rifle recomendations

khh

Another option is the 6.5mm Rem Mag in the 673 Guide rifle.
It is on par with the 270 Win pushing a 130 gr AB at 3050 fps.

FWIW, I just happen to have one that shoots lights out and is for sale. :wink:
Valhalla2011019.jpg

JDPictures020.jpg

JD338

CatskillCrawler":2mmdst80 said:
I would find her a Hawkeye chambered in 358win and call it a day. I agree that she can handle any elk, moose or black bear with her 7mm-08 but if she wants another rifle, I won't be the person to talk her out of it. ;-)

That would be really nice.

I do love my Hawkeye .358; it packs a punch, hitting well above its weight class.

I love my model 70 7mm-08, but I too look for a larger caliber that mirrors the practicality and balance between recoil and bullet energy. I wish more rifle manufacturers chambered in 338 Fed or 338-06.

If she can not handle a .30-06, how can she handle a .338 Federal with 180 grains bullets at 2700? The .338 Federal is essentially the same recoil as shooting a 180 gr at 2700 from a .30-06!

Thought of another cool option today for close range/timber hunts. How 'bout an old Marlin in .35 rem or even a Rem mod 81?

A .35 Rem is a good solution. More bullet weight and relatively low muzzle velocity. They are much better killers than statistics would indicate.

An 8x57 in a Remington, Sako or Tikka would be an excellent choice too. Use underpowered American factory loads for low recoil practice and full power loads for hunting, thought about exactly that for my wife but we have a Tikka 6.5x55 for her now. The 8x57 would be a good companion though....... :)

What's the twist on your wife's Tikka Gerry? Starting to look at the different 6.5's some and a Tikka would be neat. Never owned one.

Gerry's got a great point about the 8x57. I have one in a Remington 700 Classic, and I love it. I shoot 180gr Nosler BTs, but you could back down to 150gr soft-points for lighter loads for practice, and even use those for deer and other medium game. I'd shift to the 180gr for bear/elk/moose, but with what I've seen in performance out of them on 130-170lb white-tails, I'd have zero hesitation believing Nosler's advice that they are suitable for game as large as elk/moose.

Another advantage of matching the 8x57 and the 7mm-08 will be the overlap of suitable powders. Both will do well with the H4895-RL15-H4350 range of powders with a variety of bullets. I'm using IMR4895 in my 8x57, and getting 2700fps out of 180gr BTs. That's 308Win performance and I could bump up to 200gr Partitions or Accubonds and run H4350 and get something on the order of 2650-2700fps out of them, according to Nosler's current data. Very impressive options for the bigger stuff. Recoil is not prohibitive, even with the thin - read: useless - recoil pad on the Remington Classic stock. Using H4895 will give the option of downloading via the "Youth Load" info from Hodgdon, or you could just shoot the US factory ammo which is loaded very light to avoid blowups in the .318" bores of some of the 8x57j rifles, as compared to the .323" bore of the 8x57js.

Don't pull the trigger on a Tikka, Scotty. You'll be hard pressed not to own one if you do. They tend to be a sweet shooting rifle out of the box.

My only complaint with the Tikka is fit. And not how the rifle is built/assembled. Somehow, the Tikka just doesn't fit me at all. I feel like I'm shouldering a bicycle or some such when I pull one up. Just all out of place. Not sure if it's an LOP or drop issue, or if it's some other geometry, but they just don't fit me. Might be something to check out live and in person before you buy one, Scotty. Some folks don't care for the plastic, and I've heard of some difficulties getting small parts or service here in the states, but the reputation is by and large quality and accuracy. I just can't hold one right.

Will do. Great advice. Also looking at the Nosler Patriot and Sako 85's as well. Those can all be had with a 1-8 twist barrel as well. I ran the numbers on the 6.5x47, 6.5x55, 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor and all of them are just about the same to me for what I'd like to do.

If she likes the Mdl7, there is always the option of getting a 308Win and doing a little rebore job. Ta-Da 338 Fed !

How does she feel about a semi-auto, like a Remington 750 Carbine in .35 Whelen? I had one awhile and it was indeed a soft shooter, accurate and lightweight, especially with a low powered scope on it. That is a huge increase in killing power over her 7mm-08 and in a very manageable package! I bet if the 338 Federal had been better received it would have been offered in the Mod 750 also...too bad, that would have been a good one, along with the .358 in a semi! WAIT! I've got it! have a Remington 750 rebored to 338 Federal or the 358! (y)

If she insists on changing, I'd look to pick up one of those pretty TC Icon's they are selling on GB for cheap and look to rebore. You can pick up a 30TC and rebore to 338 FED pretty easy and pretty cheap. As cheap as some of them are going (Saw $525 today for .243) there are many options. If I had the cash that's EXACTLY what I would do for my "next on the list". I own one Icon and it's the best out of the box shooter I've ever had. I was very sad to seem them go, the integral scope mount and handling of the rifle were superb.

Or stick with the 30TC and get sixty loaded rounds of factory NIB for $785

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =489673860

...well, I'd sure consider something in a .325 WSM. You could load it 'down' w/ 150's or 180's to around .308 recoil levels or push it up to near .338 WM energy levels w/ a 200 or 220gr. load that will still be @ a considerably lower level of recoil.My .325 is more 'comftortable' to shoot than my .300, & a lot more 'comfortable' than any .338 I've ever shot. The Browning Medallions see to fit smaller shooters pretty well...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =489564817

...oh, & one fer Scotty... :roll: :twisted: :mrgreen:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =488784601

338 Federal would be a really nice jump. As stated previously more frontal diameter not a magnum recoil. 210 gr and below bullets shoot well

Tikkas are good shooters I have several. I have a couple Tikka wood stocks floating around to shorten when one of the kids is ready.

Doesn't take a magnum and like many others have said, someone who shoots a 7mm-08 well will not be under gunned.

Eric

From the sound of it, you'd be hard pressed to beat the rig she currently shoots.

If she wants something a bit different, sounds like she likes classic styling, you could certainly look into a custom build on a military mauser action with a stock and barrel following the proportions of her Model 7.

I would suggest 6.5X55 Swedish, .280 rem, .308 win or 8X57 in a Model 98 class action, or 6.5X55, 7x57, .300Savage or .35 Rem in a model 93 or 96 class action. She won't gain much over her present rig, would give some up with some of these options, but will be a classic and interesting rifle to carry afield.

A truly off-the-wall option would be to restock and scope a Swiss K-31. Makes a nice fast handling short rifle/carbine. 7.5X55 round approximates .308 win ballistics. She'd have the only one at camp, the straight pull action is very fast and they are extremely accurate rifles.

Back