scope dilemma question

TDMVA

Beginner
Apr 18, 2016
I have a 280AI nosler that I just picked up and currently a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 sits on it. That has a fine duplex reticle so it doesn't allow me any benefit of MOA in the reticle. It's zero'd at 300 and as a pure hunting rifle I think it should be fine. To really reach out there though i'd like to have some moa reticle. I had this scope laying around so I used it rather then spend the $ right now. this gun is for east coast deer to western elk

I have a 300wm nosler that has a zeiss conquest DL (posted about in other threads but those issues are resolved now) with a 60 reticle (pretty much a standard duplex with not MOA's built in). Same issue with the reticle as the 280ai. this gun is for western elk (occasionally east coast deer or bear).

I just won a ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor at our local DU dinner. I have no optic for that.....this will be for fun and deer for me and the boys.

I have other vortex's currently and really like the Viper PST's. I have them on an LMT MWS (4-16x50 ffp), Larue Predetar (2-10x32 ffp), a CZ550 308 (4-16x50 sfp).

I am a fan of the ffp scopes because of the easy math with the moa's don't change as you go through the magnifications. at closer ranges it's not relevant of course. So one could argue that you only need to do the math or know your dope on the higher magnifications making sfp just as easy. for hunting rifles I don't think it's all that important for me because i'd rarely shoot over 500 yards on game.

All that said, the local gun shop is about to have a thanksgiving sale and they have 1 2-10x32 viper pst ffp left and it'll be on sale for $550. That's a pretty hard deal to pass up. Would I be nuts to put that small of an objective on the 280ai, 300wm or the 6.5? I don't think so b/c it is working fine on my larue already.

agreed. but is it underpowered for any of the three guns potentially? I don't think so but there are many on here far more experienced than me.

the attraction is that it's a known scope for a great deal. no learning curve.

with my 32mm objective on the larue I can hit the 4" orange mark on a 12x18 steel at 400 yards in the middle of the day. would think it will be fine on any of the three other rifles.

With the modern lens coatings the brightness of the scope isn't a problem.
I have a 3.5-10X40mm on my 338Win and find it very efficient at 400yds for hitting 12X12 steel target when sighted in 3" high at 100yds. I realize this is the same scope but is all I have for comparison. The only draw back might be field of view.

I have found 10X can be too much for forest shooting but plenty for open range unless you plan on shooting 1000yds. I had a cow Elk at a ranged 792yds and had the conditions been right I might have taken the shot but they were not and she never showed enough body which was partially hidden to attempt the shot which was farther then I was zeroed for so I passed and she disappeared into a draw.

I like a larger objective but not one so large as to have high scope mounts. All of mine are no bigger than 44 mm. For me that objective size is optimal, as is the standard duplex cross hairs. I have turret's on my hunting scopes and do not memorize the drop charts. I have a range card for each of the longer range rifles and carry that in the same pouch as my range finder. I think your biggest issue is the field of view, and if that does not bother you then it should be fine.

Elkman":mffvz2nl said:
All of mine are no bigger than 44 mm. For me that objective size is optimal, as is the standard duplex cross hairs.

I think Vortex would agree with you b/c their new pst gen 2's they moved from the 4-16x50 to the 4-15x44. it does seem to be the nice compromise size objective.

that said, if I can get the 32, which I already have and think is adequate but not perfect, for 1/2 price then why not......but that's just my dilemma. want to make sure i'm not settling which I don't think is the case.

I agree with Elkman and the 40mm is the smallest objective scope over 5x that I own 42-44mm for all the others and to be honest I'm partial to the 42mm 2-12 range which is offered in most of the scopes that are way too expensive for me.

Sounds like a screaming deal, and unless you really want more magnification why not buy it? I just went out yesterday to fireform some RWS 280 Rem brass to 280 AI out to 700 yards...... That scope is a USO 1.8-10x37 and if you think I missed the 7" bulls eye you'd almost be right.... I hit the edge of it at 11 O'clock on the first shot! lol

Oh, missed to say mine does have Mil/Mil turrets...... I dialed 5.3 Mils. That said I prefer to dial, or use a mil reticle, and not be stuck to a random BDC reticle.

I made a mistake I edited: the orange center was 7".

Back