Scope choice?

MX Racer

Beginner
Jan 17, 2007
I've been getting back into hunting and collecting rifles. I have a number of rifles that I'm going to be buying scopes for and mostly if not all will be Leupolds. I'm leaning towards both the VX-III and the VX-L's scopes in the 4.5x14x40 instead of the 3.5x10x40. Seems like loosing the single power of magnification of 3.5 to 4.5 is worth gaining the additional power at the other end 10 vs 14.
I know there has been discussions on this board on what is to extreme as far as long shots at prey and that the 3/4/8 power scopes are plenty. My question is even if I don't plan on using the scope/rifle for more extreme ranges why not still have the ability if needed? Am I really losing that much w/ close range shots in having the 4.5 pwr vs: the 3.5?

I like those 4.5-14's. Have two of 'em, one for about 10 years now. Good scope, very useful magnification range, particularly on a multi-purpose rifle that will be used for both deer hunting as well as varmints and predators from time to time. Mostly I hunt with it dialed down to 4.5x, but have take it up to 14x when needed time to time for shots at small varmints.

Regards, Guy

Well, a couple of years ago when Leupold announced the VX-III line I bought two 3.5 X 10 scopes with the Boone and Crockett reticle. I put them on a 7mm and 300 Wby mag.
I thought I was all set, the scopes were bright, clear, etc. and the B&C reticle really works.

However, after spending a lot of time in the field with my dad who has several 4.5 X 14 LR Leupolds and comparing the scopes, I knew I needed to upgrade. I have replaced the 3.5 X 10's with 4.5 X 14 X 40 LR scopes with the same reticle and could not be happier.

The only disadvantage I can find in using the scopes and studing the literature is that you do give up some field of view at the lower powers with the 4.5 X 14's. It does not seem to be an issue, though, I have shot a bunch of animals on a dead run with the scope set on 4.5 and have had NO problems.

I like having the 14 power when at the range and in the field if I need it. And I have come to really like the 30mm scopes and the side focus. I said I did not want a 30mm scope for a long time, I now have five of them.

As much as I like the 4.5 X 14 LR scopes for big game, the standard one inch 4.5 X 14 Leupold is a hell of a scope as well. I have several on varmint rifles. Just be sure to get the model with the AO feature, a 14 power scope without it is useless in my opinion.

The 4.5x14 is a great scope. 4.5 power will serve you well for close range hunting. I have a Mark 4 4.5x14 40mm (30mm tube) and it works fine for WT deer hunting in the thick stuff.

JD338

I assume the Long Range/Side parallax adjustment feature does the same as an Adjustable Objective and is just a matter of preference?

The side focus is much more user friendly. :wink:

JD338

The diffrence is not worth worring about. I'v found 4.5 is good for the thick stuff and you can still have 14 power longer ranges.

1 more vote for the 4.5-14.I own 2 of them and 1 3.5-10.Nothing wrong with the 3.5-10 it just seems the 4.5-14 is a better power range.

You can't go wrong with either magnification although, it's good to have that extra X for benchwork or long range shot.

Back