Ruger No. 1, .338 Winchester Magnum

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I got a lead on a No. 1 in .338 Winchester Magnum for $600.

I need a crash course on what to look for on this particular rifle. I've heard that No.1 rifles are sometimes finicky to get them to shoot.

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

For $600 you can fix anything wrong with it and still be ahead.

You stole it! Clean barrel all the way!

Unscrew the forearm until loose and screw it in again at 30 -35 inch lbs. Then start shooting it. then let us know.....

FOTIS":z5a2tznj said:
1S or 1B?
I don't know yet. I'm going to go check it out today. How do I tell the difference?

A 338 Win Mag should be an S. The only concern would be salt wood. Look for pitting where the wood contacts metal.

Well, I passed on it. It was really used and gummed up.

It was probably still a decent deal, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I told the guy that I'd still be interested if he wanted to go lower on the price, but he didn't want to budge.

I really like my .243 No. 1B. That being said, they do set them up with a pressure pad on the end of the forearm. Caused mine to vertically string shots once it heated up. I free floated the barrel. Not the most professional looking job, but it works with consistent groups now. The trigger on mine is also not the lightest, but there's no creep so I still shoot it well enough.

They are a bit tricky to take apart. But there are Youtube videos by either Ruger or Midway that repeated viewings helped me take it apart, clean it and put it back together. Might want to view those and see if you are up to stripping and cleaning it. $600 is a good price, even for a slightly gummed up one.

Back