Sabots vs Powerbelts, loose vs pellets

bsmith

Beginner
Aug 26, 2007
Okay, I'll admit it - I got into muzzleloader hunting the lazy way, with Powerbelts and 777 pellets. I was told that the sabots created too much plastic residue in the barrel and required rigorous cleaning between shots. The pellets just seemed like an idiot-proof way to go. The rifle has taken two deer this season so the combination at least works okay. But I'll bet it can be improved. Over the coming winter I'd like to have some fun working up loads for the rifle. It's a .50 cal Remington Genesis. I know that you have to be careful with loose powder because you can't substitute it for the pellets, weight for weight. You have to go by volume, correct?

Any suggestions?

Any time I work up a load I start out with 777 FFG at 80 grains and work up. I have not had alot of luck with powerbelts but know guys who have.

Right now I am using T/C Shockwaves but plan on trying some PR Bullets and Nosler bullets during the off season.

Not that the Shockwaves are not working, 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I just worry about expansion. I am not shooting a very stout loud velocity wise. So far the bullet has performed 100% for me, guess I'm just bored.

I clean the bore after every two shots on the range no matter what I'm shooting. I just put a bit of T/C #13 on a patch and run it up and down the bore. I then follow it up with dry patches.

I have been using militec-1 on my bore after a through cleaning and have had no problems with plastic fouling. The militec-1 is a dry lube and adheres to your metal via heat. I also use their grease on my breech plug. I have never had a problem with getting the breech plug out.

I shoot 110 gr of 3F 777 and keep about a 4 inch group at 100 yards with open sights. I shoot the 444 grain Power Belt. This is what I use for White Tail deer and Elk. If I could see and shoot better, :roll: the group would probably be better. This is in a Traditions Persuit Pro.
JDmag

You can "tune" your load with loose powder where the pellets only allow 100 or 150 grain charges. I hear the loose packs better also. 110 grains of powder with a 295 powerbelt works great in my encore. Groups fall apart with 150 grains. I am looking forward to trying out the new hornady bullets. If I could use sabots I would try the plastic tipped hornady who by the way makes the TC Shocwave sabot and are less expensive.

I have had some really good groups with Parker Hydra Cons Ballistic Extremes 250s and killed a big Iowa Buck with them.

http://www.parkerproductionsinc.com/ago ... e&ppinc=1a

1203071235.jpg
[/img]

Back