Remington M700 BDL .30-06

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I've been wondering something the past few days since I have actually had in possession, my very own Remington M700 BDL in .30-06.
I have been wondering to myself, why I haven't had in the past, made an attempt to buy, or obtain the rifle I have in my hands at the moment.
I've done a little bit of research on the 700 series, and this is what I have found out.
The lineage of the 700 series can be traced back to the 721/722 series that started in 1948. The M700 was another modification to the 722, and debuted in 1962. That was the same year that Remington came out with the 7mm Rem Mag, in it's flagship rifle, the M700.
As of this posting, Remington has made over 6,000,000 M700 rifles. The most of any model rifle made in history.
My research has also led me to to know that the Remington 700 is synonymous with quality, and being touted as the most accurate production rifle made, up until Remington moved their factories to Kentucky, and Alabama.
The personal history of my rifle is as such, it was made in March, of 1976. I saw the barrel code on the left side of the barrel close to the receiver. I, as well, looked at photographic evidence of the 1976, and 1988 versions, and deemed from the checkering pattern on my rifle, that it was made in the 1970's.
My rifle has been used, but not abused. I don't think this rifle has had many rounds down the barrel, since it is extremely clean, and the rifling, and grooves are sharp, and noticeable, but a beautiful mirror shine.
The only thing that I noticed after inspecting the rifle, is that the action screws were loose. So, they were summarily tightened.
I know that the M700 was a mass produced firearm, and it was on the gun shelves of almost every gun shop, and hardware store in it's time. But, for it being mass produced, I can honestly say that Remington had true craftsmen making their rifles at that time. I would compare their quality to Smith & Wesson revolvers, extremely well made, beautiful to the eye, and the action is smooth as butter. Plus, they just plain worked.
I remember when I was a young airmen in the Air Force, and I was stationed at F.E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was soon after I settled there, that I made a trip to the Cheyenne Trading Post, a rather large gun store that had fishing, hunting, and camping equipment all over. They always had the latest Remington rifles on hand, along with Winchester's, and some Ruger rifles. My eye was always drawn to the Remington 700 BDL. The beautiful walnut stocks, with high shine polished stocks, along with the polished, and deeply blued metal on the rifles. At that time, I wished I could have afforded the Remington 700 rifles, but had to settle with a Savage 110 GXP3 scoped combo rifle. That was what I could afford at the time. But I kept longing for a Remington 700 BDL. I told myself, someday.
That someday finally came on August 28th. I never knew what I was missing until now.
I certainly hope that this rifle lives up to the Remington reputation. It was the everyman's rifle, and accurate to boot.
Now, it's a prized possession, and will be maintained, and used for it's intended purpose, Hunting!

Hawk
11f547076559f34e011b10b2614319c9.jpg

87ca804ce07458b9818e42c0ae7ac498.jpg

65d64e858b36959e073c3a54364a17b5.jpg

36fe95b2746524546899439e363b1ee8.jpg

5b958b058f48c6e898622e78125da50d.jpg

If she shoots like she looks man, you’ve definitely got a keeper. You are right about Remington, like everyone else they’ve had their ups and downs in quality.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS around 2005 or so and it was junk. Poorly fitted, cartridges would extract but not eject, and feeding issues in general. I can think of maybe one other rifle that I have gotten rid of quicker. That one was a .270 WSM.

Contrast that with a Remington 700 ADL I inherited in 2001 that was a late 70’s model which I’ve since converted to BDL with the period correct checkering etc. It is without a doubt one of my favorite rifles! It’s a .25-06, almost the Lord’s caliber!

My grandfather won a Remington 721 as a senior in highschool at a half time show raffle at their homecoming game. I believe that was in 1957 or 58. Anyways he still has it, wouldn’t trade it for all the gold in the Black Hills. It too is a .30-06, which as you’re about to find out IS the Lord’s caliber!!

Can’t wait to see how yours shoots!

FJ4E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filmjunkie4ever":1m2spc0x said:
If she shoots like she looks man, you’ve definitely got a keeper. You are right about Remington, like everyone else they’ve had their ups and downs in quality.

I bought a Remington 700 SPS around 2005 or so and it was junk. Poorly fitted, cartridges would extract but not eject, and feeding issues in general. I can think of maybe one other rifle that I have gotten rid of quicker. That one was a .270 WSM.

Contrast that with a Remington 700 ADL I inherited in 2001 that was a late 70’s model which I’ve since converted to BDL with the period correct checkering etc. It is without a doubt one of my favorite rifles! It’s a .25-06, almost the Lord’s caliber!

My grandfather won a Remington 721 as a senior in highschool at a half time show raffle at their homecoming game. I believe that was in 1957 or 58. Anyways he still has it, wouldn’t trade it for all the gold in the Black Hills. It too is a .30-06, which as you’re about to find out IS the Lord’s caliber!!

Can’t wait to see how yours shoots!

FJ4E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response.

Yes, I am slowly realizing that the .30-06 is the Lord's cartridge! LOL

How hard was it to change your ADL to a BDL?

I am hoping very much that she does shoot as good as she looks, as well.
I'm thinking it will. Somebody else took really good care of her.
If she doesn't, I've seen that Brownells has a pillar bedding kit that I will get, and glass bed the recoil lug, along with opening up the forward touch point of the stock.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of the older 700s. The Pre 2000s were definitely the better years quality wise. I've found with handloads and a trigger job, 1/2 MOA is pretty attainable with the more accurate bullets like the ballistic tips, accubonds, and gamekings. Both of my big game rifles are 700s, One is a KS 280 mountain rifle, and the other is a semi custom 700 BDL 7-300 win mag. You can work the better 700 triggers down to 1.5-2# and break like glass if your gunsmith knows what hes doing.

Beautiful rifle Hawk. I bought my first rifle, a 700 BDL 30-06 in 1973. The checkering pattern was different than yours. Started reloading in 1974 to off set the cost of factory ammo. She was a shooter and I suspect yours will be too. Sure wish I still had that rifle.

JD338

Nice rifle Bryce. It is a "good one" and I am sure it will be accurate. Send her to me I'll work up a load no problem.

Shoot it first before you do anything!!!!!!

Remember pillar bedding will freefloat the barrel and these usually like a pressure point. If you bed it just skim bed in the recoil mortise.

BTW fixed your pictures so they do not look like a tossed salad. LOL

HAWKEYESATX":ncek59wf said:
If she doesn't, I've seen that Brownells has a pillar bedding kit that I will get, and glass bed the recoil lug, along with opening up the forward touch point of the stock.

Hawk

Highly recommended:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i122.html

If you think you might install pillars and bed it, I'd buy Ernie's kit now.
He is not young, and based on emails last year is likely not going to be selling these for long.

Congratulations on finding a beauty of a 700. Looks to be in excellent condition. I had a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and it was a shooter. I sold it as I so badly wanted a Ruger 1B in 30-06. It shot the same load as what I am shooting currently in my Ruger. It shot fantastic in two rifles without changing a single thing.

IMR4350 - 57.4 grs. (Or H4350 would be a really good powder to use in working up a load.)
Federal 210 Primers
Winchester brass
Nosler 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds

I agree with Fotis. Tune the trigger up a bit and shoot it first. It may surprise you.

Those older 700's are good rifles and usually pretty darned accurate as well.

remingtonman_25_06":n9qxzevz said:
I'm a huge fan of the older 700s. The Pre 2000s were definitely the better years quality wise. I've found with handloads and a trigger job, 1/2 MOA is pretty attainable with the more accurate bullets like the ballistic tips, accubonds, and gamekings. Both of my big game rifles are 700s, One is a KS 280 mountain rifle, and the other is a semi custom 700 BDL 7-300 win mag. You can work the better 700 triggers down to 1.5-2# and break like glass if your gunsmith knows what hes doing.
Yes, thank you. I will see about getting the trigger pull down a little. I sure do love the wide, serrated trigger it already has.
I'm thinking it will be a good shooter the way it is. Hopefully I won't have to do anything to it.

Hawk

JD338":2z78eiup said:
Beautiful rifle Hawk. I bought my first rifle, a 700 BDL 30-06 in 1973. The checkering pattern was different than yours. Started reloading in 1974 to off set the cost of factory ammo. She was a shooter and I suspect yours will be too. Sure wish I still had that rifle.

JD338
Thank you. I definitely got lucky with this one.
Yeah, reloading is the key to better accuracy with most rifles. No different than for this one I surmise.

Hawk

FOTIS":29mpy0gi said:
Nice rifle Bryce. It is a "good one" and I am sure it will be accurate. Send her to me I'll work up a load no problem.

Remember pillar bedding will freefloat the barrel and these usually like a pressure point. If you bed it just skim bed in the recoil mortise.

Yeah, I'm sure you would love to get ahold of my rifle! LOL

Hopefully I won't have to do much to her, and she'll be a awesome shooter as is. We'll see.

Thanks for touching up the pics. When I edit and crop, I know it compresses the information, and sometimes pictures don't look as good.

Hawk

Dr. Vette":y5ac9a9q said:
HAWKEYESATX":y5ac9a9q said:

Hawk

Highly recommended:

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i122.html

If you think you might install pillars and bed it, I'd buy Ernie's kit now.
He is not young, and based on emails last year is likely not going to be selling these for long.
Thank you for the information!

I saved the site so I will purchase it soon.

Hawk

6mm Remington":3vtq1woq said:
Congratulations on finding a beauty of a 700. Looks to be in excellent condition. I had a Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 and it was a shooter. I sold it as I so badly wanted a Ruger 1B in 30-06. It shot the same load as what I am shooting currently in my Ruger. It shot fantastic in two rifles without changing a single thing.

IMR4350 - 57.4 grs. (Or H4350 would be a really good powder to use in working up a load.)
Federal 210 Primers
Winchester brass
Nosler 165 gr. Partitions or Accubonds
Thank you!

I will jot your load suggestion down. That looks like a winner.
Yeah, a 1B is a nice rifle as well. Right now, you can find some good deals on the BDL's on Gun Broker, if you desire to get another one.

Hawk

SJB358":3c5yojcg said:
I agree with Fotis. Tune the trigger up a bit and shoot it first. It may surprise you.

Those older 700's are good rifles and usually pretty darned accurate as well.
I will certainly go with your suggestion. May not need more than that.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":36ckep88 said:
FOTIS":36ckep88 said:

Yeah, I'm sure you would love to get ahold of my rifle! LOL

Hopefully I won't have to do much to her, and she'll be a awesome shooter as is. We'll see.

Thanks for touching up the pics. When I edit and crop, I know it compresses the information, and sometimes pictures don't look as good.

Hawk

when you paste the picture links hit enter once or twice between each link. That way the pictures do not bunch up. :wink:

I've heard some of the best M700s were those made in the mid 1970's to the late 1980's. It must be true. I have three, a BDL 30-06 1979, and two Classics, a 30-06 sometime in the mid 80's and a .35 Whelen, IIRC 1988. All three have had their triggers tuned up by my gunsmith and the only change made to the BDL was a recoil pad. As I got older that plastic butt plate grew a bit more uncomfortable. The Classics came with pads. I also wasn't too thrilled with the mirror like shine on the BDL so I took it down with some 0000 steel wool and now it looks more like a custom oil finish.
The load that seems to shoot the best in all three rifles is 57.0 gr. of H4350, Winchester brass and WLR primer. Bullet is the 180 gr. Hornady SPFB seated to the cannelure. Do start about two grains less and work up Depending in which rifle groups run .75" to 1.25" and that's good enough for any big game.
Paul B.

PJGunner":3l949yrf said:
I've heard some of the best M700s were those made in the mid 1970's to the late 1980's. It must be true. I have three, a BDL 30-06 1979, and two Classics, a 30-06 sometime in the mid 80's and a .35 Whelen, IIRC 1988. All three have had their triggers tuned up by my gunsmith and the only change made to the BDL was a recoil pad. As I got older that plastic butt plate grew a bit more uncomfortable. The Classics came with pads. I also wasn't too thrilled with the mirror like shine on the BDL so I took it down with some 0000 steel wool and now it looks more like a custom oil finish.
The load that seems to shoot the best in all three rifles is 57.0 gr. of H4350, Winchester brass and WLR primer. Bullet is the 180 gr. Hornady SPFB seated to the cannelure. Do start about two grains less and work up Depending in which rifle groups run .75" to 1.25" and that's good enough for any big game.
Paul B.
That's outstanding! Good stuff to know about the 70's to 80's M700's.

I have decided to use 180 gr bullets, and I will definitely remember that load, because Fotis also uses H4350, and max 57 grs.
I think that's a perfect load, since 2 reloaders offered the same thing.
I'm getting some brass in next week, and will fish out the Winchester ones, and use that exact load, of course starting 2 grs less and work up.
The 180 gr bullets available to me were Hornady, and I bought the 180 gr SST's, and they have a cannelure.
I'm definitely going to replace the plastic butt pad with a softer one, unless I don't think it doesn't kick all that bad.
Thank you all for your suggestions, and help. I do appreciate it. Keep it coming, because I can even learn new things.
You're all great!

Hawk

ShadeTree":grpy4nek said:
Really nice rifle. I hope it shoots well for you, I'm sure it will. Congratulations!
Thank you! Crossing my fingers that she does shoot well.

Hawk

Back