Savage build

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I've been wanting to build a 300WSM for awhile now, and I think I'm going with a Savage donor. The question is:

Could I use a long action for this to ensure enough mag length, or just stick with a short action and work with the barrel maker (probably Shilen) on length of throat?
I assume it has to be a WSM of some kind to accomodate the bolt face, right?

This will be my first build so I'm kind of running blind.

I'm thinking of a Shilen select match 26" barrel, jewell trigger, Talley rings, Leupold Vari-xIII 6.5-20X50 scope (already have a couple), and I'm still up in the air on the stock(any suggestions?)

With a long action you might have loading jam problems with the short wsm. You will have to do some work on the magazine box to get the fat wsm case to work. You can get a new bolt head that will fit the wsm case to fit your bolt. That is what I like about the Savage. It is a plug and play assembly.

A guy can get the WSM bolt head and your good to go action wise. I do believe that 1shot brings up a very valid point about the feeding though. As far as stocks go, it all dpends on what you like. A guy can get a killer deal on some laminate stocks, or there are some very fine fiberglass stocks out as well.

Also note that the Savage Short Action (the 10/12/14/16 series) is a rather long short action. On the other end of the spectrum is the Remington 700 short action, which has one of the shortest functional maximum COL's for short action rifles. If it were me, I'd get the short action and build it. Once you know magazine length on the rifle, you can have your barrel maker throat it accordingly and you'll be working perfectly, with the ability to work from the magazine instead of just single shot (if your throat is longer than your mag will allow).

OK, short action it is. On the stock, I'm partial to fiberclass for this particular project, B & C, HS, or Mcmillan.

Well, its been awhile since this thread was started but I found what I was looking for. While searching for a Savage donor for my build, I happened to find the gun I was going to build(almost). Its a Savage model 12 that has been re-barrelled in 300WSM with a Choate stock.

The barrel is the only thing I would have done different. Its a Savage take-off, heavy fluted stainless barrel that has been set back and chamber re-cut to match spec.

There was a problem with the Choate stock and was sent back to them for a replacement, and should have it back in a few days.

I'm very excited about this rifle, and shows good promise with factory loads going under 3/4". I'll post pictures of the rifle when I get it put back together.

Back