something else I've been pondering...using 270 Win brass to make 280 Ackley brass.

Mostly because you can find 270 Win brass in WalMart (the ones that sell reloading stuff anyway)...they only have the common sizes.

I know it can be done...but am curious if anybody has done it and at what length it ended up after fireforming.

I would think 270 Win brass might be a problem unless you put a false shoulder on the cartridge since the 280 Rem has the shoulder moved forward a little.

Now, when I say problem, I don't mean it would be hard, but you'd probably just want to neck them up in order to get good contact with the chamber.

With a Mauser type action, you could probably get away with doing it as the extractor would hold the case firm enough to allow the firing pin to strike the primer. A push feeder might not have enough purchase to let the pin strike hard enough for full ignition.

I think with either, I'd still rather have full shoulder contact to make sure the case sits still during fireforming.

Yep Scotty or jam them in the lands. But that was the original reason they moved the shoulder forward on the 280 was so you couldn't shoot a 280 in a 270 and shooting a 270 in a 280 is flat out dangerous. I try to keep my brass all as properly head stamped as possible.

Jake

I have not chambered a 280 Rem into the M48 280AI chamber so I can't tell you.

I would not use 270 Win brass for 280AI. You would have to create a false shoulder
or jam the bullet into the lands. It would work but you would have confusing head stamped
brass that could potentially become a problem down the road.

I would use Nosler brass in my 280AI but it will not fit my rifle due to it being a very tight chamber.
I will always use properly head stamped brass when ever possible.
And FWIW, although the Nosler brass is expensive, it is better than R-P brass so you will get longer case life. If you push the pressure limits, you will shorten case life.

JD338

JD338":3fjdy2w3 said:
And FWIW, although the Nosler brass is expensive, it is better than R-P brass so you will get longer case life.

JD338
It's better than Remington brass so you will lose less of your life prepping cases, sorting cases, and have less throwaway brass that is just plain junk. If your options is forming Remington or buying Nosler I'd pay the $ in a second and buy the Nosler.

I just went through 200 new Remington brand brass for my 35 Rem. Amazing how bad that stuff is, but with few sources there isn't much you can do.

Back