removing case lube

velvetant

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
Whats the best way to remove case lube?
Most of my stuff including tumblers are 1600 miles away in storage.
I use Dillon case lube, it's just alcohol and liquid lanolin.
Was thinking soaking in simple green or some other type non-ammonia degreaser and then washing in warm soapy water.
Mostly concerned with getting the lube out of the inside of the case.

I use wetted strips of heavy duty paper shop towels and plunge them in the neck area with a small nylon brush. A .22 cal nylon brush like they use for applying mica works very well.

There shouldn't be any case lube on the inside of the case; it should all be on the outside. How are you applying the lube, on a rolling pad?

Use a Q-TIp wet with alcohol to clean the inside of the case neck.

George

I am lazy
I put the brass in a paper towel and spray brake cleaner on them and wipe me off..

I use birchwood casey case cleaner. The stuff cleans cases inside and outside. It is made just for the pupose of cleaning cartridge brass. It is not expensive at around nine bucks per bottle. All ya due is follow the directions on the bottle. Make yourself Happy-Happy-Happy. It works very for well for removing any lube used during sizing operations inside or out.

GeorgeS":3tfttgvy said:
There shouldn't be any case lube on the inside of the case; it should all be on the outside. How are you applying the lube, on a rolling pad?

Use a Q-TIp wet with alcohol to clean the inside of the case neck.

George

I agree with George. I use the same case lube as you, which really works well. All the cases are laid down flat in a baking pan, mouths away from me, and lightly misted out of a spray bottle. Turn them half way and mist again. There isn't any lube inside the necks if you leave them laying for about 10 minutes and give the alcohol time to vaporize. I only use bushings on my cases, so if you are using a die with a mandrel, there will be a need to make sure lube isn't getting on that and being pushed inside the neck. Not a bad idea to use a q-tip with rubbing alcohol to be safe.

Small batches I just use a paper towel with nothing on it. Large batches I'll break out the bucket and lacquer thinner. It only takes a few seconds in the lacquer thinner, it dries quick and leaves zero residue.

...I just wipe my cases off w/ a bundle type shop towel before I trim/ chamfer, necks get lubed w/ dry mica, no fuss-no muss...

Usually, I wipe them with a think shop towel. On occasion, when I have a large number of cases, they are tumbled. I don't use petroleum based lube on the inside of the necks, choosing Imperial Dry Neck Lube with Application Media or motor mica.

Yup inside of the neck is where I lube---inside. I use imperial case wax and Hornady unique paste. I just wipe the brass down. Never ever had a case of contamination.

I use my sonic cleaner for about 5 minutes. Rinse in fresh water, dry off with towel then oven dry for 15 min. at 150 degrees. I'll do a hundred at a time. That way I can size, clean, trim, prime and load all in a day.
Scott

I use Hornady One Shot which is wax and just wipe it off with a rag. For necks I use Imperial graphite, leave it inside and wipe the outside of the neck.

Another option is the Lee case lube. It will not affect powder and non-petroleum. Just apply with a Q-tip for inside the case neck.

I first run the necks up/down a Forster case neck graphiter, I then use Imperial sizing die wax on the exterior of the case neck and body, run them through the die and wipe them clean with a paper towel. I have never had an issue with misfire's, the wax also seems to clean the carbon off the neck when wiped down with the towel.

I also use Dillon case lube and I just wipe down the loaded rounds with a lint free rag. I also apply it by stretching a lint free rag across by bench, lining up 6-8 cases depending on the cartridge, spray once, roll them several times back and forth, then spray again, roll, and put them in the feeder. The alcohol usually dries off by the time I'm finished loading.

I use Hornady Unique Lube applied with fingers and Imperial Graphite on inside of necks.
They wipe off easy with paper towel. One towel will clean about 20 cases.

Back