Ruger Precision Rifle

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well... for the first time in years I bought a new rifle. Went into Sportsman's Warehouse to get some 9mm ammo for my sons, for Christmas presents. Yes, I give them ammo for Christmas, have for years.

And... I've been thinking about shooting some more matches, 'cause it's been quite a while, and I miss it. But... my existing rifle isn't competitive anymore, especially not in the "PRS" style matches.

A few years ago Ruger brought out a very modern match type rifle, pretty much designed for "PRS" (Precision Rifle Series) matches. Well... Sportsman's marked the rifle down to $749... in one of the newest match-winning cartridges, the 6mm Creedmoor. It came home with me. [:D]

I had a 5.5-22x Vortex scope that was sitting around, doing nothing, and a bipod too.

Don't have any dies for it yet, soon. Meanwhile I just picked up a box of Hornady match ammo for it. That should do fine for zeroing the rifle and getting to know it.

It's big. Ugly. Heavy. And hopefully accurate. Should have very light recoil, with just a 6mm cartridge, the heavy weight, the stock design, and a muzzle brake. I think it will be much fun at the range!

3eyClJEl.jpg

2jo0CYUl.jpg

32k4cfgl.jpg

Anyone else using one of these? Rifle or cartridge?

Guy

Looks awesome. Great deal btw. Been thinking of getting upper for one on my AR 15, in 243 LBC 24”. From what I’ve heard the Ruger’s shoot lights out. Good luck let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guy,

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.
The Ruger Precision Rifle is a top notch performer, and from what I understand, the 6mm Creedmoor is a really good up close, to very long distance Target/Varmint rifle.
It's much better than the .223, and won't batter your shoulder all day either
That was a great price you got for as well!
Enjoy your many times Target practicing with your new rifle.
I've always thought that a rifle doesn't have to be beautiful to perform. Just so long as does perform. And it will.
I've been a .243 (6mm) fan for many, many years, and it does an outstanding job in the long distance shooting arena.
It also shoots way above it's paper ballistics would have you believe too.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I think shooting my friend's really cool 224 Valkyrie bolt action rifle a couple of weeks ago got me thinking more and more about a new, match-type/precision rifle.

Guy

Looks like fun Guy! I feel Ruger builds a good solid firearm and I hope you are very happy with it! Too bad they didn't just chamber the 6mm Remington with the 1-8 twist and load some high BC target bullets for it. Would have worked just as well. Okay you know us 6mm Remington fans are a tight group. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

David

Wow I might need to stop by sportsman’s and see if they have any more of that 9mm ammo........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coop22250":21yswivz said:
Wow I might need to stop by sportsman’s and see if they have any more of that 9mm ammo........

:grin: They do. Just don't get distracted by the gun counter like I did... :mrgreen:

If this thing shoots as well as I hope it will, I'll be taking it out to 1,000, perhaps farther.

My 308 "Green Machine" was never intended for use beyond 600 meters.

This is going to be fun! :mrgreen:

Look out Rommel! The cheap Ruger is about to make a debut. :grin:

That is excellent, Guy. I'll be looking forward to your work at distance. Yeah, Rommel may need to watch his six; you may be coming up strong on his tail shortly.

Well I’ve got 2 guns on order right now so I better quit.

One is a 20” Rem Model 7 SS in 300wsm. You only take a 26” barrel through the alders of Alaska hunting mountain goats once, you will be looking for a hacksaw about halfway up the Kenai mountains.

Then a 300 Blackout in model 7 I’ve been wanting for a plinker, they still have a few of the 16.5” left, so I ordered one. It’s basically a 7.62x39 or 30-30 with a bit lighter bullets, it’ll be just fine for my young boy to shoot small deer with 125 gr, the 223 model 7 SS for him to practice with is good too.

Yeah I know, I have a model 7 sickness, I looked for some pills at the gun shop and ended up with another model 7.

1bf35e6119afd9066e8cdc868d380c8c.jpg

Here’s my model 7 308 [emoji85]

Wow that looks like nice brass. I’m in the process of collecting all the SS 7’s, 223,243, 260, 7mm-08, 300 BO, 308, 300wsm, turn 2 into 338 fed, 358 win. Be more than I ever need, but my boy can progress through them as he’s pretty small.

Hey! That looks like a black rifle.... :? :shock: !! Just kidding...and just a little jealous :) . Should be great fun exploring the potential in that set up. Matches sound like something you will enjoy and likely do very well with. Glad you decided to do that for yourself. Look forward to what you will discover. CL

Guy; Should be a fun shooting rig.
A friend has it in6.5 Creedmoor, then bought barrels/etc to be able to switch over to 243 and 308 too. Need to ask him if he's goingto pick up same for 6mm Creedmoor too.

coop22250; Sounds like a fun collection of short action rifles. If you have not shot or hunted with the 338 Federal or 358 Win yet, you will have fun with them! Two great cartridges that are highly underrated.

Guy, I built my wife a 6mm CM and I shoot the crap out of it. I really like it. Took it out to 1,200 yards a few weeks ago. I have been shooting the 105 VLD out of it for a few years now. My wife has taken 3 bucks with it and they have been very impressive kills. I have tried RL-26 and H4350. RL-26 got me clear up to 3350 fps with decent groups out of a 26" tube. I couldn't get the ES down low enough to make me happy. Switched to H4350 and settled on a load that shoots 3130 fps in the .3" range and has an ES under 20. At the moment I'm using some Hornady 6.5 CM brass that I necked down and turned the necks on. If I had to do it again I would order the alpha munitions brass. I picked up some of their brass in 22 Creedmoor and it is really, really nice brass.

I believe you'll be very happy with what that little 6mm is capable of. Congrats.

Back