Sako paint job finished

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I finally got my first paint job finished on my Sako. After a long look at other paint schemes I settled on the olive/ black webbing. The olive turned out a little glossy, but it'll do. I used acrylic urethane for the olive and Krylon webbing spray over it.
SakoAV338WM.jpg

Thank you, DrMike. Now if I can get her to shoot, I'll be very pleased.

First of all it looks great! I've never seen that color scheme before but I think it's my favorite now. Can you share a little info on the procedure and type of paints? I think I'd like to try it if it's not too tricky.
Greg

Sorry about the delay, had a dove shoot sat. and cooked for a group of friends yesterday.

I started by stripping off the old paint (had an odd camo pattern with silver in it???) wich was a real pain. A plus would be a plain synthetic stock to start with. I picked up some olive drab acrylic urethane at my local auto parts store that they mixed for me. I'm pretty sure that you can find some good paint in spray cans to use for the base if you dont have access to a spray gun. If I didn't have a spray gun I'd get a Duracoat kit for this step because it comes with a sray gun. Next I sprayed the webbing (Krylon) that I ordered from K-Mart online when the base was still a little tackey. I purchased two 4 oz. cans of the webbing for $19 including shipping. I got two cans because one to practice with (good idea) and one to paint with. That's about it, the worst part was by far the stripping part.

All in all, it was pretty fun and I'll definately do it again on another one. My Tikka T3 is starting to look pretty plain now that I think of it. :grin: I think I'll go with the Duracoat next time and do the barrel too. Just dive in and do it, you'll probably enjoy it. The best part is when you're finished, you'll have a rifle that YOU painted. Good luck, and post pics.

Back