Savage 7-08

A

Anonymous

Well my "not so little anymore" little guy was delighted to find the long, slender box under the tree this morning. In my house that only means one thing.

The Savage 11 Youth model fits him like a glove and after much searching it was the most appropriate thing in a left hand action I could find. The Accu-trigger is pretty nice even though I can't get used to the look of it but the boy seems unfazed.

I did pick up several boxes of Federal Fusion 140s that I hope shoot well. It seems the most common bullet weights are 120s and 140s but 140s are all I could find. I don't have much experience with the Fusion on game but they've shot OK in the past.

For those of you shooting the 7-08….what are some of your favorite factory loads when we start trying out different ones in the rifle?

Very nice on the Savage 11 Youth. Your "Big Guy" is going to have a lot of good memories. I got my wife the Savage 11 Lady Hunter in 7-08.
As far as the Fusion. I've shot a few boxes of various calbers and they have all shot just fine. They are the Speer Bonded "Deep Curl" style bullet. I have killed game with that bullet with no complaints.
I have a few boxes of the Rem core-lokts 140 to break the gun in and they shot pretty well. Needed brass at the time since I couldn't find any. I since found some WW brass and going to load 140gn PT.
I too have seen that the 120 and 140 are the popular wts for the 7-08. I've seen online that the 120BT seems to hold together quite well and something I might try also.

Because it is "his" rifle, your son is going to love the Savage Model 11. The trigger will seem normal to him, and he will wonder why the others aren't as good as "his." The Fusion is a fine bullet that will perform quite well on game. You need not have any concerns about that particular bullet. The 140 grain is about as fine a weight as you can use in the 7mm-08. Sounds like a very thoughtful gift for your son.

The Fusion 140's shot awesome in my Montana 1999 7mm08. The Nosler Ballistic tip is another bullet I plan on trying, as well as the AB

I bet he is pretty happy, nice gift. Some people can't get used to the idea of the Accutrigger but I have found it to be excellent and you don't even think twice about pushing the little lever. Since it is a Savage you won't have to try too many loads before finding one that shoots bug holes.

Good memories of that "long box" myself. I had the 7mm-08 for a while, but since i didnt reload for it I was disappointed with 140's being just about the only option. IF you look you can find some Rem. 120 Gr loadings are out there. Might be nice for your son to start with. Have fun! CL

Fantastic! That Savage 11 in 7mm-08, but a LH version, is on my short list of 3 or so I'm looking at for my son. Great job Dad, he's gonna love it!

Congrats to your boy. What about the Winchester Supreme line of ammo, they might have an AB in there. Federal must load a PT or something as well.

Glad your boy loves it. Sounds like a great package.

PipesMac":3ocoiuvn said:
Fantastic! That Savage 11 in 7mm-08, but a LH version, is on my short list of 3 or so I'm looking at for my son. Great job Dad, he's gonna love it!

Evan's is the LH version… I finally located one at Sportsmans Warehouse. Apparently not the easiest combo to find up here.

I want to say it's the 11 International Trophy Hunter Youth or some such blah, blah, blah. But it has an accutrigger and a Nikon 3-9x40 scope with their BDC reticle.

I don't know what other guns are one the short list for your son but I can really suggest a Mossberg 510 Mini as a great starter pump gun. Trim, light and built just like their 500….interchangeable chokes, removable spacer in the stock. The whole action is scaled down so it's not just a 500 in small stock with a short barrel- he's been very successful with his.

I shot Remington 140 Cor-Lokt and Winchester Supreme 140 Ballistic Silvertips (I think) when breaking in my 7-08.

...I've shot antelope, deer, & elk w/ the Fusion Ammo in .25-06, 7mm RM, & .300 WSM. & it's performed very well. Also tends to be one of the more accurate factory loads in most of my rifles, & it's been one of the most consistently available, so I recommend it a lot...

Does that rifle have an 11 or 9 twist barrel? Savage was running 11 twist for a while but I hear they have switched back to the 9.

SCRUBS":3eskxn9q said:
Does that rifle have an 11 or 9 twist barrel? Savage was running 11 twist for a while but I hear they have switched back to the 9.

It measures out to 1 in 9.5"….should be fine for 120-140gr. and I'd think heavier should I try them.

I'd have to the think the 7-08 runs out of steam with heavy bullets pretty fast though.

Just thought I'd necropost and update this old thread. In Oct2020 I bought this same gun, the Savage 11 trophy Hunter (xp with Nikon 3-9x40 w BDC reticle), in Left Hand Compact model. My 17 yo son got his 2nd deer, and my 12yo daughter got her first deer with it, last week. Shot the Barnes 120gr TTSX commercial loading, did well. Two deer at 100yds each, both broadside thru the lungs, through w big exit and pulped lungs.

Just for update... my son happily hunted with that rifle for several years and shot several caribou with it.

Alas, he eventually grew to the point I got him a Tikka T3 LH in 270 Winchester. That rifle is doing yeoman work.

Back