Scope for a 375 or 416

meatmachineman

Handloader
Jan 25, 2012
Not that I "need" one (the way I've "needed" any other rifle :lol: ), but I've been getting a wild hair for a 375 or possibly a 416 (leaning towards the RCMs... but that's a whole other discussion and subject to change). I've realized that I haven't even thought about optics yet. I'm still a ways away from actually getting the rifle, but I guess it's never too early to give some thought to scopes. If it's a 375, I'll be looking for something in the typical power range... low end 2x or 3x and 9 or 10 on the high end. The 416 will be a lower power affair. But I need to get an idea of what level of scope I need. I'm a huge fan of Minox and would likely do a ZA5 2-10 for the 375, but am unsure if it'll hold up. The 416... no clue. Thoughts?

Robert, I would recommend the Conquest series of Zeiss scopes. I have owned a few of them and had them mounted on hard kickers like the Weatherby .340 Magnum and the Ruger Number one 9.3x74R. I have a 2.5-8x32 Conquest (no longer made) that I have used with these rifles and Fotis is using a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x40 on his .378 Weatherby. Any scope that can withstand the .378 is a tough scope.

I do not know if the the ZA-3 or ZA-5 Minox would withstand .375 H&H recoil or if it would not. The Minox scopes to me do not look as robust as the Conquest scopes. Just my take.

FOTIS":1u0h86gv said:
2.5-8x32 Conquest

You have one Fotis? Everytime I've seen one it was gone faster than I could click!

Robert, I really like the 1.5x5 VX3 for that sort of rifle. For their pricepoint, Leupold still rules the roost in the low powered variable. Or heck, even the Leupold 2.5x. I wished there were more options like the Minox 1.5x8's. that might be another good pick if it holds up, which I'm kinda thinking it would. Hard telling till you try it though.

On my 375 Ruger I have and older Leupold Vari X II 2-7x33 that has been rock solid on it so far. The 375 Ruger is a great round I'm sure you would like it, a few of us own them here and can help you out with load data if you buy one. Can't help you much on the other scopes but heres how mine looks.

GoatHunting2009182.jpg

I have a 3x9 Leupold with a elevation knob on my .416 Rem., a 4x12 Leupold on my .375-.358STA, and a 4.5x14 on my .375RUM.

I also have a VX-3 1.5-5x20 as Fotis recommended. Mine is on a .338 Federal for Roosevelt elk hunting but I do not have experience with it and heavy kickers as I just bought it. So far the 2.5-8x32 is my go to scope for kickers. The Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 is on my 9.3x74R Number One Ruger.

gerry":3vto0du4 said:
On my 375 Ruger I have and older Leupold Vari X II 2-7x33 that has been rock solid on it so far. The 375 Ruger is a great round I'm sure you would like it, a few of us own them here and can help you out with load data if you buy one. Can't help you much on the other scopes but heres how mine looks.

GoatHunting2009182.jpg
Gerry, looks like you have the 20" barrel there. How do you like it? Any regrets not going longer? I held the Alaskan and liked the general feel (and the soft squishy pad) but I tend to gravitate towards wood/blue and the African fits that bill nicely plus has a 23" if memory serves.

Charlie, I have a #4 Minox 3-9 on my 338WM that has offered no issues thus far, and I love Minox pricing over the Conquest, but I do have concede that my Conquest seems to "feel" more substantial, but I don't know if it is actually the fact or just something in my head.

Overall it sounds like I'm not too far off the mark with the 375. If I do wind up going with a 416, how will this change? Supposedly the RCM is intended to compete with the performance of the Rigby and RemMag which I'd suspect comes with comparable recoil energy and speed. I just wish Leupold (ughhh :roll: ) didn't have so many viable options. What (if any) good options are there in the low power variable market that can keep me in the $400-500 range and hold up to a 416?

I would opt for the 3-9x40 Conquest and look for a clearance or open box at $349! The 1.5-5x20 Leupold is $399 with heavy reticle for brush hunting. Midway has free shipping now and a $20 off discount.

Zeiss say that the Conquest scopes are bullet proof for recoil. They say that the 2.5-8x32 and the 1.3-5x32 are the best scopes for recoil that they have made. Both are discontinued because everybody wants a 4-16x44 scope for white tail hunting. Most of my scopes are 3-9's, plus I have some smaller and a couple of bigger ones. I shoot almost all game between 4 and 9 power.

SJB358":331z9e3j said:
FOTIS":331z9e3j said:
2.5-8x32 Conquest

You have one Fotis? Everytime I've seen one it was gone faster than I could click!

Robert, I really like the 1.5x5 VX3 for that sort of rifle. For their pricepoint, Leupold still rules the roost in the low powered variable. Or heck, even the Leupold 2.5x. I wished there were more options like the Minox 1.5x8's. that might be another good pick if it holds up, which I'm kinda thinking it would. Hard telling till you try it though.

I have 2 Zeiss' Scotty. They are awesome. I stopped buying rifles so I can move up on glass quality.

Ask Jim how awesome they are

I do have 2 zeiss on hand actually.
A 4.5x14x44 mildot target turrets 1" tube

$(KGrHqUOKisE0s2IJLGyBNdPQv2IBQ~~_35.JPG

And a 30mm diavari Z T* 1.5x6x42mm

attachment.php

I saw those Diavari Zeiss 1-6x40 scopes on Samplelist for half price and nearly pulled the trigger on one. They are really srong, stout and a good buy that will never wear out. I hope that the people who bought these, know what they are getting

Meatmachineman, I have no regrets with going with the shorter barrel, what's not to like with a short compact powerhouse? I haven't chronographed my 300 gr load yet but the 260 gr AccuBond gets 2750 fps with 80 gr Big Game could have gone a bit higher but that was were the accuracy was, which was very good. Two friends of mine have the right handed Alaskan's, both guns use a mid level charge of RL 15 for a bit over 2700 fps, one with the 260 gr AccuBond and one with the 260 gr Partition both guns are very accurate and the felt recoil is noticeably less than with my SS/Laminate. It is fashionable in some circles to look down on the Hogue stocks but both guys absolutely love theirs. Something you should know about the wood stocks on the Ruger guns is that they are suseptible to cracking at the tang. I wish I would have bedded mine since it over time it shifted with recoil and is showing a very small crack where the tang of the action pushed against the wood, at some time it will be repaced with a McMillan Swirly stock. In the mean time I will just relieve the stock there and see if the crack is just cosmetic. With the longer barrel of the African (it is 23") it of course will get more velocity so it all depends on what you want to do with it, I am more than happy with where I'm at for speed. Ruger hit a home run with these guns, they are accurate and dependable. I do hope they figure out the stock cracking issue on the wood stocks.

I have two Zeiss scopes also Robert, I have a 5-15x44 Diavari V/VM that I bought in the late 1990's, as well as the Conquest 2.5-8x32. It is still going strong after over 10 years on my 7mm Mag and has never blinked. Now that Diavari is on my .257 Roberts in order to give me varmit capability as well as deer.

I think that the RCM's are a good idea and serve a real need for those who want or need a compact big game rifle. You get nearly the same power in a standard length action and of course the benefit of those heavy bullets when you need them. If I was goin to buy a hard hunting .375/.416 I would definitely consider the RCM rifles for that purpose as a utility rifle. Probably with the rubber coated stock hoping that it will stop the tendency of the tang cracking.

Most of the rifles that I have now were bought or custom made for quality, not necessarily for utility, although they certainly have it because of the calibers and actions that I chose.

Thanks for the input Gerry. In a 416, I think the 20" would be phenomenal, but in a 375, I could honestly go either way. The 375 can be loaded down to make a great mild recoiling critter getter and in that African set up, it would be right up my alley. I have two other M77s... a MkII boatpaddle 338WM and an older m77 in 300WM in walnut, but has a brake... no tang cracks as of yet. I wasn't aware of Ruger's reputation on that front (I guess as a Ruger fan, I tend to keep my head buried in the sand LOL). I did handle the Hogue stocked Alaskan 375 and I did like it... a lot!

Charlie, not counting the last month or two, the last time I paid much attention to the 375+ caliber range, the RCMs were getting knocked a bit. I presume by internet geniuses and Google ninjas. But the gist of it seemed to revolve around feeding and extraction issues. I've noticed a lot of people lately whose opinions I put a lot of weight in, including yours, seem to be extolling the virtues of the round. It's made me feel a lot less strange in taking an interest in them. I used to abhor utilitarian rifles... stainless? YUCK!.... Synthetic? EWWWW! Anymore, though, I'm really enjoying the firearms I have that are less than pretty. My boatpaddle Ruger is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I especially became fond of my synthetic Beretta 391 for duck use. It's a lot easier on my mind having it get knocked around in a blind rather than my walnut M2.

I think it is mostly the 375's that have the cracking problem, one reason and African in 416 Ruger hasn't showed up yet. I have had no feeding or extraction issues with mine. I'm a Ruger fan too :)

Robert: I feel the same way. That is why I had a utility Winchester shotgun and the composite .280 Rem Browning A-Bolt. This way I did not have to take my Gold Perdiz Beretta or my custom stocked .270 Winchester hunting. Because my various illlnesses have gotten more serious lately and my hunting days are numbered, I gave away or sold the utilitarian guns and kept the custom stuff to enjoy at home and at the range.

It is still tickling my funny bone that some guy came over recently at the range to give a critical eye and inspect my junk. This one came over and looked at my .270 and 7mm mag with their respective Zeiss Diavari and Swarovski scopes. He said nothing and walked away. However, he came back after a few minutes and asked me if I knew what I was shooting? I said sure; a Mauser and a Winchester. He felt thereupon that he needed to educate me on what I was shooting assuming I guess, that I had found these rifles on the side of the road, or something, instead of having them made for me. I got kind of a kick out it because people have been underestimating me all of my life.

Charlie... it's similar to walking into your local big box store's gun counter, whether it be Wallyworld, Sportsman's, Cabela's, Gander, etc. There's usually someone working that is going to try and "eduacate" you. I guess your scenario is a bit worse, though. You already own the guns! And they're custom made, to boot!

gerry":32wkt8za said:
I think it is mostly the 375's that have the cracking problem, one reason and African in 416 Ruger hasn't showed up yet. I have had no feeding or extraction issues with mine. I'm a Ruger fan too :)
I haven't been able to get on Ruger's site for the last couple days, but I've been itching to get some more info on the African. It appears to have a crossbolt, but there are some internet whispers that it is merely cosmetic. Others have said there is one but is in dire need of a second. All internet info and all to be believed! :wink:

I guess mine only has one crossbolt so maybe they do need two of them. The only bullet I have heard of that causes feeding problems in some 375 and 416 Ruger's are the Hornady DGS with their big flat nose, you would think Hornady would design that bullet a lot better than that. It's not just the Ruger guns that have had that problem, other 375 and 416 rounds have reportedly not fed the DGS very well.

FOTIS":3o7lwjl1 said:
SJB358":3o7lwjl1 said:
FOTIS":3o7lwjl1 said:
2.5-8x32 Conquest

I have 2 Zeiss' Scotty. They are awesome. I stopped buying rifles so I can move up on glass quality.

Ask Jim how awesome they are

I do have 2 zeiss on hand actually.
A 4.5x14x44 mildot target turrets 1" tube

$(KGrHqUOKisE0s2IJLGyBNdPQv2IBQ~~_35.JPG

And a 30mm diavari Z T* 1.5x6x42mm

attachment.php

Fotis, I saw the same scope Charlie was talking about and you have, I thought it would be just about perfect on my 338.. I will keep my eye out for more.

I really liked the 4.5x14 Brian had on his 300RUM, till it fogged up 1 day into our hunt. I am not blaming Zeiss, but one of those things that could have ruined a hunt had we not had a backup.

I do like that 1.5x6 alot. Perfect size and shape for a heavy hunter.

I am trying to do the same as you Fotis. I am done really buying more rifles till I can put some of the scopes I really want on my current rifles. I have solid rifles, with better glass they would be awesome..

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-15-6x42 ... 59360.aspx

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-15-6x42 ... 54168.aspx

The more I look at the one with the #4 for a 1000, the more I wished I had a 1000!!! :shock:

Back