Scope Help

Co243Win

Beginner
Sep 28, 2009
Ok I am going to get a X-bolt 280 Rem and i am looking at this scopes.

VX-II 6-18x40mm Adj. Obj.

VX-3 CDS 4.5-14

Is anyone using either one of them? I have never used a scope with a adjustable objective. What are the good and the bad? On the other hand i have never used a scope with turrets either. I will be hunting deer an elk with this gun. Any help? Thanks Nic

I would go with the VX-3 CDS 4.5-14 because the VX-3 is much brighter and the lower end is better suited for the potential close shot. IMHO, turrets is the way to go but you will need a way to accurately judge range. A good laser range finder would be extremely helpful.

JD338

JD338":3r3tzpzr said:
I would go with the VX-3 CDS 4.5-14 because the VX-3 is much brighter and the lower end is better suited for the potential close shot. IMHO, turrets is the way to go but you will need a way to accurately judge range. A good laser range finder would be extremely helpful.

JD338

I would go with what JD338 said and get the 4.5-14x40. My son has one with the B&C Reticle on it and it is one great scope. Me on the other hand personally for my own rifle would get a 6 x 42mm fixed power scope and so I could shoot the long distances with confidence I would have the Leupold Custom shop use the BC of the bullet I am going to use and the velocity I would get with it to set up the 6x scope with the dots under the duplex that would be calibrated for distances up to 500 yards.

I have yet to use a Leupy without the adjustable objective. I actually picked one up in the store a while back to look through it and could tell a difference right off.
I do have a VX-II 6x18 with the LRV reticle in it. I've had it on my .223 and currently moved to my .257 Bee.
I like it and have plans of owning one or two more of them.

I don't know how you hunt, but honestly, for how I hunt (elk, mostly), I wouldn't go higher than a 3.5-10 on a .280. My old neighbor had a Vari-X II 6-18 on his Ruger #1 .22-250, and I would not want to hunt big game with it, probably not even coyotes. I like the bigger FOV that you get around 3 power. I'd feel a little uncomfortable with 6x at the low end.

Now, just to prove I'm a total hypocrite, when I buy a .243 I'm putting a fixed 6x on it.

BK":3kbo0qv5 said:
Now, just to prove I'm a total hypocrite, when I buy a .243 I'm putting a fixed 6x on it.
BK as you see what I said above,I'm there with you on the straight 6x. I love that scope, and I really do like fixed power scopes. My old-now sons- Remington 600 stil has the old Weaver K4 from 1972 on it. My wife's 25-06 has a 6x36mm Leupold on it. MY Ruger #1B has a Leupold 4x on it, and my Ruger #1B has a fixed 6x42 Leupold on it! My son's is the only variable in the bunch!

Back