Resize after pulling bullet?

Banshee

Beginner
Dec 31, 2007
I made some cartridges that needed to be disassembled for lack of accuraccy reasons. I pulled the bullets with an inertial puller. Do I need to resize the necks before reusing the brass?

Banshee

Welcome to the forum.

It would be a good idea to run them through the sizing die just to square up the case and give consistant neck tension for consistant accuracy.
You can pull the depriming pin so you don't have to worry about dealing with the primers.

JD338

I've done it both ways. Did not see any difference in accuracy so I don't worry about it. JD338's suggestion is probably the best way to go for peace of mind.

I am learning so much from this forum - it's great. Thanks.

JD338,
I loaded Tubbs Final Finish but have decided not to use them. If I understand correctly, I can pull the bullets (have a Hornady collet-type bullet puller), empty the powder, remove the expander ball/deprimer pin from my FL resizing die (I am using an RCBS FL sizer die), then Full length resize my case (or should I partial resize the case?).

If my interpretation is correct, that would be great. I thought I had to (a) sacrifice my unused cases + Federal 215 primers to the waste bin or (b) sacrifice my unfired Federal 215 primers (and possibly an eye) to save my unused brass. With your suggestion, I can save both the brass and the primers and not have to risk sacrificing "life or limb" depriming unused primers.

It will work both ways. Re-sizing or not "BUT" the next rounds you load will be resized and the pressure difference will make your new loads shoot to a different point of impact. Any change you make in your reloading will make a difference. It would be more practicle to resize and make up loads you can duplicate. It may not amount to much at 100 yds but at 300 yds +, which seems to be where most of the elk choose to be, it could make a big enough difference. I've been there and done that (I hate that phrase) and finally resigned myself to go thru the resizing process to eliminate Murphys Law.(If that's possible). :roll: The whole purpose of loading ammunition is consistancy. :!:

Good Hunting
Elkhu :grin: nt

I always resize after pulling bullets. The reason is because after removing bullets out of my 7mm RUM cases with an inertia puller I happened to notice that the mouths on a good number of the cases had become an oblong shape :? Not sure why this occurs but now I resize everything.

While on the subject does anyone notice a difference in accuracy quality when you reload & use these pulled bullets :?:

bobbyrum":1s8rvpyd said:
I always resize after pulling bullets. The reason is because after removing bullets out of my 7mm RUM cases with an inertia puller I happened to notice that the mouths on a good number of the cases had become an oblong shape :? Not sure why this occurs but now I resize everything.

While on the subject does anyone notice a difference in accuracy quality when you reload & use these pulled bullets :?:

I too resize cases after pulling bullets. I found, in several instances, there to be a difference in seating pressure required between a fresh sized case and a case that had a bullet removed.

As for reusing the bullets, since I use an inertia puller with a cotton ball in the bottom, the bullets do not get damaged at all.

I always resize to assure proper neck tension.

POP":18ucrwty said:
I always resize to assure proper neck tension.

Yep, I agree POP! I just shot 7 rounds. I relized I put in Hornady 165
BTSP with a load of IMR 4064 for 150 bullets, so I pulled the 165's
and put in 150's without resizing the neck... WOW at 4" or more
with 5 rounds, 1st two were about 1/2 inch apart but high and too left
the next five started 5 inches high and came down...
I learned a valuable lesson from that... :idea:
If you pull the bullet, dump the powder, take and a least neck resize
the brass, I think you can do that by taking of decaping pin, then
you shouldn't have any trouble..

When you remove the expander ball and pull out the de-capping pin replace the expander ball with out the pin, then size the case. You need the expander ball to bring the case neck back to the proper diameter inside.
I always resize after pulling bullets.

sithlord6512":39a7r8od said:
I am learning so much from this forum - it's great. Thanks.

JD338,
I loaded Tubbs Final Finish but have decided not to use them. If I understand correctly, I can pull the bullets (have a Hornady collet-type bullet puller), empty the powder, remove the expander ball/deprimer pin from my FL resizing die (I am using an RCBS FL sizer die), then Full length resize my case (or should I partial resize the case?).

If my interpretation is correct, that would be great. I thought I had to (a) sacrifice my unused cases + Federal 215 primers to the waste bin or (b) sacrifice my unfired Federal 215 primers (and possibly an eye) to save my unused brass. With your suggestion, I can save both the brass and the primers and not have to risk sacrificing "life or limb" depriming unused primers.

Life and limb are safe. Resize, reload and go shoot.
Glad this helped you out.

JD338

Back