Savage 99 action strength ?

bear

Beginner
Jun 25, 2009
Will a 99 Savage have enough action strength to handle loads listed in the various load books. I found one load that gives ( 48/R15/2932 vel) speer manual # 13 )in my bolt action ruger. 47 grns gives over 2800 which is plenty for me.
Also generally do 99 savages shoot well ?

bear":fkqzlb02 said:
Will a 99 Savage have enough action strength to handle loads listed in the various load books. I found one load that gives ( 48/R15/2932 vel) speer manual # 13 )in my bolt action ruger. 47 grns gives over 2800 which is plenty for me.
Also generally do 99 savages shoot well ?
..............Every rifle is its own individual. Your starting loads should always begin a few grains below the listed maximums, and then work up 1/2 grain at a time while checking for any pressure signs along the way.

Whether or not your Savage rifle has as strong an action as your Ruger or can accept the charges that your Ruger can, can only be determined by carefully working up your loads in the Savage.

Accuracy can also vary based on what charges, bullets, powders, COALs etc that your Savage prefers.

Until your maximum loading experiments are done, treat your Savage as its own fingerprint so to speak, without necessarily comparing what it may do or may not do in comparison to your Ruger.

What's your savage 99 chambered in?
Dad had one for a short time in .308. It could not handle militry ammo at all, so he traded it.

I would start low, and work up slow....and not treat it like a bolt gun.

can you fit 48gr of re15 in a 300 savage case? I assume you are shooting 150gr. my 99 shoots factory remington 150gr at 2650fps. i have shot 125gr ballistic tips with great success in a scoped 99 but my current 99 is open sites so i shoot 150s or the 170gr Partition

Mine is a .308 and the manual goes up to 49 grains. I got to 48 grns and when I saw the vel I quit. Didn't try to shoot a group with it but coud hit 1 liter bottles at 200 yds with it.

Back