Savage 99 358 win

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
My recent interest in the classics has led me to getting a savage 99 in 308. Just won an auction for one today.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =373423685

Looks like a nice clean 308. Definitely need to upgrade the recoil pad and maybe refinish the wood. I'd like to put a tang receiver sight on it and have it rebored to 358 win.

Does anyone have any experience with jes reboring? The websight looks good and I have seen a few favorable reports on him.

I think this will make a handy close range medium bore especially when combined with 225gr Partition.

I always thought the Model 99 was a great rifle; I hated to see it discontinued. Looks as if you made a great snag.

From the looks of the wood with the pressed checkering it is a post 1mil. made in the mid 1960's. Still has a lot of case coloring on the lever. Looks very nice.

After hearing some really good things about jes reboring I think I am going to have him do the conversion as soon as it gets here.

I'm thinking about going 1-12 3 groove for the barrel. 1-12 should. Stabilize anything I choose to shoot.

I'm still looking for a good peep for it. I'm looking at some of the tang lyman sights as well as redfield and lyman receiver sights.

Guy Miner":2myn8wqs said:
Very cool rifles!

.308 or .358, I'd be happy with either.

Guy

Need some Eye candy Guy :?:

Attachments

• IMG_20130805_102013 99 butt stock 15.jpg
    IMG_20130805_102013 99 butt stock 15.jpg
    990 KB · Views: 3,693
That's a beauty. Makes our .308 BLR look a little crude...

I sure wish Savage would reintroduce a high quality version of the good old '99.

Guy

Guy Miner":368mwa57 said:
That's a beauty. Makes our .308 BLR look a little crude...

I sure wish Savage would reintroduce a high quality version of the good old '99.

Guy

+1

It would be hard to resist picking one up if it were available again.

Yeah, I've got a couple of "high quality" rifles... Might be room for one or two more in the budget eventually.

I sure do like those Savage 99's.

Guy

I have a lyman 57sb on its way from a guy over on 24 hour campfire. It should work out perfectly for this 358 conversion.

I talked to JES today and he said reboring the 308 to 358 was a piece of cake and he would alter the spool so it if will feed too. I’m going to be boxing it up to send out to him tomorrow.

I found a box of 50 new hornady brass at a local shop and plan on getting a set of dies and some bulk 200gr 35 cal bullets from midway. Should leave me all set for the initial loadings for the 358. I will probably get some 225gr nosler partitions to load up for hunting bears this spring.

not sure what has me going lever crazy lately but the bug has bit, can’t keep from looking at those older lever guns. There are a pair of 300 savage 99s and a 1894 marlin in 44 at my buddies shop. It will be interesting to see if i can resist them until somebody else picks them up. :)

Very nice snag! I just had JES rebore a 338 to a 35 Newton. Did the same as you, 1-12 3 groove. Haven't shot it yet, but I will be pretty quick..

Your 358 Win in Savage 308 is a GREAT idea! I am really looking forward to your results.

y2yta5ap.jpg

ta8usajy.jpg

7y3aju6a.jpg

I got the reciever sight on the rifle. It's a perfect match. I loaded up some 180gr RNSP with IMR 4895. Should run around 2500fps. I figured that I would take it for a spin before I have it rebored to 358. I know it's always a bad idea to shoot the donor but I figured I would risk it.

Check your stock over very closely. I see 2 pins threw the tang area where they crack and brake. If the repair wasn't done right it can brake again. Look at the top around both sides of the tang with a magnifying glass for the hair line cracks. You can also pull the stock and look to see if it has been repaired in side. Some people just glue and pin which isn't the proper way to repair these brakes or cracks.

Not sure what your seeing but there are no pins. I'll check it over but I didn't see any cracks

Back