S&W 629-1 8 3/8" Barrel - Looking for fun loads -44 Magnum

flyingagg

Handloader
Dec 16, 2019
I decided to resurrect my old S&W 629-1 8 3/8" Barrel. Just in case some are not sure , it is a 44 Rem Mag. Has not seen action in years. Had a Leupold scope on it and I decide to go back to the standard iron sights. I was able to find one and just install it.

Now I am looking for suggestions for fun loads to enjoy this piece of fine American Engineering.

I have RCBS dies, H110, 2400 but would not mind trying other powders. Don't have any bullets, so I am not set in any way. Just looking for fun.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

Good Shooting Everyone!

ASD

AA#9. I have great luck w/ a 215 Lyman Kieth style w/ gas check 1,400 FPS> great boar load.
Whats the goal? Target/Plinking, consider 200 Grain backed by unique for low recoil.

I have a 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. I have been loading 240 Keith style hard cast over 10 gr of unique for several years. I think velocity has been around 1150 fps. I think I got that load from a John Taffin article, which he called his working load for 44 magnum if I'm not mistaken. The 44 is a wonderful cartridge is just so versatile.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I cant remember my load for 2400 powder, but I did like it better that H110. H110 will get more speed, but 2400 seemed easier to load for me.

Thanks. I am just looking for fun/plinking. The gun had a scope when I bought it and I never enjoyed it. Decided to go back to factory sights. Being a 629-1, it was really hard to find one, but I did. I have a similar gun in 357 and that is my favorite shooting gun. I hope to enjoy this is much. I just enjoy the large frame S&W with standard wood grips.
Again Thanks

Cleveland48":61yn0upp said:
I have a 29 with 8 3/8" barrel. I have been loading 240 Keith style hard cast over 10 gr of unique for several years. I think velocity has been around 1150 fps. I think I got that load from a John Taffin article, which he called his working load for 44 magnum if I'm not mistaken. The 44 is a wonderful cartridge is just so versatile.

Yup 8.5 - 10 grains of Unique and a 240/250 grain cast bullet is a time-honored load for the 44 mag. I shoot quite a few of those. (y)

A 240/250 gr bullet at around 1,000 fps doesn't impress as much as a full power 44 mag load, but it's powerful enough in it's own right, and a lot easier to shoot.

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy. We don't always want to load/shoot for bear. Sometimes we just want to shoot for fun. This is exactly what I am looking for. Now just trying to get the supplies together.

Again thanks

Good Shooting!!!
ASD

Don't try to load H110 or 2400 down to light to medium loads. These powders are meant for full power loads. Old Elmer Keith's load was 22 grs 2400 and his 250 gr SWC. This is a very heavy load. Unique is what I used to load down with. 8 grs with Elmer's 250 gr SWC in both a Ruger super black hawk and a Red Hawk I had was about like a a target HBWC load in a 38 Special. Accurate and a pussy cat in those heavy revolvers. 10 gr will do between 1000 and 1100ish depending on barrel length and is PLENTY for deer hunting at woods distance. I can't remember the charge off the top of my head but it was heavy and it was with 2400 and the 180 gr Sierra JHC out of a 7 1/2" Red Hawk. I killed a couple deer with it in the 40 to 50ish yard range in the woods. Talk about looking like lightening striking something. Neither took a step with broadside heart lung shot.

When I think of the S&W 29 I think of this:
I was a teenager when I went to the movies and heard "This is a 44 magnum the worlds most powerful handgun and can blow a mans head clean off. Do you feel lucky punk." or something to that effect.

Yup, a 250 gr LSWC bullet at 1000+ fps is no joke.

And awfully easy to shoot well from a good 44 revolver. (y)

Thank you both. Of all the revolvers I tried, even though I have small hands, only the large frame S&W and Large Frame Colt (Python) felt right in my hand. I couldn't afford a Colt back then saw I ended up with a 27-2 and a 629-1 both with 8 3/8". Love the 27-2. I hope now that I took the scope off of the 629-1 I will love that as well.
Again thanks

Guy and 1Shot,
Would you still used Magnum primers with the 240grn cast and 8-10 grn Unique or would you just use large pistol?

flyingagg":1fnfvm1a said:
Guy and 1Shot,
Would you still used Magnum primers with the 240grn cast and 8-10 grn Unique or would you just use large pistol?
I have always used large pistol with unique in my 44.

Thanks. I just loaded 50 240 gr Speer SWC, Fed 150 (Large Pistol) and 10 gr Unique. My manual says max is 11.7 so I should be good. Just want to check the revolver and sights.
Again thanks

Back