Scope for Nosler .35 Whelen

You can't go wrong with the Leupold 2.5-8x. I have one on a SC M70 in 7x57 and it just looks natural. My Rem Whelen sports a Weaver 4X with Weaver rings and mounts...that's the only thing I'm going to change out with Leupold 2-piece DD mounts and rings.

I want to take that rear sight off but don't know how simple/difficult it will be.

I'm glad it's not dovetailed. That can be a headache. I think I'll take the entire sight/ramp off as it interferes with the scope. I can see just a little of it at the bottom of the scope.

So I picked up a Leupold 2.5x8 for my Outfitter. I'm thinking of going with quick detachable rings since it has the iron sights. What rings and bases would you guys recommend? I have to get on it Elk saeson for me starts October 1!

Excellent choice. Got one on my M70 7x57. I'm not into detachable mounts so, someone else will need to help in that area.

STS45":l0txgplf said:
So I picked up a Leupold 2.5x8 for my Outfitter. I'm thinking of going with quick detachable rings since it has the iron sights. What rings and bases would you guys recommend? I have to get on it Elk saeson for me starts October 1!

Talleys would be my first choice.

Scott

Good choice on the Leupold 2.5-8. The only challenge with this scope on a long action is getting the rings close enough together for the tube of the scope. Extended Talleys work great.

I have the same scope on both my Whelens

Eric

I really like the Talley QD rings and bases. My second choice is the Leupold QRW's. Both of those set ups seem to be split pretty evenly across my rifles.

Sounds like it is going to be an excellent rifle. the Outfitter looks like it is meant to hunt and hunt hard. I dig that.

orchemo":3khdf42h said:
Good choice on the Leupold 2.5-8. The only challenge with this scope on a long action is getting the rings close enough together for the tube of the scope. Extended Talleys work great.

I have the same scope on both my Whelens

Eric

I never even thought of that. Just ordered the Extended Talleys.

Eric thank you for that piece of information regarding the Talleys as I placed my Davari on my Whelen last night using tally lows and my bolt is touching the scope when I draw it back. Do you think I should be looking at the Extended Talleys as well?

Blessings,
Dan

muleman":131ov0dj said:
STS45":131ov0dj said:

Talleys would be my first choice.

Scott
Mine too.
I'd give Talley a call and see what they would recommend.

Vince

Called Talley. They said get a longer scope. Recommend a 3x9 VXII. Think I'll still go with the extended.

STS45":2cjoxhfw said:
Called Talley. They said get a longer scope. Recommend a 3x9 VXII. Think I'll still go with the extended.
I thought they'd be more helpful than that.
Sorry.

Got the 2.5x8 mounted up in some Talley Extended Mounts. So far I love it.

Really nice pick up X2 !! The old Gold ring really does a rifle rite! It looks all business with the dark stock and blued barrel! That should make a few critters around your parts really nervous !

Excellent choice on the scope, good you were able to make it work properly. That Outfitter is a very attractive package and the Whelen won't disappoint.

ELK DOWN. After staking so elk way up the damn mountain I got a quick shot in the trees about 100 yards away up hill. Rifle and scope worked great. Felt very natural. Elk dropped like it was hit with lightning. Broke both shoulders. Two inch exit wound with a river of blood. Nosler factory 225 grain Accubonds. Love this rifld

STS45":1gjgfudt said:
ELK DOWN. After staking so elk way up the damn mountain I got a quick shot in the trees about 100 yards away up hill. Rifle and scope worked great. Felt very natural. Elk dropped like it was hit with lightning. Broke both shoulders. Two inch exit wound with a river of blood. Nosler factory 225 grain Accubonds. Love this rifld

Now that's the sorta stuff I like to hear! Way to go. Can't wait to see the pictures. Congrats.

Sounds like the Whelen strikes again!

Congratulations! The Whelen performs as we would expect. Trust we will be able to see some pictures shortly.

Back