Rusted Barrel

CatskillCrawler

Handloader
Jul 30, 2011
I was just prepping brass for a friend's M70 Fwt in .223Rem. I went to clean the rifle and determine max OAL for 55gr NBTs when I had difficulty pushing the first wet patch through.

Rutro.

I finally got a brush through it and it's ugly. I spent a good hour working a CLP-soaked brush through it and then cleaning out the mess with patches. I never came close to getting a clean patch out of it.

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow and see what it has left. I've never shot this rifle before so have no idea what it's lost if anything. Shame as it's a beauty with CF-type bolt and nice furniture.

What I was thinking. I'm going to look thru the 5.56 brass he provided and see if I can gain any info from the head stamps.

Will increased coefficient of friction drive pressure in this barrel higher than normal?

I've been soaking in Kroil. Going to brush the heck out of it until it I get the scale rust out. Then determine condition of lands and bore. Push some bore paste thru to try and smooth it out. If it looks too ugly after 3-4 hrs of brush work, I'll give up on it.

I've seen some barrels with serious pitting which shot ok. It's his decision as to what he will tolerate. Knowing him, I see a call to Hart barrels in the next week or so...

Oldtrader3":37wayj5h said:
I would not shoot it!

Thanks for the warning Charlie. I'll do my best to get it back to serviceable condition before we venture on the idea of shooting it again.

Back