Rifle for Mulies and Elk

beretzs":277uzr65 said:
tddeangelo":277uzr65 said:
beretzs":277uzr65 said:
Yeah, those FWT's are a weakness for someone around here, but I can't remember his name right now!!!

I am glad your Dad got his rifle straightened around. I have heard relatively few issues with the new Winchester rifles compared to some others. I would like a little 7-08. I already have the 7RM in a M70, so the 7-08 makes sense, right? Scotty

Speaking of you and rifles, how's that 300 Mag quandary of yours coming along? ;)

Ah, I don't know. I have quite alot of history with the Ruger M77 300WM. It shoots really well, but it is a little heavy. Might get another stock for it. Well, the Weatherby, I have nothing really invested in it, so if it doesn't shoot, I will send it down the road and reinvest the money into a new M70. I change my mind about as often as you Tom. Plus, the 300WM is a great cartridge to have around. I already have a ton of dies, cases, bullets and other stuff for it, so I am not in a huge hurry to change up right now. Scotty

Oh fine. Here I thought I was going to return the favor on you that you bestowed upon me! ;)

Seriously, though, if you have the dies and components, no reason really to change.

You do have me thinking hard about a one piece base for my mounts, though.

I really like the one piece mounts. Seem like a bullet proof combo and with Leupold Rings, I have no worries about that scope ever moving. I did it for piece of mind. Nothing wrong with regular Leupolds though. They both work well, I just like the rail on mine. I still have a bunch of rifles with the regular Leupolds that will never get touched unless something happens. I don't forsee that happening though. Scotty

See, I already have a 7-08 in a Remington Mountain rifle...... very sweet. I would like to obtain a rifle with fairly light recoil (less than my '06) but with more downrange energy than the 7-08. The 7-08 is a great round, this one has 10 cow elk to it credit. A bull elk is a lot more critter and I want a little more gun if she can handle it. CW

The 280 is your ticket to success in this instance. Great cartridge that does it all, as you know.

My ex wife (the one that hunted) used a Model 725, bolt action Remington in .30-06. She is 5'3" tall and weighed about 115 pounds. She started out with a .243 and then a .270 and worked up to it.

I guess it depends on how robust your wife is. I have seen several women who could shoot .375 H&H rifles if they are motivated to do so.

there is alot of imput coming in here and it's all viable - I'm gonna stick to my choice of .308 though - right now I have just 2, a Kimber Montana I bought on Gunbroker for $725 and a Tikka T-3 Lite I've got $440 into - the Kimber shoots 150 Accubonds and ballistic tips to 1/2" 3 shot groups and 3/4" 4 shot groups time after time and this from a 5 lb 2 oz HUNTING rifle that functions as smoothly as a hunter could want - the Tikka shoots nearly as well (haven't worked on loads for it specifically yet, just the Kimber loads) and it weighs 6 lb 3 oz - Now before you start poopooing 150 grain Accubonds take a look at the "numbers" which are virtually the same as the 130 .270 AccuBond and there are alot of hunters out there who swear by that one - I settled on 2850 for mine but I backed of for finite accuracy, had it damn near at 3000 with 2 loads - you can load up some "easy" loads with 125 ballistic tips and get her shooting with you (after teaching with a 22 then 22 mag) and you will have a hunting partner you will most likely want to leave home if she hunts and shoots like MY wife - (you should see the "look" in her eyes if I grab the Montana first ...)

backcountryhunter,

A man is blessed who has a wife willing to share his passion for hunting. Congratulations to you, sir. Introducing our wives and daughters to the sport may well be the salvation of that which we love.

3006":1esnas4a said:
See, I already have a 7-08 in a Remington Mountain rifle...... very sweet. I would like to obtain a rifle with fairly light recoil (less than my '06) but with more downrange energy than the 7-08. The 7-08 is a great round, this one has 10 cow elk to it credit. A bull elk is a lot more critter and I want a little more gun if she can handle it. CW

If the 7-08 or 7x57 is not powerful enough, you won't be overjoyed with the .280 either. Get a 30/06 - you just opened the door to the 180 grain bullets that would offer a significant boost (although I believe I'd still argue that you're in the same class of cartridge).

7mm08 with a 140 grain bullet has the same trajectory from 0-300 yds as the 30-06 does with a 180 grainer. With a well made bullet both are fine for elk to this distance imo but the 06 obviously will have more energy due to the exta 40 grains of lead. The advantage of the 280 or 7mm Mag is that it will push the 160 grain bullets faster, flatter, and a touch further than the others can. I hunt elk with the 7 mag and my wife hunts elk and deer with the 7mm08. It is her preference (she didn't like the recoil of the 06) and as long as she's happy, I'm happy.

A 7-08 is a great round, no doubt about it. I have one and it is one of my favorite rifles. I was just looking for a cartridge with a little more oomph while keeping the recoil down. I think with the speed of the 270 WSM it will deliver a 140 about 300-400 fps faster than my 7-08 will. On a big bull ( she should draw a 61 bull tag next year) it might stack the cards a little more in the wife's favor. CW

The 270 WSM should be just fine. My buddy killed his first cow elk and buck the same season with the old faithful 270 Winchester with 140 TSX bullets I had loaded for him. When he shot the buck, it flipped around 180 degress where it fell and that was with a heart shot. He shot the cow that was pumped on adrenaline having it's jaw knocked off by another hunter (not in our party) so it was coming down off the mountain and the 140 grainer made it do a face plant with another heart shot. Personally, I would go with the 7 WSM of all the WSM's out there for added versatility and because I am a huge fan of the 7mm all the way around. With today's bullets and a good accurate rifle, it's hard to get too off track from what cartridges will do the job I think.

this illustrates where most discussions subjective to the shooter go awry - the selection of size and tolerance to recoil is never ending and so goes the "discussion" ... where this thread started and where it has ended up will show what I say to be true - I will still hold to "my logic" of tailoring a certain combination to a certain person and working from that point ... 30.06, 270 WSM, 7x57, 338, 458 win mag, 22 mag notwithstanding ... I'll take a good .308 any day, anywhere

Yote Smoker, I agree a 7 short mag is a very good round.
However the boneheads who make rifles these days do not agree. Most rifle mfg. do not chamber in the 7 short mag any longer, may be a thing of the past. CW

'06,
I'm a pretty big 7WSM honk, with two of them, but I can see factories not wanting to make rifles if nobody buys them. That being said, I'd sure like to find an M70 FWT or Sporter in 7WSM.

BK":3iaufh9f said:
'06,
I'm a pretty big 7WSM honk, with two of them, but I can see factories not wanting to make rifles if nobody buys them. That being said, I'd sure like to find an M70 FWT or Sporter in 7WSM.

You and me both Kurt. I missed a mint 7WSM in a FWT this Winter and I am still hating myself! Scotty

The 7mm Weatherby is their worst seller also. I think the 7mm Rem Mag is too popular to knock off very easily. A lot of people like me, have owned 7mm Rem mags for almost 5 decades. Just no compelling reason to change to a WSM or Bee.

I own both a 7mm RM and a 7mm WSM. If a good looking 7mm Wby came alone, I'd likely own it too. No good reason to do so, I just like the calibre.

DrMike":1j5guy5x said:
I own both a 7mm RM and a 7mm WSM. If a good looking 7mm Wby came alone, I'd likely own it too. No good reason to do so, I just like the calibre.

I would take a nice 7RM or WSM if they happened to come my way. Heck, even a WBY in a M70 would be a nice one! Scotty

beretzs":1v04l4sd said:
DrMike":1v04l4sd said:

I would take a nice 7RM or WSM if they happened to come my way. Heck, even a WBY in a M70 would be a nice one! Scotty

had them all and to be honest I love them all equally! To include the STW and the RUM. Currently I own the RUM.

Back