respectable group?

Mark

Beginner
Sep 10, 2006
I have a 6.5 X 284 built by High Score Gunsmithing last spring and fired about at least 65 rounds out of it. I was using RL22 topped with a Matchking 142 grain and Berger 140 VLD's, have not tried out the Noslers yet. The Bergers and Kings were hitting at least 1.5 inches or better at 500 yards with 5 shots.

Is this respectable accuracy or can I do better?

I have not experimented with it much last summer because the crop fields were high and right now the fields are cut and plowed and I can go out there again for the first time since last spring. I have to review my notes and see what worked for me and what did not. Also my .308 Sako tactical rifle shot the same kind of groups with 155 grain Palmas and H4895 but not with the heavier Kings but need to check it out and experiment with heavier Kings for the .308
Any suggestions on loads for the .308 to shoot a thousands yards with the 175's Kings?
Thanks

You have a great load!!! Dont change anything. If your getting under 2" 5 shot groups at 500 yards, your doing something right. Get a good drop chart developed and start shooting long range!! All I have is factory sporters, but they will do 3-4" 3 shot groups at 500 yards. Thats still good enough for any deer at that range.

I used to have a Rem 700 with a 28 inch Shilen barrel with muzzle brake and launch 140 grain Ballistic Tips at close to 3500 fps and prints three shot group at 1.25 inches at 500 yards. Unfortunately the barrel wore out after a few years and it is at the High Score Gunsmithing where my 6.5 x 284 was built by the same gunsmith. ;-) I will be using this rig with the Hunter stock by McMillian and 26 inch barrel for my next deer long range rig. The furthest I have taken a deer down was 726 yards and took out its left upper leg and nicked the heart and took off its right leg with the same BT bullet. I have never felt comfortable shooting at that range but the conditions were just right and no wind and had my rangefinder and ballistic drop chart with me at that time. I normally shoot deer in excess of 500 yards most of the time and sometimes a bit further out.
I wish Nosler would make some nice cases for the 7STW.

1.5" at 500 yards? I would be doing cartwheels! :lol:

:grin: You're doing great! In fact, you should enter a few 600 - 1000 yard matches. Likely to do very, very well in competition if you can consistently shoot that sort of group. The 6.5-284 is very popular now for 1000 yard matches.

Congrats on some great shooting! Guy

I have a real hard time finding a match down here in South Texas. If anyone knows where they hold monthly matches or so down here, please give me a holler. Thanks

Holy Mackeral! That is up there near the panhandle. :shock:
Maybe a little ways south would be a good idea.

Back