Rust from the back of the safe.

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
So came across this today, and has me a little concerned. Barreled action that i had in the back corner of my gun safe, all stainless except the bolt. Not quite sure how to explain it. It would have been there a year at most. Ruger 77/357 stainless beside it also showed some on the barrel and action, and a little on an old blued model 94 on the lever and action.
It cleaned right up with some flitz and a cloth, bolt took a bit more. Did I maybe wipe it down with something I shouldn't have when i put it away? The rest of the guns in the safe are fine, both blued and stainless. Ive never had an issue in the 8 years weve been here. I keep a rechargeable dehumidifier with the beads in the safe, went and bought a rod today. Relatively dry Montana climate.

Any thoughts?

Photos added

Attachments

• 20240902_162914.jpg
    20240902_162914.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240902_162842.jpg
    20240902_162842.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 20
No idea about your issue but I had the action on an over/under shotgun start showing some surface rust around the action but nowhere else and no other guns. Cleaned it up and wiped down with a different protectant and no more rust. So maybe try something different. Just a guess. Dan.

I think the golden rod will help keep moisture away. I had one in my Liberty safe in a Michigan basement for 20+ years and never had a problem.

JD338
Both of my safes are below grade and a Golden Rod in each one also.

I have something similar going on with a Ruger stainless 357mag 6" barrel. I have a rod in the bottom back of the safe and the pistol is on a top shelf in a cloth case. Everytime i take it out it has surface rust on it. I clean it up and put it back and next time I check it has started again. I recently took it out of the case and moved it to the bottom closer to the rod and it appears to be making a difference, only time will tell. It's the only gun i have in the safe that has done that. Mike

My Browning safe has a Browning 110v dehumidifying rod that is never off. I've got a Goden Rod in a storage cabinet that is also run 24/7. Neither location has ever seen a bit of rust. Wiping everything down with a good rust inhibitor is never a bad idea.

Back