Scope Mounting Rem-700

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
Ok - Before I go off the deep end, I'll run it through here first. ( Might end up back in the Remington Customer Service Section ) ??

I obviously didn't notice this the first time I mounted the scope on my Rem-700 SPS in .257 Bee. I've mentioned is previous posts that I'm not all that impressed with the finish work / detail on this rifle.

Now - I have it back from the Smith that performed a phenominal trigger job on it - polished, re-spring etc.
I started putting the dual dove-tail Leupy rings and basses on it this afternoon with the Wheeler alignment tool. Rings had been lapped on the previous install - alignment was extremely close, but I thought maybe flipping the front base around. I loosened the rear hardware and the base moves free with the front hardware secure.
I figured good job, had too long of screw in the front slot etc. When I removed the screw, I've noted the front hole is not tapped all the way through the receiver.............base mounting screw is bottoming out before securing the base to the receiver.
I've pulled three other Rem 700's out of my safe for comparison, and all three are tapped all the way through to the point of seeing a thread or two from the barrel. Now What ?????

I've spent the last 15yrs in the Auto industry and plenty capable of coming up with ideas / modifications to " make it work ".........
My questions is - if I use a washer under the screw or file the screw down would one trust this to work ? Or - send it back to the Smith for a proper repair ? Thoughts, comments, sugestions ?
Thanks!

Follow up - It's appearing the action was dapped all the way through, but the barrel is set back / larger dia than anthing else I have ...???

Powerstroke, Years ago I forgot who's gunsmithing base/rings screw kit but they included a deal to shorten the base screws was a thin nut just screw into then grind off back screw out. Your gunsmith might have something like that.

Rem alittle bad about triggers that have been worked on parts changed etc. I keep a spare one around here just for that reason.

Powerstroke, the bases come with two different length screws, the long screws go in the rear base and the shorter two go in the front holes. If you are going to tap the front holes deeper, you should remove the barrel first.Rick.

That was pretty much where I was going with this - The other three rifles that I looked at quickly, I can either see straight through into the reciever, or see the barrel threads. This one I'm not 100% sure what the heck is going on. Haven't had anymore time to look at it, but I'll get some measurements -
I know about the screw length - first thing I looke at - figured I was the issue.

Thanks

Issue could potentially be resolved - I called Leupold today to see if they had any ideas - Sure enough they do make a slightly shorter screw.

Stated I'd see it within two weeks no charge. Actually tried to explain to him it wasn't a Leupy issue so I'd be happy to purchase the screws. Nope.

Thanks Leupold !

That's great news about Leupold, Powerstroke. Too bad about the Remington. That is just one more notch in their belt. I guess you are getting it resolved easily enough, but it doesn't seem like something that should need to be fixed. Scotty

Back