Rifle builds gone wrong

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Anybody here every build a custom and then not like the result?? I have a 31" barreled, 264 Win Mag that I wanted to get lots of velocity out of and instead got an extremely accurate rifle that shoots 70 FPS faster than a 6.5/284 while using twice the powder. I'm still not sure if I should be upset with that or enjoy the 0.2-0.3's it prints.
If I'd gone with less twist it may have shot faster. It may still go faster when the barrel is broke all the way in. And I may end up shortening it to 28" as the 31" is really ackward. I did learn something tho, next build will have much more clear parameters and the objectives will be more realistic.

Next projects:

I'm trueing up a Rem 700 VTR in 223 and rechambering to 223 Ackley. I just want a rifle that is somewhat quickhandling and accurate, chambered in a decent varmint round. Not trimming brass after every firing is a bonus....

Should be done within 6 weeks.

Looking for a Rem 700 to build a 243 AI on. I want a 28" Rock Creek or Lilja, 1-9 twist to stabilize 105 Amax or 107 SMK. Intended use is 600-1000yd target & 6-800 yd coyotes. It will overlap the 264 which may be sold after this build.

No completion date, still looking for a SS Rem 700 SA to build with.

JT.

Stay with the .2's -.3's. You really have a shooter there. An animal will never know the difference if you hunt with the rifle. Remember a 6.5 - 284 is an extremely efficient cartridge and uses powder well. That's why is so popular versus a 264. You really have a shooter there and go to the range and shoot some 10 shot groups and challenge your buddy's. You have the rifle. :grin: :grin:

jtoews80, I know what you mean. I did two here in the last couple years one was a wildcat shot great just didn't like the wildcat got a new barrel and it's now a 30-06. My other one was 30-06 I cut the barrel back just never did like that rifle after that last tues gunsmith called that rifle is now a 30-338mag used a Lilja barrel on that rifle.

I spend alot alot of time on details twist etc trying to get everything right in my mind and that 30-06 I just shouldn't of mess with it.

I think gunsmith is getting ready to work on the 280AI and barrel be in sometime next month for the 300WSM.

Projects never end I'm looking into next year now. Good luck on yours

Yep...., worse yet.

The .260 I had built took right at 2yrs with NOTHING special being done. I took a 700 BDL varmiter in to have a new barrel screwed on / chambered to the Rem .260. Ordered a 22in SS Fluted Lilja in the same Remington profile.

After a huge cluster, I received my * who knows what mfg of barrel * blued, not fluted and 25 in tube.

It's certianly not what I ordered, but it's a shooter @ .2 to .3 in groups @ a hundred. My Dad loves it, so guess that's what counts.

Not really gone bad, but not up to my expectations. So learned to specify & clairify exactly what I want. Really sucked have a great looking rig with the caliber designation stamped loud and proud by a monkey with a 5# sledge and freehanded....

Plus the fact that not all ackleys will meet FPS expectations....

Rod

Black Widow is in the works.

April is the month..................

Looking for a Rem 700 to build a 243 AI on. I want a 28" Rock Creek or Lilja, 1-9 twist to stabilize 105 Amax or 107 SMK. Intended use is 600-1000yd target & 6-800 yd coyotes.

I want to do the same thing but with a barrel no longer than 26".

Barrel not over 26", that is defintely a concern. My 264 is WAY too long. Since it won't go fast anyway, I really ought to cut it down to 26" and have a recessed target crown cut.

I would trade that 264 for a stock SS Rem 700V 243 in a heartbeat, lol. However, I'm still debating just using my 22-250 AI for the donor to make the 243 AI. We'll see how many gophers i smoke with it this summer. If I wear out the barrel i won't feel bad changing over to 243 AI. It is already trued and the trigger is tuned nicely.

I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I am pretty sure that 223AI VTR is going to be awesome. Not a really big long ackward piece, but has a fair bit of range and handy.

That reminds me I am supposed to mail it out tomorrow. Since the reamer had to be ordered, I'm sure a few days delay in shipping won't matter. I doubt he'll start the project until the reamer is on his workbench.

JT.

Friend of mine just had his SPS V .308 cut from 26" down to 22" and target crowned for $60.

I have yet to jump on the 243AI since nobody makes the brass so you have to fire form and my SPS V .243 Win can push 95gr BTs 3250 fps and 105 Amaxs 2940 Fps. But the 243AI would save on trimming brass and has the cool factor! What should i do :?

Think you gonna like like that VTR in 223AI and it should be real handy.

jtoews80, I used a 28" barrel on my 6.5x284 and I use just alittle over 50gr of powder @ 3000fps for the accuracy load in that rifle. At the cost of barrel burn out I could've gotten more velocity using more powder with same 142gr bullets.

I also used a 28" barrel on my 243AI no regrets set that rifle up for 80/87gr bullets getting alittle over 3700fps accuracy great. I started shooting the 243 1965 never figured on doing the Ackley as I'm shooting the 6RemAI used 26" long barrels on those rifles but I have to say the 243AI is a good step up.

I've read that article on 6br about that 243AI with 29" barrel and talked to Berger and I may build something for the 115gr here the article.
http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

I had A-Square build a .450 Ackley in their Hannibal model. It came in at 11 pounds, and I never could get used to how it handled. It went down the road donated to an SCI fund-raiser...jim

Woodycreek":lqfzxkcf said:
30-338,

Did you ever use 95-115gr bullets through the 243AI?

Brian

No never tried the VLD in the 243AI it has a 1/10 twist barrel. After years back I shot a 6x284 and 6Br both had 1/8 twist barrels.

If you're going to have something built - you've really got to communicate with the smith - and work with a smith who will build what YOU want, not what he will put together because he likes it, or because he has the parts on hand...

My VTR was finished yesterday. The action has been trued, the trigger lightened up and the integral muzzlebrake removed/barrel recrowned.

My gunsmith suggested taking the muzzlebrake off as the factory crown was pretty ugly and that is the only way to recrown a VTR barrel. I took his word for it because I have another rifle he built and it shoots very well.

JT.

jtoews80":byol3iuv said:
My gunsmith suggested taking the muzzlebrake off as the factory crown was pretty ugly and that is the only way to recrown a VTR barrel. I took his word for it because I have another rifle he built and it shoots very well.

JT.

My gunsmith just redid his own VTR .223 by cutting off the brake and recrowning, he said it shoot crazy good after he did a trigger job also. They look awesome without the brake.

Never had a bad custom build or anything with one go bad. Had to work out a few minor bugs but all my builds have been great. Of course the reason they were all great builds and turned out fine is that I did not build them. :lol: :lol:

Back