Ruger 338 Compact Magnum

preacher":2o0ix3ls said:
Well shucks. I'm just keeping this rifle as is. Its a good shooter, will work later on for my grand daughter and I'm just in no hurry. I find very good reviews of the 200gr bullets around 2700 which is easily done by the Federal! I think I'm either going to just get a 338 RCM from CDNN or try to find a deal on another 338 winmag "if" I want more oomph. I figure I'll end up taking the little 7x57 on a cow elk hunt anyway, ha!
If you wait till after the season you never know what might come available. :)

Yep. It seems the really big selling point of the RCM is the 20" bbl ballistics (factory). In a 22" its about 100fps more than a Federal. Not being a Lover of any short barrels but leveractions, I just don't see one of those shorty RCMs in my future. :) I'm not hung up on short actions either, one way or the other. Few people can handle the recoil of a 300WM on up, so I'm seeing a lot of "deals" already, ha. If I got another Ruger 77 338wm it would be a clone of the early 90's model MKII like I had. It was really a nice handling rifle, but that B&C synthetic I put it in just ruined its handiness and the rifle itself had headspace issues. I let my .308 packing hunting buddy talk me into a sweet little Mod 700 .280 Mtn rifle ( which I had Ackleyed) I had a lot of fun with that rifle, learned a lot about 22"bbld .280AIs, ha. With these modern powders I feel well armed with this 7x57 at the ranges I hunt/kill game. I just can't seem to get away from the "awesomeness" of a medium caliber going fast on bigger animals...its "satisfying to my soul"....ha. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up with another 338 magnum of some sort or even another Mod 700 classic 35 Whelen (Ackleyed too!) :twisted: :lol:

Well I did it! I found a MKII, wood stocked 338WM just like I had in '93! It already has a Limbsaver pad on it and best of all...just a tad over $500 and I got it on Layaway! ha. I figure what the heck! I did find one place that would do a Layaway for a new CDL SF SS in 35 Whelen...for a $1000! And that's before bedding and fixing that funky Mark Pro trigger! Nah, I really liked how this model carried in the mountains ( I had a 2.5x8 Leupold on it then) and it will be even handier with my 1.5x5 VIII on this one. I can always load down, but no way could I get the 338F or the 338RCM (well, maybe) up to match this WinMag. Do I need it? heck no...and if it won't shoot...I'll have it rebarreled to the 358NM! So, between it and my little 7x57 I'm happy. I really don't use the old 270 BAR very much, its more of a Keepsake, spare rifle thingy. The little 338Federal can go back to the SIL for my grand daughter. Happy....finally, ha

preacher":3s2pkf9r said:
Well I did it! I found a MKII, wood stocked 338WM just like I had in '93! It already has a Limbsaver pad on it and best of all...just a tad over $500 and I got it on Layaway! ha. I figure what the heck! I did find one place that would do a Layaway for a new CDL SF SS in 35 Whelen...for a $1000! And that's before bedding and fixing that funky Mark Pro trigger! Nah, I really liked how this model carried in the mountains ( I had a 2.5x8 Leupold on it then) and it will be even handier with my 1.5x5 VIII on this one. I can always load down, but no way could I get the 338F or the 338RCM (well, maybe) up to match this WinMag. Do I need it? heck no...and if it won't shoot...I'll have it rebarreled to the 358NM! So, between it and my little 7x57 I'm happy. I really don't use the old 270 BAR very much, its more of a Keepsake, spare rifle thingy. The little 338Federal can go back to the SIL for my grand daughter. Happy....finally, ha
So where's the pictures? Just because it's on layaway doesn't mean you couldn't take pictures. :)

24" barrel or 22" ? Mine is 24" and the newer Hawkeye all weather model. First stainless gun I have ever owned. If you want to save the stock I have a pillar bedded factory stock for the MKII I would let go at a reasonable price. :)
I found a H&S Precision for mine that I like and really turns the 338Wm into a pussy cat.
I like wood stocks but found the polycarbon synthetics really help to get better accuracy out of the magnum calibers for me.
Right now it has a 3.5-10X40 Leopold on it but might find a 1.75-6 for it later. I sprung for the higher magnification since I was planning to use it in Montana thinking the higher magnification might be better.

This is a 24". I will see how the stock looks and I am not sure if it hasn't already been bedded. The factory stock you had pillar bedded, is it wood or the "Boat Paddle" synthetic? I like wood, its much warmer on my old hands, even with gloves! ha My first .280 was a Mod 77, back in '77 (hows that?) and it was a bit "thick" in the midsection for me, but a good rifle. Again, it had a crappy trigger. When the MKII came out I was really impressed how they had slimmed it up, which happened to fit me very well. I like the Hawkeyes too, my little 338f is an AW Hawkeye.

preacher":2vkk44n3 said:
This is a 24". I will see how the stock looks and I am not sure if it hasn't already been bedded. The factory stock you had pillar bedded, is it wood or the "Boat Paddle" synthetic? I like wood, its much warmer on my old hands, even with gloves! ha My first .280 was a Mod 77, back in '77 (hows that?) and it was a bit "thick" in the midsection for me, but a good rifle. Again, it had a crappy trigger. When the MKII came out I was really impressed how they had slimmed it up, which happened to fit me very well. I like the Hawkeyes too, my little 338f is an AW Hawkeye.
It' a after market Hogue stock with factory pillars. Hogue makes 3 different stocks one plain ,one pillared and one with a metal action block.

I still kick myself every time I think about the 300RCM I missed out on. I worked for a sporting good store that held a big demo shoot each summer. We would then sell the demo guns at very good prices. I could have bought a Walnut/Blued 77 Hawkeye 300RCM with a 3-9x40VX2 on it for $350! It maybe had a box of ammo through it at most since the guns everyone always wanted to demo was the ARs, 50BMGs, and stuff that wasn't real common. Still not sure why I didn't buy it other than the fact I was a broke college kid at the time.

I did buy my wife's Stainless Synthetic 77 Hawkeye 270Win that was a demo gun and paid $300 for it I believe. Didn't have a scope though.

DeerTracker":1xxrrghx said:
I still kick myself every time I think about the 300RCM I missed out on. I worked for a sporting good store that held a big demo shoot each summer. We would then sell the demo guns at very good prices. I could have bought a Walnut/Blued 77 Hawkeye 300RCM with a 3-9x40VX2 on it for $350! It maybe had a box of ammo through it at most since the guns everyone always wanted to demo was the ARs, 50BMGs, and stuff that wasn't real common. Still not sure why I didn't buy it other than the fact I was a broke college kid at the time.

I did buy my wife's Stainless Synthetic 77 Hawkeye 270Win that was a demo gun and paid $300 for it I believe. Didn't have a scope though.

Would have been a steal! Sounds as if you did manage a pretty good deal with your wife's rifle, however. Broke college kids won't always be broke, if they gained a good education that allows them to get a decent job. I could see myself being enticed to pick up a Ruger 338 CM. Interesting little cartridge. Won't do anything that a 338 Win doesn't do, but it is different. I admit that I was sorely tempted to pick up a 375 Ruger a couple of years back. I did some load work for a customer, and it was a sweet shooting rifle chambered in a surprisingly fine cartridge.

Back