Rifle stock project - update

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
I decided I wanted this to be ready so my wife can hunt deer with the rifle in late October, so I have been putting in the hours on this thing. As a recap, this is a new production Winchester 70 Super Grade 270. I bought it with the idea of working on the stock and really making the wood pop, glass bed it and have a beautiful "custom looking rifle" at a nice factory rifle price.

I have stopped at 8 coats as it has hit the shine I want, but If I keep going it won't adequately cure in time. I am going to wait a week, glass bed it, then wait another week. At that time I will buff it out with car polish (helps harden the finish). I am hoping at that time I will then be good to go site it in and do load development before we leave to go hunting. It really helps working with a high grade factory stock as there is very little sanding work that you have to do.

Really wanted that old school traditional feel (probably should have put a leupold on it - but I can't stand leupold!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: ) but the nearly all black Vortex compliments it well. Going to keep with the theme and load development will be with the 130 nosler Partition....At 3000 FPS, there is nothing in Idaho that load won't put the hammer on.

Attachments

• win1.JPG
    win1.JPG
    646 KB · Views: 947
  • win2.JPG
    win2.JPG
    611.4 KB · Views: 946
  • win3.JPG
    win3.JPG
    560.1 KB · Views: 946
  • win4.JPG
    win4.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 946
Very handsome. I do admire fine wood and craftsmen who are able to bring out the best in such wood. You've done an admirable job. Congratulations.

Great job and terrific wood.
That really pops.

If you do another (or more!) and want to dry them down, take a sheet or two of plywood, some 2 x 4s and make a narrow cabinet about 4 ft or so high. Not real wide. Put a dowel or something near the top to hang it from(the stock). Stick a light bulb fixture inside on the top. If you can find the " old real bulbs, incandescents," put a 100 watt bulb in the fixture. Hang your stock in there after you've rubbed a few coats in, turn the light on and close the door. Check it (obviously :grin: ) and let it go four days or so. Should be good to go at that point.

Yup- that's beautiful. I don't have enough nerve to refinish the stock on my beat up old Ithica. Kudos to you. CL

That is a beautiful rifle, she will certainly be proud of that a are you. Great job. !!!

pre6422hornet":3eeh5177 said:
Great looking stock! What did you use for the oil?

This was done with a mixture of 75% tru oil and 25% mineral spirits...Normally I would just use tru oil but without a thinner it can dry to quick and become hard to work with

Beautiful stock. You have done a great job on it!

JD338

Back