Rifle Bullet recommendations 7mm-08, and ,25-06 (please)

mag41vance

Beginner
Dec 14, 2004
What Nosler bullets do you recommend for 1-10 twist .25-06 (whitetails)

and................................................. 1-9-1/4" twist 7mm-08 (whitetails)

I will reload both of these if I can get some good accurate reloading info for them.

The Rifles are: H&R .25-06 Ultra
Rem 700 LVSS 7mm-08

For the 7m-08 I would go right to the 140 Accubonds. I have had terrific accuracy with them out of my 7m-08 with Reloader 15. They also really did the trick on a couple of whitetails I took this fall.

Long

vance,

I agree with Long, 140 gr AB in the 7-08 Rem.
I would also suggest the 110 gr AB in the 25-06.

In both cases, the AB's will hold together for the close shots and give you flatter trajectories for the longer shots.

Regards,

JD338

I would first try the 115g BT and if that doesn't give you good accuracy, go with the 100g BT and lastly the 110g AB. I have shot the 115g out of my 25-06 for a while now, and it flat kills out to 600 yards.

If you are going to shoot Noslers (the Barnes 100 gr.TSX are awsome)the 115 Bt are the ticket in the 25-06,I couldn't get the AB's to group as well,but may be my rifle or didn't find the correct load work up.In the 7mm08 I have had great accuracy as well as on game performance with the 120 gr BT's.They seem to be constructed a bit stouter than the 140's.

There is NO WAY the 120g Bt is built tougher than the 140g BT. The 140 obviously has 20g more weight and would probly have a thicker jacket/base. The reason why it works in a 7-08 is because the MV is not very fast.

There is NO WAY the 120g Bt is built tougher than the 140g BT. The 140 obviously has 20g more weight and would probly have a thicker jacket/base. The reason why it works in a 7-08 is because the MV is not very fast

I`ve seen the 120 Bt touted on a couple boards as toughter then the 140s. The guys on 24hourcampfire swear by them in the 708, and at velocities that are not plodding by any means. I personally haven`t tried them on game though.

I`ve had good luck in mine with 140 gr and 139 gr bullets at 100 yd and less ranges. The velocity of the 708 isn`t hard on bullets and most mid weight hunting bullets will do fine on deer sized game.

So far as the .25-06Rem. is concerned I think the 100gr. bullet is generally considered the most accurate. At least a couple years ago it was. That could have changed since we've had a lot of improvement in our bullets in recent years. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I use the 120 grain Partitions in my 25-06 and I'm getting three shot groups around .75" with a muzzle velocity of 3008 FPS. Plenty accurate and fast for deer hunting.

I have used the 120 grain Ballistic tip on Michigan's UP whitetail with GREAT effectiveness. 120 yd shot into the engine compartment tipped over a mature doe right where she stood without even so much as a quiver. A 65yd shot through the shoulders required a 15 yd tracking job. A 15 yd shot entered the neck/shoulder juncture and exited behind the shoulder required a 25 yd tracking job, but the size of the exit hole and amount of blood made locating the game quite easy. (This was not bad bullet performance from what I could tell but the bullet took out 3 ribs as it exited, creating a v large wound/hole.) Numerous head shots culling yearling doe fawns required tracking jobs of about 1 yard...
vertically. These are amazingly accurate bullets out of my Rem Model 7. I load them to max.... about 43 grains of 4064 and a CCI benchrest primer provides me with 1/2 inch groups on the range and I can shoot till the barrel is so hot you can't hardly touch it and carve a 1 inch hole out of my target. "Book" velocity indicates it to be about 3050 fps, but I have not yet chrono'd it from my short barreled Model 7. However, the real bonus to this load is there is virtually NO RECOIL. Hot 140 grain loads get a bit tough to handle in this lightweight rifle but the 120's are sheer joy to shoot. Would I like to see Nosler make a 120 grain AccuBond or Partition in 120 grain??? you bet, but to date I am very satisfied by the performance of the 120 gr BT 7mm bullet on game and on paper. I think a 120 gr AccuBond would be slammin' caribou load.

What I'm trying to say is that at higher speeds out of the magnum 7's, the 120g Btip is nothing but a varmint bullet. If impact velocity is above 3000fps, your not getting anything for penetration. Where the 7-08 barely starts them at 3000, they probly work just fine I guess. I guess he was asking about a 7-08, but when you think of 120g for 7mm cal, you automatically think "varmint bullet."

I have shot the Barnes 140gr TSX and the Nosler 140gr AccuBond. They both have excellent terminal qualities, however the AccuBond has proven to be a little more accurate out of my rifle. It's a Rem 700 "Mountain" 7mm-08.

Don't be afraid of the heavier bullets. I shoot the 140's and 150's and have great success. Under .5@100yds. Seems it does like to be loaded hot. I've switched to the Vihtavuori powder, but have had great luck with the IMR4350 as well.

I've been using a 140Grain Partition with 4895 in my 700 and have yet to track a deer after its been hit. Accuracy at 100 yards is on the order of 3/4 inch which is definitely more than needed. Velocity is in the 2700FPS range and is equal to or just better than the 7X57. Deer just don't run away after being hit.

mag41vance":e4a6xqyx said:
What Nosler bullets do you recommend for 1-10 twist .25-06 (whitetails)

and................................................. 1-9-1/4" twist 7mm-08 (whitetails)

I will reload both of these if I can get some good accurate reloading info for them.

The Rifles are: H&R .25-06 Ultra
Rem 700 LVSS 7mm-08

I've had great success with the 100 grain BT in my 25-06 (both the Federal factory loading, as well as using H4831, RL-22 was less accurate with most bullets). 0.7 MOA accuracy, and 3200 FPS.

But I really begin to feel like I was throwing lightning bolts with the 85 grain Combined Technologies BST at 3550 FPS (max load of H4831). This load is also 0.7 MOA in my Sendero and does amazing things in terms of lung damage and instant incapacitation.

Michael Courtney

I favor the 140 grain Nosler Solid Base for the 7mm-08. I used in for years in my 280 Remington before it was discontinued. Unfortunately, the 280 Remington and other rifles went up in smoke with a home fire.

Now that I'm shooting a 7mm-08 and the Nosler Solid Base is available again, I think it is THE best choice for a deer bullet in that caliber.

My opinion, based upon my experience, FWIW.

May I suggest some wildcat bullets?? They are not commonly known, but are target style bullets built for hunting. I have used the 125g in my 25-06 at 2950fps. They have a BC of .520. They hit very hard, and will kill whitetails out to 600 yards. I wacked a 145" class whitetail with them at 440 yards. They will stabilize in a 1 in 10" twist barrel as well. They are very accurate bullets, under .5moa out to however far you wish to shoot. More like 1/3 moa for accurate loads. I had none go over 3/4 moa while load testing. They are made by a guy named Richard Graves, and he is out of Canada.

Here is the website for wildcat bullets. He dont list BC's, but his bullets have very high BC's for there caliber and weight. Higher then matchkings and once again are built for hunting. If you have a cronograph and a click type scope, you can come up with your own projected BC by plugging in velocity and matching your trajectory. Thats how I got .520 with the 125g ULD RBBT. Stands for Ultra Low Drag Rebated Boat tail. Very cool sleekly designed bullets. If you have any questions, dont hesitate to call and talk to him as he is one of the nicest guys I have spoken to. He makes THE BEST long range hunting bullets.

http://www.wildcatbullets.com/

I shoot the 160 Accubonds in my 7m-08 3 days agoe. Got ca 1/2 moa 3 shoots and 810 m/s

Back