Retirement CA Hog

Richracer1":1nkva08k said:
HunterJim":1nkva08k said:
Rich,

Good deal on your hog!

Since you are bailing out for Idaho, can you pass your VAFB hunting spots to me? ;)

jim

Sorry, as I do not have just one spot/location. The hogs are where they are, you have to go look for sign that they are in that area. If you hunt VAFB and looking for hogs, area C3 is where I do most of my hog hunting. There are other areas, some are rifle areas, others are shotgun/muzzleloader, others archery only. Some areas have good chances for hogs, but you will regret shooting one in some of these areas because getting a hog out will be a nightmare.

Rich,

Thanks for the info...jim

It looks like you gave the Hog an early retirement! :lol:

Are you a member of one of those 30-06 death panels? :p

nomosendero":zzqo6fo5 said:
It looks like you gave the Hog an early retirement! :lol:

Are you a member of one of those 30-06 death panels? :p

Nope, just one of two rifles I have sighted in with E-Tip bullets.

I took a huge Central California hog a little over a year ago with the 180gr E-Tip from my .300 Win Mag. I posted the pics of the hog and recovered bullets somewhere on here. The shot was downhill at about 85 yards, the hog was running away. The first shot hit the spine about 6 inches in front of the tail, crushed 4 vertebrae, and traveled under the hide into the shoulder. The second shot hit right next to the first and I recovered it in the hogs mouth. If I remember correctly, I measured them at 24 inches and 28 inches of penetration. They mushroomed perfectly. The velocity of those handloads is 3,000+-fps. I was very impressed.

I "bumped" my E-Tip story up for you. it's called "Another Pig Story". The pics are gone, I'll see if I can attach them, but for some reason, it usually wont let me.

WildHog11-16-081.jpg

test[/img]

Back