Savage axis11 7-08

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
I've been searching for a left hand rifle for my son in 7mm08. I've found very few in a good price range to leave me enough of a budget for glass and other acc. I've found a Savage Axis11 for right at 400. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle that they would like to share? Pros Cons anything would help. Don't believe I've ever even shot a Savage.

May not help regarding the Savage, but the Ruger American predator comes in a left handed 7-08 and i feel a better rifle than the axis. I'm seeing them new for 499 and come treaded and built in rail which would make up the difference

May not help regarding the Savage, but the Ruger American predator comes in a left handed 7-08 and i feel a better rifle than the axis. I'm seeing them new for 499 and come treaded and built in rail which would make up the difference
Thank you. It's funny this rifle never came up when searching the places I was looking. Once I put in this rifle they are rather abundant and available. Besides the moss green stock the specs are pretty good.

I don't personally have an Axis, we went the the Win XPR 7-08, but I belong to a FB group for Savage shooters, and the axis seems to generate a lot of praise from owners. We live in a time when just about any rifle you find on the racks is capable of shooting right at MOA or even better, certainly more than capable of being a decent hunting rifle. If its what you can find and it fits him well, I wouldn't hesitate.

Had these rifles before. Only con was the trigger. 5 minutes later, and 1.5 trigger spring coils less, the trigger went to 2 lbs. Accuracy was Savage terrific!

S0l3nrb.jpg

I bought a Savage Mod 11 lefthand 260Rem for a grandson to use. The good things about it were price, decent accuracy couple of loads were great and it wasn't something to worry about getting beat up. The things I didn't like was it was cheap looking with the plastic bolt handle and flimsy for end. Grandson killed couple of deer with it. If doing over again I would go with the Ruger American. For the money they're hard to beat for accuracy and dependability. Their weak link is the magazines so buy and keep a spare. Have replaced mine on the 223. Minor problem. Hope this helps. Dan.

Thank you. It's funny this rifle never came up when searching the places I was looking. Once I put in this rifle they are rather abundant and available. Besides the moss green stock the specs are pretty good.
👍
A few companies make replacement stocks, Boyd's, B&C, etc. Not something you have to do right away but the option is there, along with a replacement trigger. Can customize it into a very nice rifle for him.

The Axis II at least comes with the Accutrigger. I would never buy a first-generation Axis, as the two that I've worked on had horrible triggers.

Lightweight and almost flimsy stock. Watch how they do or to not contact the barrel. There are ways to stiffen them, but then they weigh more if you're thinking a youth rifle.

The Ruger American also has issues with the barrel channel, and the stock trigger spring needs to be cut down to just under 0.6 inches to get a good pull. I own one of these in 450 Bushmaster, and my friend owns a few. Generally I prefer them above the Axis but only if you do your own trigger work.

Update: Hey all hope everyone's Chrstmas was reloading room perfect. So I ended up going with the Ruger American Predator in 7mm 08. After shipping and $25 FFL dealer fee from a new gun shop in the area I ended up just over $520. Didn't think was to bad. My son was super excited and has been bugging me to go shooting. It's cold out there he can wait.
Stock upgrade is going to be a must. $12 trigger spring to bring it down to about 2 lbs is an easy cheap upgrade. Mom jumped on board and got him a really nice sling. I have an old Bushnell that should work until he/we can decide on some optics. If ya have any suggestions on a ffp scope that will leave me with atleast one arm and a trigger finger let me know. Hope you all have a great new year.

That is a good price, I should think. I confess that I do like a little heavier trigger pull. In no small measure that is because we almost always are wearing gloves when hunting here in the North. It gives a margin of safety. Congratulations. I have no doubt that your lad is eager to get out with his rifle. (y)

If ya have any suggestions on a ffp scope that will leave me with atleast one arm and a trigger finger let me know. Hope you all have a great new year.
Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 it comes with a couple different reticles and FFP for around $350 to $400 think it would be about perfect for your boy and his ruger 7-08

Good deal. Not that I'm well versed on them, but I don't think that's a bad price today. Overall I've heard they're good shooters for the money. The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge choice. Should serve him very well.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 it comes with a couple different reticles and FFP for around $350 to $400 think it would be about perfect for your boy and his ruger 7-08
This is the scope we have settle on. Me and him sat down yesterday for about 4 hrs ish and searched and read reviews and watched videos. For what he is using the rile for it fits every category just about perfect. I'm glad my son didn't think he needed a $2000 scope on it. If he did he would have been stuck with my old Bushnell for a very long time. Atleast until he got a really good job. Dad likes to help but Dad's scope is only $400 ish. If the vortex is as good as it seems Maybe Dad will have a new scope too.

Back