Salmon fishing pictures for saskboy 2016

I haven't checked in for a while but thought I would tonight. It was fun to have Dan and Nettie here and are a wonderful couple. I wish fishing would have been better but you can't predict what will come in with each high tide (oddly enough things have been better lately). I'm glad Dan was able to hook some fish in the Kitimat, we hooked a lot that day but lost most of them which is how it goes sometimes, still got some in though that were in nice shape. Like has been said already those chums are excellent fighters and in the Kitimat can top 25 lbs. I do hope Dan makes it out again and this time we could also set up a charter on the ocean for some bottom fish and salmon, Dan mentioned he would love to land a halibut one day. After I get back from hunting deer in early September I will get Dan's smoked canned fish ready and send it out on the bus.

I did go out this morning and had a good day (other than losing an obscene amount of gear on the bottom :evil: ) My cousin fishes the same spot an uses 40 lb mono while I was using 20, and switched to 25 a couple of days ago, I keep hooking his lost set ups and can't break them off so would loose my gear. Thinking of going to a 50 or 65 lb test braid and running a 25 or 30 lb leader and see it I can break off the line out there and maybe get some of my gear back.

I did find a drift where I didn't snag up too bad though and managed to land sockeye, pink, coho, chum and steelhead so thought that was pretty neat to catch them all in one morning.

Gerhard, where you went yesterday was that the spot we didn't get to (you called the rough winding road)?
I am sure glad you were able to land a few fish as they are a great fight (y).
Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts on inviting us up to your home it truly is beautiful and we sure loved being with both you and Maria.
You never know we might make it up there again one day :)!!

Blessings,
Dan

We loved having you guys here and you are welcome back any time. If you can make it next year I can arrange a charter for us all out to the ocean which you will love.

I caught all those fish the other day at the same spot we fished for sockeye, for some reason lately the mornings have been better than the evenings. Since we leave for hunting on Sunday I'm not sure I'll get out again before then but you never know.

Well last night we had my hunting partner/best friend of 45 years over for BBQ sockeye! My wife out did herself as she stuffed it with lemons, onions & some garlic, fennel seeds. It was excellent, with some wild rice & veggies!!
Thank you Gerry as we will have those memories of a great vacation forever (y).

Blessings,
Dan

gerry":2hhcuw8x said:
I haven't checked in for a while but thought I would tonight. It was fun to have Dan and Nettie here and are a wonderful couple. I wish fishing would have been better but you can't predict what will come in with each high tide (oddly enough things have been better lately). I'm glad Dan was able to hook some fish in the Kitimat, we hooked a lot that day but lost most of them which is how it goes sometimes, still got some in though that were in nice shape. Like has been said already those chums are excellent fighters and in the Kitimat can top 25 lbs. I do hope Dan makes it out again and this time we could also set up a charter on the ocean for some bottom fish and salmon, Dan mentioned he would love to land a halibut one day. After I get back from hunting deer in early September I will get Dan's smoked canned fish ready and send it out on the bus.

I did go out this morning and had a good day (other than losing an obscene amount of gear on the bottom :evil: ) My cousin fishes the same spot an uses 40 lb mono while I was using 20, and switched to 25 a couple of days ago, I keep hooking his lost set ups and can't break them off so would loose my gear. Thinking of going to a 50 or 65 lb test braid and running a 25 or 30 lb leader and see it I can break off the line out there and maybe get some of my gear back.

I did find a drift where I didn't snag up too bad though and managed to land sockeye, pink, coho, chum and steelhead so thought that was pretty neat to catch them all in one morning.
I would keep that spot a secret. To catch four of five salmon species plus a steelhead in one day, remarkable.
Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That spot is right beside a road so that isn't going to happen :) In mid to late August sometimes a guy can get lucky and hook every species of salmon in a day but that would be rare. Chinook are few and far between that time of year and most of the chum that come in stay in the lower river to spawn and don't make it up where we are. It was a good day.......

This year the sockeye run was quite good, the pink's were poor, coho has been excellent, chinook was poor, chum was decent and the steelhead run has been very strong. The sockeye run is estimated to break 1.5 million fish coming up the river this year which is pretty good, some years it is more and others less, Of the sockeye run 90% of those fish head to Babine Lake . There are still sockeye coming up but the run is probably 99% done now.

Thank you for the information gerry it is hard to fathom that this many fish actually are using the river AMAZING (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back