RMR

338 Ultra

Beginner
Aug 14, 2011
Just wondering if any of you fellows here own a Rocky Mountain Rifle ? Was looking at Corlane's newest offering the Black Ram and was thinking hard. I have been planning for a while to have my current Rem 700 in 338 ultra reworked, action done, new longer braked barrel and a proper stock. My thoughts were to make a serious long range rifle based on the ultra mag. With nosler brass I will give nothing up to the Lapua. Looking at it from both directions now I am wondering if it is smarter to go with a purpose built platform in 338 ultra or have the work done on the action I currently have? Then again it would be nice to have a rifle for longer range hunting and one for smashing steel. This also has to get the seal of approval from the boss so the sweet talking is already in the works LOL

338 Ultra":70rau36p said:
This also has to get the seal of approval from the boss so the sweet talking is already in the works

Pork loin with a beurre rouge sauce, roses and a silk gown. But then, I'm still single... :eek:

I have shot a lot of RMR creations over the past decade. All have performed quite well; most were in the excellent to exceptional category. Phone and speak with Rod or Greg or Travis or Tim; any of them will be able to talk you through what works best for you. They are pretty reasonable to work with; and they will build what you want.

My old 35 Whelen and current 264 Win Mag were made by them, the 35 had some issues to work out but it all got taken care of and the 264 WM was pretty good from the beginning.

Thanks for the info men good to hear that they are a quality shop that does good work and also makes things right on rifles that they built that don't quite make the grade( it happens from time to time even to the best) Once I get home from out of town work I will give them a call and see what my best options are as per your recommendation Mike.

Thanks guys

Good luck to you; I don't believe you'll be dissatisfied with their service.

I don't own a RMR rifle but have had the guys do some semi-custom work for me since 1997. Last project was they built me a 338-06AI and placed the new barrel on a Sako m75 Greywolf back in 2008.

Great work, service. In 1997 I bought a new Sako m75ss 300WM from them as my first new rifle-they fluted the barrel and at that time, Teflon coated the flutes and polished the barrel. I still use this every year as my traditional moose camp trip rifle. Thinking I was going to be a 1-rifle guy...till the bug bit in 2004.

Tim and Rod always spent time on the phone with me answering my questions.

Back