Remington customer service

2shaky

Beginner
Apr 19, 2010
A while back there were some bad feelings toward Remington's service. Thought I would put in my .02 Long story short, Rem. 700 338 RUM, casings would randomly stick in the chamber. 2 smiths polished the chamber 3 times. Sent it back to Remington and the gun (5 yrs. old) was replaced no charge no hassels, no problem. New one has upgraded stock, trigger, and recoil pad. :grin:

That is great news! Post some pics of your new 338 RUM.

JD338

That is a good response. It sounds as if they acknowledged that a defective rifle got past them. I am certainly pleased for you.

The wife has the camera out of town for a few more days, maybe when she gets back. The paper work said replacing the bad barrell, then replacing the action to match the finish on the barrell, then replaced the stock (non-slip grips molded in) because the old pad was worn. Bottom line they pulled parts off the shelf and built an XCR when I sent them a plain-jane stainless/synthetic. The serial #'s don't match from bolt to barrell, but that is the least of my worries. It shoots pretty good
1 1/4 at 200 3/4 at 100
90 gr R22 WLRM 225ab 2900 ft

Me on the other hand have had terrible service. One rifle returned due to some issues and they lost it in the factory for 90+ days. They could not find it to fix it. Another 300 rum was returned for shooting 2-3 MOA with Remington fodder and my handloads. Returned back to me untouched claiming it was well withing their accuracy parameters. As far as I am concerned Remington service and quality ended in the early 1990's. My opinion of course.

I really cannot adress Remington's service as of late, but I have to agree with POP that their quality has dropped off.

I have been hearing horror stories about Remington's from any number of gun store owners all over California for a couple of years now. I thought it was sort of overblown.

This year I bought a new Remington 700LSS rifle chambered in .257 Wby Mag, I bought it because my dad has one and it shoots great. The store where my dad had purchased his had more in stock and I picked one up.
The two guns were only 15 numbers apart on their serial numbers.

While my dad's shoots great, the one I bought would not shoot for beans.
I tried 75, 80, 87, 100, and 115 grain bullets, all with pretty poor results.
I tried Nosler's, Hornady's, Barnes', Sierra's, all with the same lousy groups.

In inspecting the rifle I discovered that only one of the locking lugs was making contact at all, the other one just barely. I decided that the thing was unsafe to shoot. I was preparing to send it back to Remington when a gunsmith friend said he would buy it as he needed a "project".

He got a project for sure. He had to lap the lugs to get contact. He had to recrown it as the crown was lousy. He had to bed it because the bedding was so bad. The action is not square, the recoil lug is not square, etc. etc.

How can two guns 15 serial numbers apart be so different in quality? My dad's rifle seems fine in all respects.

Mailed my Rem 700 Sendero II to the factory for repair on 4 Aug; received it back on 2 Sep. Told them I fired a hot load, damaged the bolt shroud. Paperwork returned with it said it was warranty work, no charge.

Not to defend Remington ( I don't think the rifle has ever been as accurate as it should be) but mine was a good experience with their repair service.

I had a bad experience with my 11-87 Supermag. It spit the extractor of of the bolt carrier. The shotgun may have had 100 rounds through it. Remington Customer service pretty much laughed at me when I asked if they would repair it. I bought the parts from Midway and fixed it myself. I like my CDL and my sons Youth M700 243. I like the M700 CDL's and their M700's as a whole, but I feel like it would be pretty easy to get a bad one. Scotty

Back