Rifle slings

Interesting thread. Bill hits on my personal practise. Almost always, when moving into the area where I anticipate game to be, I remove my sling and carry the rifle for quick mounting. I don't enjoy seeing the sling catch on low bushes or limbs. Other than that, I opt for a simple sling that has some form of tacky material to remain slung over my shoulder without sliding.

Lots of great thoughts. I think I'll try the sticky spray on first since it's cheaper and I like my slings, they're just too slippery.
I'll give a report.
Thanks
Greg

I use the 1". I have two that keep getting transfered from rifle to rifle, depending on what is going with me for the hunt.

I'm with Polaris on this one. When I've got a bolt action rifle afield, and am serious about making hits, you'll see the good old leather military sling - not a cheap version either. Mine is from Turner Saddlery and is a superb sling. Mind you, I use the sling as my shooting aid, more than a bipod, more than a rest, it's the sling. Just the way I was taught, and it works afield and at the target range. Someday I need to try the Montana sling. It looks pretty interesting too.

da552040.jpg

With the old fashioned military sling, I'll often take the time to shove my arm into the loop and do it right. I know I've made some shots that way that wouldn't have worked without it. Elk, quite a few mule deer, coyotes, varmints.... The sling was as important as my scope in making many of those shots.

I don't rely on that military sling with some rifles, but with my bolt guns, you'll almost always find that Turner military sling on 'em. Carrying it? Heck, it's just a rifle, carry the doggone thing. No big deal.

Regards, Guy

257 Ackley":1sbvmkky said:
I use the 1". I have two that keep getting transfered from rifle to rifle, depending on what is going with me for the hunt.

I ordered one of them (sling) and a belt! Looking forward to seeing how they work. Look like what I have been hunting for. I like leather alot. Scotty

beretzs":3r2bpxeq said:
257 Ackley":3r2bpxeq said:

I ordered one of them (sling) and a belt! Looking forward to seeing how they work. Look like what I have been hunting for. I like leather alot. Scotty

I like leather as well, even on the rifles with synthetic stocks. The sling takes a while to break in like most leather, but the sling works really well going from a carry position to a shooting position when you need to use it to help steady your shot. I don't think I would ever be able to get back into some of the "twisted pretzel" positions we had to shoot from, but it sure helps for sitting and kneeling shots.

I'm there with Guy Miner. I use a quality 1-1/4" military sling that I can get a good, tight sling wrap in a hurry. I have one sling that goes from rifle to rifle.

Regards,
Chris Ward
"Semper Fi"

I have a couple of them also, and seem to work great too. Those Turner slings are pretty nice. I am going to try this Montana sling out and see how I like it. Might get a Turner also. Could be a sweet sling for another one of my bolt guns. SCotty

Have to agree with Guy on this one. I use the sling as an aid to shooting, not just to help me carry a rifle. His selection is about perfect in my book.
Hardpan

A guy at the local VFW gave me 4 M1907s off the parade m1917s they were returning to CMP. One is dated 1917. All had been very well cared for (they have had a cavalry parade entry since their club was founded so they take good care of their leather). Traded that one to a collector. The other 3 are on 2 sporting rifles and my K-31 ViMBAR gun. The issue sling on my mosin nagant M44 bad weather gun works pretty darn well too. Canvas webb with a simplified rear loop. Functions the same as M1907 to stabilize the rifle without adding tension to the forend.

Gotta give another thumbs up to Turner. I have one of their 1907's that I move from my 1903 to my 1917 or M1, depending what I'm hunting with (sometimes the old guns get out to play too!). I also have a Turner NM "Second" sling....they claim it had a cosmetic blemish, but I'll be darned if I could find it!

Do those of you who use the 1907 have QD sling swivels on them? If so, which do you use? I haven't put a 1907 on a sporting rifle, but I'm really considering it.

tddeangelo":2gy8xpfs said:
Gotta give another thumbs up to Turner. I have one of their 1907's that I move from my 1903 to my 1917 or M1, depending what I'm hunting with (sometimes the old guns get out to play too!). I also have a Turner NM "Second" sling....they claim it had a cosmetic blemish, but I'll be darned if I could find it!

Do those of you who use the 1907 have QD sling swivels on them? If so, which do you use? I haven't put a 1907 on a sporting rifle, but I'm really considering it.
Cheap "uncle mikes" on my Mauser sporter. Had to notch the leather to fit the 1" swivels but works quite well.

I really like Brownell's Latigo sling, have two. I don't have one, but really like the looks of Montana Sling, and put stock in some hunting friends who use them exclusively.

Back