Ruger M77 Hawkeye?

TBASTIAN

Handloader
Jul 1, 2006
Has anyone shot one of these yet? Other than what is posted on Ruger's site, I haven't seen many reviews in the magazines. Would love to know more about the new trigger, and if it's really much of an improvement. Would also like to know about its' accuracy.
-TB

Haven't shot one yet, but I did get the opportunity to dry fire one in a shop I frequent. I can say, unequivocally, that the new trigger is a big improvement over the old trigger. It was too heavy for my taste (thanks lawyers) but other than that, it broke clean, and was very crisp, with no take up or creep, both common on the other Rugers I have fired. No word on accuracy other than I hit all the imaginary animals I was shooting at with my imaginary bullets. You should have tasted the imaginary barbecue!

Heard they're makin' it in my favorite cartridge too... the .358 Win!!!
Way to go, Ruger!!!!! :grin:

I have a Hawkeye with their new LC6 trigger (light and crisp 2006), it breaks at 5#. A Ruger MKII I got at the same time breaks at 4#. Both can be improved by taking them apart and doing a trigger job.

A good Ruger aftermaket trigger is the Spec Tech unit:

http://www.spec-tech-industries.com/

If you get one, tell them I sent you...jim dodd

I looked the Ruger Hawkeyes over and they seem better than the old Rugers in terms of the SS matte finish, the trigger, the pad and checkering on the wood stocks.

However there is no 'Featherweight' yet. The ones in cartridges like the 308 are way too heavy for me. The magnums and varminters would be better at those weights.

Back