Remington Sportsman 78 .30-06

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hey all!

I wanted to let everyone know that I just scored a Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06.
After all the negative things said about the New M700 ADL's, I thought maybe I could use the money to get an older 700 or economy style 700.
I sure did put my money to good use, though.

HawkScreenshot_20201002-165805~2.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

A second 30-06? Boy you got it bad :lol:

Can't go wrong with it as it looks to be in good shape, can't wait to see how it shoots compared to that sweet BDL you picked up recently.

Congratulations. That should be a sweet shooting rifle. Looking forward to your work with the rifle.

gerry":1fy7qreh said:
A second 30-06? Boy you got it bad [emoji38]

Can't go wrong with it as it looks to be in good shape, can't wait to see how it shoots compared to that sweet BDL you picked up recently.
Thank you Gerry!
Yeah, figured I could use a good backup rifle to the BDL.
Can't complain about the condition. I got it for $300.
I figure, if it doesn't shoot all that well, then I could rebarrel it to .338 Whelen, or .35 Whelen.
Or possibly the hot, new 9.3x62! [emoji2957][emoji6]

Hawk

DrMike":31zb8774 said:
Congratulations. That should be a sweet shooting rifle. Looking forward to your work with the rifle.
Thank you DrMike!
I will definitely give all reports on it when I can.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":fcb6f4c7 said:
gerry":fcb6f4c7 said:
A second 30-06? Boy you got it bad [emoji38]

Thank you Gerry!
Yeah, figured I could use a good backup rifle to the BDL.
Can complain about the condition. I got it for $300.
I figure, if it doesn't shoot all that well, then I could rebarrel it to .338 Whelen, or .35 Whelen.
Or possibly the hot, new 9.3x62! [emoji2957][emoji6]

Hawk

Good thinking, I bet it shoots well though. Even so A rebore from JES kind of like other's we've seen here to something bigger of either the BDL or this 78 is an interesting possibility.

The price wasn't bad at all. Any of the potential cartridges mentioned would be a great addition to the 30-06 you already have.

DrMike":36tdxl2h said:
The price wasn't bad at all. Any of the potential cartridges mentioned would be a great addition to the 30-06 you already have.
Thank you, again DrMike!
It never hurts to have a heavy hitter in your arsenal.
Either of the above mentioned cartridges delivers more horse power without really getting belted, unlike the magnum cartridges.

Hawk

wvbuckbuster":3f493y4u said:
A fair weather and a foul weather 30-06. All the bases covered. Dan.
Thank you Dan! Yup, that's what I was thinking too.

Hawk

Very cool! That should prove a worthy rifle.

I hadn't even thought about the Sportsman 78 in a long time. So I did a little online research and found a cool rear sight that might interest you:

https://cfnparts.com/Remington%20Sports ... t_id=24146

Leaving it a 30-06 is a fine idea, but a 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would be Very Tempting. Just send it off to JES re-bore... :)

Congrats! Guy

Guy Miner":3e3pkawe said:

I hadn't even thought about the Sportsman 78 in a long time. So I did a little online research and found a cool rear sight that might interest you:

Leaving it a 30-06 is a fine idea, but a 338-06, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 would be Very Tempting. Just send it off to JES re-bore... :)

Congrats! Guy
Thank you Guy!

I actually stumbled upon the Sportsman 78 a couple of days ago.
This one was the least expensive.
That's an awesome rear sight Guy! Thank you, again!
The only way I would change the caliber is if: #1 - the bore is rusty and pitted, and #2 - if it won't group worth a hoot, even after doing slight things to try and make it accurate.
Thank you for telling me about JES, I will certainly remember that.
I had thought about maybe rebarreling it to .375 Whelen, but I read it's not any different than .35 Whelen. So, if all else fails, then .35 Whelen it is.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":1dz22eve said:
Guy Miner":1dz22eve said:

Congrats! Guy
Thank you Guy!

I actually stumbled upon the Sportsman 78 a couple of days ago.
This one was the least expensive.
That's an awesome rear sight Guy! Thank you, again!
The only way I would change the caliber is if: #1 - the bore is rusty and pitted, and #2 - if it won't group worth a hoot, even after doing slight things to try and make it accurate.
Thank you for telling me about JES, I will certainly remember that.
I had thought about maybe rebarreling it to .375 Whelen, but I read it's not any different than .35 Whelen. So, if all else fails, then .35 Whelen it is.

Hawk

Hey Guy!

Is there a front sight like the rear one?

I don't think that rifle any sights whatsoever.

Hawk

I bought a Rem Sportsman 78 in 30-06 back when they came out. Can't remember the price but it was under $200. Once I free floated the barrel and adjusted the trigger down to 2 1/2 lbs it would shoot bug holes. Trouble was it KICKED LIKE A MULE. That stock that comes on them is TERABLE. I found a Bell and Carlson composite stock used and glassed it and the first time I shot the rifle I thought I had a squib load it kick so much less. That stock change took half the felt recoil away. After a few years I decided to use the 78s action to build a custom 25-06 with a Shilen barrel. I still have the old 30-06 barrel that is in great condition. Over the years I acquired a HS precision stock and stainless bottom metal turning it into basically a Rem. Sendero. This rifle will probably go into my casket with me. LOL

1Shot":3j9n8jwd said:
I bought a Rem Sportsman 78 in 30-06 back when they came out. Can't remember the price but it was under $200. Once I free floated the barrel and adjusted the trigger down to 2 1/2 lbs it would shoot bug holes. Trouble was it KICKED LIKE A MULE. That stock that comes on them is TERABLE. I found a Bell and Carlson composite stock used and glassed it and the first time I shot the rifle I thought I had a squib load it kick so much less. That stock change took half the felt recoil away. After a few years I decided to use the 78s action to build a custom 25-06 with a Shilen barrel. I still have the old 30-06 barrel that is in great condition. Over the years I acquired a HS precision stock and stainless bottom metal turning it into basically a Rem. Sendero. This rifle will probably go into my casket with me. LOL
That's as good of testimony as one can get for an old Rem 78!
Thank you for your info, it's greatly appreciated.
Thankfully, the 78 I'm getting has a recoil pad already on it. Hopefully it'll take a lot of the recoil out.
I've seen some used Hogue stocks here, and even new, but used Remington ADL synthetic stocks here for sale. I will probably go with one of those if I think the recoil is objectionable.

Hawk

You'll have to see how the felt recoil is seeing as stock fit is so different for each of us. For whatever it's worth I don't recall the 78 in 30-06 I had kicking that bad but I would consider a nice recoil pad anyway.

gerry":3vitvc3e said:
You'll have to see how the felt recoil is seeing as stock fit is so different for each of us. For whatever it's worth I don't recall the 78 in 30-06 I had kicking that bad but I would consider a nice recoil pad anyway.
Thank you Gerry.
Yeah, for some reason I don't foresee it kicking all that bad to me.
Thank you for any info you impart on myself. I appreciate it.

Hawk

UPDATE:

I got my Remington Sportsman 78 in yesterday.
The stock looks like it had been stripped and stained, walnut color. No semi gloss, or rubbed finish. Just plain wood with stain.
The action is still pretty clean, just need to clean it. Bore looks dark, but promising. I think it'll shine right up after a good cleaning, too.
Just a a matte blue on the barrel, and the action seems polished. It has a wide serrated trigger, and a metal trigger guard.
The scope is a BSA GE 3-9x50mm, with weaver rings and bases.
I will take pictures of it later, after I clean her.

Hawk

Oh It will shoot for sure, as long as the barrel is not shot out, and most are not.

Congrats.

FOTIS":3sroi891 said:
Oh It will shoot for sure, as long as the barrel is not shot out, and most are not.

Congrats.
Thank you Fotis!
The barrel does show a lot of promise. Just looks dirty from not cleaning after shooting.
Strong rifling, and still shines

Hawk

Back