Reticle choice

...for a hunting rifle I like the plain ol' Leupold Duplex. MilDots, BDC's, etc.etc.etc., ad infinitem are nothing but reference points. Most are calibrated to represent an est. bullet trajectory or to subtend a certain amount @ a specific power range. Using the Duplex reticle to do the same thing is pretty simple, w/o all the extraneous dots, dashes, blips to 500yds. Leupold's Owner's Manual lists subtensions for fine, wide, center to post, etc. @ different powers, but practice using the scope is more practical. For "Far & Fine" shooting repeatable scope adjustments & adjustable objectives are necessary, but w/ a Duplex reticle the reference points are already there, if you take the time to understand them...

The German #4 reticle is about the best HUNTING reticle one can get. Notice how I emphasized HUNTING.
It is fantastic for hunting. Maybe the best.

On the flip side one of the worst target reticles is the #4. Not all of them but some that have a pronounced heavy cross hair duplex with the left and right side of the #4. It can cover the typical redfield style sight in target left and right bars and that is a problem .

300WSM":sd75irhx said:
The German #4 reticle is about the best HUNTING reticle one can get. Notice how I emphasized HUNTING.
It is fantastic for hunting. Maybe the best.

On the flip side one of the worst target reticles is the #4. Not all of them but some that have a pronounced heavy cross hair duplex with the left and right side of the #4. It can cover the typical redfield style sight in target left and right bars and that is a problem .

Take a look at the Minox #4 WSM. It works pretty well for me. Didn't hamper me too much for shooting out to 600 with a 9X scope. It is kinda open and works well on the range as well. I agree though, it is my favorite for a scope reticle. Will be buying more, that is for sure.

Back