Savage Rate of Twist for 223

officerdare

Beginner
Sep 28, 2005
Looking over the load data, I see either a 1-7 or 1-12 rates of twist for the .223. I am going to load for a bolt action Savage that has a 1-9 twist. Any recommendations on how the load data would pertain to this twist? Have a variety of .22 Nosler bullets, mostly in the 50g range with some 62g just picked up. Cant hunt big game here in WA with that caliber, but coyotes are fair game.
Thanks

Ignore the twist rates in the manuals until you see bullets coming apart or keyholing on the target.

Load the bullets you want to use in increments of powder charge. The proper load will show itself.

My Savage 10FLP (1 in 9" twist) shoots bullet weights from 50grs. to 63grs. well.

George

A 1-9 rate of twist will stabilize bullets up to 69 grains in a .223! A book I have on long range shooting gave me formulas for bullet diameter compared to rifling twists, and the optimal bullet weight for the 1-9 twist is 69 grains. Now, that's not to say that it won't shoot 55 grain bullets well. The 69ers start out slower, but keep more velocity and energy down range at longer distances.
Also, my experience with Savage rifles has led me to go with heavier for caliber bullets more, because, Savage rifles seem to like them better for some reason.
I've had great groups from .34-.75 with Savage rifles.
Of course this is all my opinion, do what you like with it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Guy, Bryce and George,
Thanks for the info. It helps. Any recommendations on commercial vs military brass. I have some Winchester 223, but also picked up a bunch of fully processed Lake City brass. In process of building an AR, with the upper that I bought which shows a chamber of 5.56, and bought a Ruger mini 14 to play with. Savage, at this point will be the long range varmint since large game here has to be a min. of .24 cal. Don't recall without leaving the forum, does Nosler have a 69g hunting/varmint round or just competition stuff?
Kit

officerdare":3hfukkb1 said:
Guy, Bryce and George,
Thanks for the info. It helps. Any recommendations on commercial vs military brass. I have some Winchester 223, but also picked up a bunch of fully processed Lake City brass. In process of building an AR, with the upper that I bought which shows a chamber of 5.56, and bought a Ruger mini 14 to play with. Savage, at this point will be the long range varmint since large game here has to be a min. of .24 cal. Don't recall without leaving the forum, does Nosler have a 69g hunting/varmint round or just competition stuff?
Kit

Military brass is great brass to reload. Now, be careful with charge weights and pressures, because the military brass has thicker case walls and less powder room. On average you should reduce load data by 15% in military cases and work up.
Winchester cases are some of the best commercial cases to reload. They have thicker case heads than anyone else, and seem to last just a tad longer than others.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I wouldn't hesitate to use the 69 gr Nosler HPBT to shoot coyotes. It'll give that extra degree of accuracy, and will be devastating on a yodel dogs at the same time.
Hornady makes a 68 grain soft tip BT, if that's what you prefer.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Oh yeah! Before I forget. Be careful with shooting military 5.56 ammo in civilian .223 rifles. Your Savage is a strong rifle, but why tempt fate?
Your AR marked 5.56 and Mini 14 won't have any problems with 5.56 ammo.
The reason behind not shooting 5.56 ammo in civilian .223 is because civilian rifles have shorter throats, and 5.56 ammo increases pressure tremendously. Military rifles have a much longer throat to deal with increased pressure.
The Mini 14, many moons ago was in competition with the AR for being the U.S. battle rifle, and Ruger never changed anything from it's inception, except to make it more accurate.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I shoot 55gr nbt's out of my savage 110 223 and get one hole groups with 28.5 gr of blc2 and it shoots just about everything under an inch.

Jon

fwood":zw128itv said:
I shoot 55gr nbt's out of my savage 110 223 and get one hole groups with 28.5 gr of blc2 and it shoots just about everything under an inch.

Jon

What type of brass and primers are you using for that load and the COAL?

Well I am on the road in Japan right now so I cant go into the garage right now and look but I think they are Remington 7 1/2 primers and the brass is mixed from black hills reloads and Remington. I don't know the COL off the top of my head but the gun is not particular is shoots factory reloaded stuff from hsm at 3/4 in all day.

Jon

I shoot 40-60 grainers in my savage. all sub inch. If load testing allows good accuracy & top velocities w/ all weights, give the heavier bullet the nod for yotes.

Back