Savage 1920

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been so busy late summer I haven't got to shoot much, finally getting some breaks so it's nice to get some chances to get back to normal and get some shooting in lately.

Broke out my 1920 Savage in 250 Savage for a couple practice shots. I picked up 4 boxes of the old yellow & black boxes of Speer's for real cheap so I figured I'd use them as practice and use my new bullets for hunting.

This 100 yr old rifle does it's best to prop me up shooting iron sights and being handicapped with aging eyes. It's worked quite well with this load combination. I've shot down to 3/4" groups with it at 100, but not today. First 2 shots were in the dot, next 2 were left of the dot.

I'd love to have the chance to put this rifle through it's paces with 18 yr old eyes, but I'm grateful I still get to enjoy it at my age.

A pic of the old girl from today. This is one of a few I'd have to be in desperation mode to ever get rid of.

Something special about old rifles.

I’ve helped a couple locals get their old Savages shooting again.

Good news is you can find 250 still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice looking classic rifle in a old standby caliber. Don't blame you for hanging onto this one. Dan.

Very nice ST. The 250 Savage was a popular round back in the day in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Of course most were in the m99.

JD338

And the man does that w/ a peep sight! I'd be happy w/ that through my Luey! Excellent riflery sir! Such a pretty, sweet rifle. Ya'all need a 250! CL

cloverleaf":3c6q8ss6 said:
And the man does that w/ a peep sight! I'd be happy w/ that through my Luey! Excellent riflery sir! Such a pretty, sweet rifle. Ya'all need a 250! CL

Thanks CL. When certain things start to struggle, you find ways to "cheat" to get it done.

I can no longer see that orange dot with any clarity. It just gives me a reference point on the paper. When the top of the sight covers the dot and the sight doesn't look too high on the paper, I know I should be real close up and down. I try to keep the exposed paper on the left and right side of the sight evened up, and squeeze the trigger. All I can do and keeps me close.

I turned 50 about a week ago. My spirit says I'm 24, my body can still get away with pretending it's in it's 30's, but my eyes protest both those numbers as not being factual. :( :lol:

Great cartridge in a great old rifle.

Nicely done!

Looking forward to seeing photos of that rifle after a successful hunt too!

Guy

That’s a danged beautiful rifle and a shooting son of a gun. I like seeing pictures of it and man, with irons it’s still pretty darned great!

SJB358":3iztm75c said:
That’s a danged beautiful rifle and a shooting son of a gun. I like seeing pictures of it and man, with irons it’s still pretty darned great!

Thanks Scotty. I think you would appreciate the look and feel of this rifle in person. That picture makes it look darn near new, and it is clean, but in reality has a lot more character on the stock than what some pictures can show. By character I don't mean dents and scratches, just the look in the wood of a 100 yr old stock.

Don't shoot it a ton, but I've shot numerous 3 shot groups under an inch with this rifle, but have yet to pull it out of the truck and shoot a 4 or 5 shot under inch group. The rifle most certainly can do it, one of these days I'll live up to its ability and make it happen just to say I did it. :) If I get to 4 shots under an inch I'm gonna chicken out and quit on that group! :lol:

Back