Rifles for Elk

From your list I'd probably grab whichever .300 shoots best and that I was most familiar with. Use a good bullet, be prepared to hunt hard. Be prepared for a shot up close or way out there.

Took my bull with a 7mm Rem mag and a 175 gr Nosler Partition. Couldn't have asked for better performance.

Enjoy the hunt, it should be terrific!

Guy

I live about 40 miles from pennsylvanias elk country and there is some giants around the town of benezzete (where you can't hunt). PA actually put minimum caliber restriction of .27 and no less than 130 grain bullet.

JusMo":e69imq05 said:
Where at in the state is the hunt Scotty?

Justin, I am hunting with Bill (Elkman) from the forum here, and also Brian (Woodycreek). We are looking at hunting around Unit 254 I think.

Fotis, Guy, and the others, I have my 300WM tuned up pretty good right now with 200gr Sierra GK's, but also have a bunch of 200gr PT's loaded up awaiting some range time. The 300's are the king of utility I think. They just really work for anything.

I would have added my M70 7RM into the mix, but my buddy in Idaho uses that rifle with 160gr AB's. I lent it to him on a long term basis. It is also another great choice, but he gets much more use out of it than I do. Scotty

That's a beautiful part of the state. I have family that owns a ranch over there. There's a lot of wildlife, including some big elk. It'll be a fun hunt for sure. Let me know if you schedule a little extra time and maybe we can meet up.

Justin, I am planning two days on the front and rear of the 5 day hunt, so I imagine we can link up somewhere if Bill and Brian would like to meet also! I am sure they would though. Looking forward to hunting Oregon. I have hunted ID quite a bit and love it there, but going someplace new with some of my fellow Nosler mates was too much to pass up.

Do you have any plans to hunt elk in Or this year? Scotty

Not much really to add, other than bring a rifle/caliber that can kill up close and far (might have one side of the canyon to the other shot). I also worry about making sure it does not go far so someone else does not claim the elk I shot because it ran over the ridge. That would tick me off and some.

Corey

Good rifles all. Unless you handload the 300 Wby carries more energy than any of the others you mention once you reach 300 yards and beyond. Up to that range the 338 would be my choice. The trouble in my elk hunting is that I never know when and where I'll see elk so I always plan on long shots and appreciate close ones.
The 45-70 is great for dark timber but what do you do if something happens with the scope on the long range rifle and you don't have time to re sight it. You'll have to depend on the 45-70 for all your shooting and those sneaky elk may not be in the dark timber, they may be out in the sage crossing the ridge at 300++ yards. I have always wanted to use my 450 Marlin but I just know murphy's law. I would go with the 300 Wby and the 338WM. The 338 with the 250 gr. bullet makes a great dark timber gun. Lots of thump and penetration.
More free, overpriced advice. :wink:
Greg

Greg,
Those are some very valid points. I agree that's usually the way it works out.
Unless he sticks to dark timber hunting only, that's exactly what will happen. One can never predict where Elk will be at times.

Don

Very true. Again, great point Greg. It is hard to not take the 45-70 though. I can shoot it pretty decent out to 300 yards and that is a far poke most of the time. I have had a few 400 yard pokes, but most of them have been in the 100-300 yard range. I do like the 338WM alot and hope the stock gets here quickly. I am dieing to get some rounds downrange with it. Scotty

Personally I'd leave the 45-70 at home and take one of the 300's and the 338. I'd use the 338 for timber hunting and whichever 300 shot 200gr bullets the best for mixed cover or open country. My only elk came with a 175gr corelokt from a 7mm RM at 478yds back when I didn't have a re-loader of my own. The 338 or 300 will handle any reasonable angle at any range I'd think.

My next elk hunt I'll be packing a 300WM with the 200gr AccuBond if things come together, with a 7mm RM and 160gr accubonds for backup.

It's been many long years since I've done an elk hunt in Oregon. Friends and I used to go over to a spot called desolation or in and around John Day. We quit going when OR went to drawing for a tag. Yeah, it's been that long. One time I took a new .375 H&H. I figured it's be a good chance to break it in on meat. Another time it was a .300 Win. mag. I'm thining that if I ever did another hunt up that way, I'd take my .35 Whelen loaded with my 60.4 gr. of RE15 and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX. After I saw what it did to a cow elk last December, I'm hooked on the .35. Caution: If you want to try that load, start at least 10 percent below and work up as it's above max in most books. it's safe in my rifle only.
I'll just say it hit the elk just behind the short ribs and exited between the neck and the right shoulder doing much damage internally. Elk was a total bang flop/DRT on the spot. can't ask for anything better than that.
Paul B.

Paul, the Whelen is in the front running for my elk rifle. I used almost the same load you are running on a bull elk in ID a few years ago to much the same effect. I have since switched to 250's, but the trajectory is just about the same to me. I think the better BC'ed bullets in the heavier weight do just about as well. I am going to break the Whelen out here soon and do some more load work with it. I am thinking 2550-2600 with 250gr PT's is possible out of my rifle. That would be hell on about anything I would hunt! Scotty

If it was a big bull hunt during the rut, then I'd say 300wm or 338wm..... them rutting bulls are full of piss and vinegar and are really hard to bring down sometimes!!!!!!

But it's a post-rut spike hunt, right? Here in central Utah, spike elk typically weigh in at around 400-450lbs..... Occasionaly, we kill spikes in mid october that we believe to be products of a second rut. They are short antlered, still in velvet, and less than 350lbs. Tiny elk that still have milk on their lips! And boy are they tasty!!!!!! My point is: yearling bulls really don't need much more gun than a large mule deer buck, I think your 264 with a 130AB would be perfection!!!!

and you know you want to!!!! HAHAHAHA

You are exactly right Chet about the hunt and wanting to bring the 264! I am pretty sure I am bringing my 45-70 and most likely my Whelen or 338. It might change depending on how my 264 likes those 130gr ABs though. Can't imagine an elk shrugging one of the 130gr ABs off. Scotty

You are hunting Elk.
To me, that means a no BS rifle with a no BS bullet.
.338 WM and a 225gr AB fits that bill nicely.
And unless it drops to the shot, ya shoot it a second time. Mess around with elk, and I don't care if it's a spike or a cow, you could be in for a hard days tracking, and that's no fun.

I am with you AS. The 338 is going along as long as I get the new stock in time. I just picked up a 300WBY that could go along nicely as well. Scotty

My BIL hammered a nice 6 point bull (340 points) in the Blue Mountains, near Baker OR last year. I do not know where Bill is taking you, he hunts ID, WA and OR. However if you are going to hunt Roosevelt elk on the west side (Coastal Mountains), your .45-70 would work there.

Otherwise, I would stick with the .300 and .338 mags if you are going to hunt the eastern slope of the Cascades. It is pretty wide open out there.

Back