RL25 in a 270 Winchester

OldMan

Handloader
Dec 24, 2008
I can say I am really disappointed in the results! 2689-2699 fps with a 150 grain bullet. Pressure was mild, accuracy was good (about 1") and it was within 10 fps on all shots. I just can't live with that slow speed! (I never went over 59 grains- maybe more powder would have worked, but I didn't push it!)

Next up was H4841SC with a 130 grainer at 3050 and hovering at an inch group (a little more) which is O.K. for my 22" barrel! (60 grains here).

Then came RL22 in the 140 BT at 58 grains it went 2945 fps with just over 1 1/2" which I just turned my back on this accuracy!

I tried all the recommended loads people have used for years with this caliber and it just turns in so-so accuracy.

Finally out of desperation, it was back to my 140 grain BT with 7828 SSC (60 grains and 2968 average fps.) All bullets touching at 100 yds. My rifle is a really early model 700 that had never been used so it's barrel is still being broken in. It also has a magazine that one could seat a bullet so far out it would be out of the neck and it likes to be seated way out past SAAMI specs. I am surprised that no one has experienced what I have with IMR7828ssc!

Sounds like you found yourself a great load with the IMR 7828 SSC and good speed too :)

There is nothing wrong with IMR7828 and the 140 grain BT. I wonder, had you gone with a slightly greater charge of RL22 if accuracy would have returned. QL shows a maximum charge of 60 grains. My experience leads me to anticipate with medium slow powders such as RL22, that near maximum charge produces the greatest accuracy.

Thanks DrMike, I might just try increasing that rl22 a little at a time as my load showed no pressure.

you would have to run a compressed load with re 25 to see any velocity out of it if any just a bit slow for the 270.

I wouldn't be afraid of running the 7828/140 BT combo in any .270. I've only used H-4831SC, IMR-4064 and IMR-4350 in my .270 in 10 years of reloading for it. I don't use it anymore but IMR-4350 used to shoot great with 130gr SGK's out of my .270. Then IMR-4064 with 130gr Grand Slams and 140gr SSTs was also very good. Now I'm stuck on H-4831SC and 140gr ABs.

I wouldn't doubt to see any of those groups shrink with seating depth changes.

Rl-25 it might be too slow. I have good luck with 140AB and H1000 with G215M ( Federal Match Large Rife Primer) .
Another powder is N560. It gives me great accuracy and velocity.
Vodekz

OLDMAN : I did try 7828 with the 140 AB. 59 grains only went 2750. IMR-4831 does 2920 with only 56 grains. Thats in a 22 inch barrel. RL-22 did better but still not as good as IMR-4831 does with less powder. :wink:

RL-22 gives me excellent velocities and accuracy in my .270. I've only used 130s. It sends the Accubonds downrange at 3200 fps and the BTs at 3240. I found seating depth to make a big difference in accuracy. The Accubonds in particular liked a lot of jump.

Here's the last target I shot with the rifle:

DSC09877.JPG

Sub 3/4" groups with this load has easily become the norm.

Trevor,

I agree that the load you show could easily become "the" load for that rifle. Great shooting.

ROVERT":1dc1u7so said:
I found seating depth to make a big difference in accuracy. The Accubonds in particular liked a lot of jump.

I found this to be true also only I use the 140gr variety.

That definitely looks like a keeper load.

I may sound like a broken record here but I needs to try me some of this Reloader stuff.

FYI - the word "record" I refer to here is a thin vinyl disk that was used to store and playback music using a stylus. A needle-like device that...whatever...google it.

Its kinda like an old DC3 airplane , somethings are really hard to improve on . Reading a J O Conner article from late fiftys toting that 4831 powder was topnotch in a 270 and looks like its still pretty much at the top of the pile a half a century later.................. 58/60 grs according to the gun and its hard to beat it .Same with 4064 and an 06...................... 52grs under a 165 gain will net about 2900fps out of a 24" barrel all day long and seam to be hard to get ahead of even after all these years??????

I have used every conceivable powder in the 270. I never got a powder that would beat 4831 or rl22 for accuracy.

I recently bought the secound oldest daughter a 270, loaded imr 7828 for 2900 fps with 130 bt @ 2900 fps for her to get used to gun, easy a 1/2 " group all day long with this combo.Made me wish i bought one years ago. 8)

Probably the best all around whitetail/mule deer caliber ever available. If you like the groups wait until you see it hit a few deer, and you will really know what love is! I have seen more instantanious kills with this caliber than all the others put togeather on whitetails, and that combo of a lightly constructed 130gr bullet going around 3000fps is most certainly exactly what it takes; to make it happen. I have used one for years, on all kinds of game under 400lbs, to include lots of Caribou and Dall Sheep in Alaska, and many Red Stags, Fallow Deer, and Chamios, and Thar in New Zealand, and found it to be equally effective on them as well. A Flat shooting lightweight gun with mild recoil, that will not let you down, and one the best part of this caliber; is that if you were NOT a handloader, In it's factory loadings it is within 98/99% of all you can get out of it anyway! So for the non handloader, it has a huge advantage that way. Although it would not be my gun of choice for Elk and Moose; many thousands have died to this caliber, and a well placed shot under a couple hundred yards it certainly will do them in. But I feel personally; that it is a tad light for long distance shooting at animals, that may weigh close to a thousand pounds, and except in ideal conditions I would choose a "heavyer caliber" for game that size, but thats just a personal thing, and I am sure someone else may tell you; that they kill them all the time, with one at a thousand yards and all that sorta stuff............................... and they most likely have seduced hundreds of woman, and wrestled grizzlys and bengal tigers; with there bear hands etc.............

I totally agree that RL 25 is just too slow burning to be of good use in a 270 Winchester. In a 270WSM it was highly touted by some writers a few years back.

And while I also agree that H 4831 or RL 22 are hard to beat, do not overlook H 4350. I recently worked up loads for a Browniing A Bolt in 270 Winchester. The first thing I tried was H 4350. A max load gave 3075 fps and 1/2 inch groups when using the Barnes 130 grain TSX. (That being max according to the Barnes manual.)

Like most "06" based cases, the 270 will work quite well with any number of powders. But it does not do well with slow burners like RL 25 or Retumbo or H1000, etc.

I'm a big time 7828 ssc fan! It shoots like a dream in my pre-64 M70 .270. I've got dope on it out to 760 yds only because it's fun to see the jaw drop when the guy next to me is shooting a GA Precision rifle with a 24X Nightforce on it and finds out I'm a hitting way out there, too, with a sporter rifle made in 1949 with a 9X glass on it. That said, 7828 ssc didn't work as well in my daughter's .270 rifle. Everyone here steered me towards RL22 and it really tightened things up. Best of luck and hold onto your hat! You can go bigger or faster with other calibers, but for me it doesn't get any better. A 140AB at around 3000fps kills everything I've ever pointed it at with scary efficiency and light recoil to boot!
Joe

Back