SAVAGE-?

Travhunter65

Beginner
Jan 29, 2011
Hey guys, just looking for some advice on savage rifles. I have been thinking about a stainless 30-06 left hand, but I am a little leery about factory rifles due to problems with rem700
a couple of years back. Because my custom rifles are built on 700 actions, I have the tools to work on them including complete bolt disassemble in case something happens in the middle of a hunting trip. My main question is about disassembling a savage bolt if you have to. I have never owned a savage but keep being told that you have to send the bolt back to the factory if it needs work (spring, firing pin). With there out of the box accuracy, accustock, and accutrigger, savage rifles make you stop and look!
Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

Disassembly is as follows:

1. Remove the bolt assembly screw.
2. Remove the bolt handle and rear baffle.
3. Slide the cocking piece sleeve back.
4. Remove the cocking piece pin.
5 Remove the firing pin assembly.
6 Remove the bolt retaining pin.
7. Remove the bolthead,front baffle and spring washer.

Reassemble in the reverse order.

Tools you need are a 1/4 allen wrench

My 30/06 has the shifter on the correct side, I'm a righty. :)

It's a 116 that shoots very good. The older models you will need a flat screw driver and the newer versions require 1/4" allen wrench. All mine are real shooters.

Ditto
Savage had a reputation for ugly for a long time but I've been shooting them extensively since 1987 and they have been shooting just as accurate and lately more accurate than Remington. They are well built and if you want to feel enlightened give Savage a call and let them explain how they adjust headspace and ensure that both lugs have contact for a straight chambering of the cartridge. They just shoot way better than they cost. Accubedding system and Accutrigger that the other companies are still scrambling to duplicate. You can get all this in a Remington but it's custom shop or after market. I've owned about a dozen and never had a bad one. They just keep getting better. Even the "unbiased" :roll: shooting writers have stopped ignoring Savage.
And they make a lot of left hand versions.
Greg

Thanks guys, did you see the cool looking rifles that savage unvieled at the 2011 shot show? Awesome looking guns. From reading this forum for a couple of years now, I thought there was some experienced savage owners around here. Thank you very much for the input. Will keep you posted when I get one!!!

I was out at the range today with my son and his new Savage Model: 111 Long Range Hunter in 300 Win Mag. It has all those published accuracy bells and whistles. To top it off he has a professionally mounted NightForce 5.5-22x50mm.

We are in for a big fight with Savage. This particular rifle sucks and after a first time phone call with Savage, it looks like we are going to have to take it up higher if at all possible.

Ammunition - Federal Blue Box; Nosler Custom (AccuBond) and Federal Premium (Barnes TTSX) All at 180 Grain.

I tried to keep him encouraged, making up some excuses as we went but groups for all three ammunitions were not only so freaking inconsistent you had to wonder if you were dreaming, but the groups were often 5-8 inches at 200 yards. Not one single grouping was decent. Not one. We rotated the ammo, allowed barrel to cool after 4-6 rounds, made sure scope was secure, validated we broke barrel in correctly 2 weeks ago on its first outing (and thought those first 10 rounds were just off because it was new)

So on the way home, he contacts Savage. Explains both range times with Savage. First thing they stated was they only guarantee 1.5 group at 100. Wrong answer!!! If this rifle at almost $1000.00 with all those fancy accuracy tricks can only do that, then what is this difference between this rifle and my $399.00 Weatherby Vanguard. Savage then states they tested using 180 gr bullets. Yup, that is all we are using. After all was said and done, Savage states there is nothing they are obligated to do.

So we get on the internet and find a gunsmith that works on nothing but Savage rifles for the last 30 years. son explains everything to him and he responds with, yup, I have been seeing an awful lot of these new "accuracy" rifles poorly made and Savage won't stand behind their product and help the customer. He takes the rifles and correct the issues and guarantees 1/2 groups at 100 yards with premium over the counter ammo.

Son has another $399.00 Savage and the rifle is so incredibly accurate and it doesn't have all those accuracy tricks.

Right now he has to try to figure out what he is going to do with his Long distance rifle that a slingshot can out shoot. As for first impressions with Savage on a scale of 1-10 --> negative 100. What a way to respond to a customer and to top it off they know they have quality problems. If you got one of these accuracy rifles and it is shooting great, than that is super, but what would you do if you just got one like my son just got?

We will find out this Monday what is going to happen. Even Weatherby has a Vanguard model that is guaranteed to shoot less than 1" groups out of the box, and Savage has the disrespect to state 1.5" after bragging about l their proprietary accuracy tricks?

Very Sad and Mad
338 WinMag

Back