Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag real shooter

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
You all have all ready seen some of the groups with my Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag. Here are the four groups I shot today which illustrates the consistency of this rifle.

IMG_0123_2.jpg

165gr HPBT - H1000 3114fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer
IMG_0130.jpg

165gr HPBT - (1/10gr more) H1000 3119fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer
IMG_0131.jpg

165gr HPBT - IMR4350 3218fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primer
IMG_0133.jpg

180gr Ballistic Tip - IMR4350 3091fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primers
IMG_0134.jpg

Yes, I am more than pleased with this rifle. GB300wm got me to do the 20MOA rail and the tactical rings and I am so glad I did. Really holds this scope like it is in a bear trap, does very well under the recoil and no scope or base movement. This rifle should be a lot of fun this hunting season for sure. :)

DrMike":ptwic4r3 said:
Look good, Mike. It is a shooter, for sure.

Thanks!! You know Mike, I was sure hoping so, because I really do like the 300Win Mag and I did not want to have to do any work to the rifle to get it to shoot. I am so happy that it is preforming so well and in a few hundred more rounds it should even do better especially with the heavier bullets. :) Yep, I am feeling good about this one.

Mike -

I thought you had just finished working (re-working actually) up your 30-06 for hunting season? Already switching to the .300 WM? :grin:

Whichever one you choose, I'm sure it will kill a MS whitetail just fine.

Scott Spencer":9tv6stfx said:
Mike -

I thought you had just finished working (re-working actually) up your 30-06 for hunting season? Already switching to the .300 WM? :grin:

Whichever one you choose, I'm sure it will kill a MS whitetail just fine.

Scott, I am trying to finish an article I started two years ago on the 300Win Mag and decided I would hunt this year and maybe next depending on how this one goes so I could finish the article with a little more info and experience.

bullet":ri77whk4 said:
Scott, I am trying to finish an article I started two years ago on the 300Win Mag and decided I would hunt this year and maybe next depending on how this one goes so I could finish the article with a little more info and experience.
Sounds like fun!! Good luck with it and hopefully you'll have a lot of success this fall. I hope to get to hunt up around Tunica some this fall between the levee and the river.

Scott Spencer":2yul88cr said:
bullet":2yul88cr said:
Sounds like fun!! Good luck with it and hopefully you'll have a lot of success this fall. I hope to get to hunt up around Tunica some this fall between the levee and the river.

Good luck to you this season also.

GB300wm":27dmuv3e said:
WOW Mike, I think she's turned the corner. Great shooting... :grin: :grin:

Yep, I believe you are right about it turning the corner. This 300Win mag is shooting different weight bullets, different powders and different combinations of primers and shooting them all good to very good. Getting to the point that I can buy a bunch of a certain bullet and a lot of one or two powders and do all I want to do when hunting with this baby. :)

Have you thought about trying the 200gr Nosler AB? They would be an outstanding bullet, espically at long range. Accurate rifles are a lot of fun.

ACLakey":32vyh3ur said:
Have you thought about trying the 200gr Nosler AB? They would be an outstanding bullet, espically at long range. Accurate rifles are a lot of fun.

It is one of the bullets that is in the works and will be tried. :)

My all time favorite cartridge. Mike you have a shooter there! Stay with 180 grain bullet... no need to go heavy. Push them hard and the 300 will perform.

Desert Fox":zuhcwoag said:
My all time favorite cartridge. Mike you have a shooter there! Stay with 180 grain bullet... no need to go heavy. Push them hard and the 300 will perform.

Desert Fox, this one is a shooter, yes, the 180gr are really stepping up to the plate. 3091fps with 180gr bullet out of a 300Win Mag is not slouchy at all and I can do some serious work on game with that one. I am getting better accuracy when I push them.

Just to keep things in perspective here are 9 groups in unbroken succession of different bullets, powders and primers after the break-in. This shows the consistency of this Savage 116 FHSS 300Win Mag.

Here is the break-in target with the group in the middle being the last five rounds fired in the break-in process
IMG_0091-1.jpg

210gr Berger four shot group
IMG_0100-1.jpg

180gr Ballistic Tip
IMG_0099.jpg

165gr Sierra HPBT three shot group with H4350 at 3057fps
IMG_0095-1.jpg

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3118fps five shot group I pulled the 2nd and 3rd rounds and called them when I did trying to get use to the Accutrigger.
IMG_0101-1.jpg

165gr Sierra HPBT using H1000 at 3123fps five shot group and I pulled the 1st round and called it, still the trigger but I am getting better with it.
IMG_0105.jpg

165gr HPBT - H1000 3114fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer
IMG_0130.jpg

165gr HPBT - (1/10gr more) H1000 3119fps - 5 shot group Win brass 9 1/2M primer
IMG_0131.jpg

165gr HPBT - IMR4350 3218fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primer
IMG_0133.jpg

180gr Ballistic Tip - IMR4350 3091fps - 5 shot group Win brass CCI250 primers
IMG_0134.jpg

Well, it was bugging me about the group using the 165gr HPBT in front of IMR4350 using CCI250 primers. I wanted to see if it was a consistent load and also checking the consistency of my barrel. I cleaned my barrel before I went to shoot this group because it had fired 45 rounds since my last cleaning. I wanted to see if it would shoot with a clean barrel as well as it shot with a fouled barrel. So this morning early before I had to go to work I stopped buy the range and shot this group.

Well my barrel is truly a shooter and my load is good and consistent. Here is a six shot group out of a clean barrel. The flyer is the first shot out of the totally cleaned barrel. I am pleased to say the least. It should even tighten up a little more after firing these six rounds.

165gr Sierra HPBT, IMR4350, Win Brass, CCI primers. With flyer the group is 1.276" and without the flyer the next five measure .662 and the average velocity over the six rounds was 3228fps.
IMG_0135.jpg

I see you get a lot of variation with points of impact - mostly 1.5-2" left with some dead center. Do you adjust your POI in the field once you've chosen the bullet you are going to use to hunt with or before?

Scott Spencer":nqzf0xtw said:
I see you get a lot of variation with points of impact - mostly 1.5-2" left with some dead center. Do you adjust your POI in the field once you've chosen the bullet you are going to use to hunt with or before?

I do some adjustment when testing loads but until I have the one I want I don't sight-in the rifle. I just try and keep it adjusted so all my loads I am trying will be somewhere on paper.

Back