RL26 7mm Remington Magnum

MAinAR

Handloader
Feb 26, 2015
Working up a load for 7mm Rem Mag with 140 AB. I started at 71 grains and moved up half a grain at a time until I reached Quickload predicted velocity. Not having any knowledge of this NEW powder I was careful to track how it reacted as it was put under load and track temps from 35 to 75 degrees. This gun has always been 100-150fps slow so I was wanting to see if I could get speeds up with RL26. Gun is Remington Sendero SF1 with 26" barrel.

Couple of points of interest:
*RL26 is very consistent making predicted speed ( fps per grain) no big jumps along the way.
*Appears advertising temp stability of .5fps per degree seems spot on even at the lower charge weights.
*POI was very consistent all thru the loads tested.
*Groups hung around .5 to .8 moa with all the loads tested, no big changes.
*At 2.3 grains over max load data and no pressure signs.

Just wished I hadn't pulled the 3rd shot in this group right or it would have been awesome. Magnetospeed chrono SD 11 and ES 28 Avg MV 3,310 Temp 54
100 yard target

Dang, looks real good. Plan on stocking up soon.. Got 1lb of RL25 left then I wanna swap to RL26.. Seems very promising so far.

Nice shooting! Looks like you've come up with a good load.

For comparison, I ran some 140 gr Remington factory ammo through my 24" Rem 700 years ago, and it turned in an impressive 3225 fps, with good accuracy. Usually hunted with heavier 160 - 175 gr bullets, but I did like those factory 140's.

Guy

Your data looks solid and very promising. It will be a bonus if/when we finally see the Alliant powders--including these newer powders--available here in Canada to allow testing.

This afternoon is the first 200yd group tested with this load. No speeds cause shot it without magnetospeed hanging on barrel.

Shots number 1 and 2 were shot back to back fast, no wait time. Then waited an hour to shoot shot 3. This gun has always a tendency to string back to back shots so I always test it to see approx what max spread is by couple of bolt and shoots. Anyway very pleased with it so far. Will move longer and track over time.

200yd at 62 degree

Back