Scope power ?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I will be picking up my Tikka 7mm soon and plan on putting a 4-12 Redfield on it. I have one on my 243 now so the question is, steal that one and replace it with a 3-9 or just order a new 4-12 and have both of them wearing the same model?

Does the 243 need a 4-12 or would a 3-9 work?

It would depend on your intended shooting desires with the 243 (target vs hunting vs varminting) and your local shooting conditions (short vs medium vs long range). What will be the most common condition and intended target? What is your goal?

It is nice to have the same scope on various rifles, as it leads to familiarity, and consistent sight picture, which leads to confidence and shooter performance.

A 6 power would be perfect! I really like both the Leupold 6x36 and 6x42, I can't decide which I prefer.

Unless it's a dedicated woods/whitetail rifle. Then I'd go with a 4 power.

As I get older I appreciate a little extra. I'd go with the 4-12 unless shots are short and the field cluttered.

My 280 Ack has a 3.5-10 VX3. I think it handles great as a hunting rifle for mostly Western Oregon. Meaning mostly timber, with some timber land clear cuts giving possibility of somewhat longer ranges.

My 223 bold gun has a 4-12 VX2, which I use mainly as a target rifle, but it also doubles as a yote gun. What I find myself doing at the range when i have both guns out there is using the 4-12 to look at the bullet holes I made on previous shots with the 3.5-10. I can't quite see them with 10 power.

So yeah… target shooting it can be nice to have more power. Big game hunting, out to maybe 6 or 700 yards a 3-9 or 3.5-10 would be fine. At closer ranges, field of view is king (which is always better with lower power).

:mrgreen:

I like higher magnification because I don't carry binoculars...

I do my field scanning with my 7x rangefinder, then if I need to look closer I use the 15x scope.

But that's just me...I mostly hunt large fields where I can see 800 yards in every direction.

My scope goes down to 3x, so if I need hunt close cover I can do that too.

For shooting, there really ain't much difference between 3-9 and 4-12... What one will do the other will too.

I have variable power Scopes that range from 1.5-5 to 4-14 and each has its place from close timber to wide open hunting. My favorite all around power range is 2-10 good for timber and wide open hunting not bad for target shooting either. 6X is my all-around fixed power and good for everything.

Ridgerunner665":a47cv3la said:
I like higher magnification because I don't carry binoculars...

I do my field scanning with my 7x rangefinder, then if I need to look closer I use the 15x scope.

But that's just me...I mostly hunt large fields where I can see 800 yards in every direction.

I think that illustrates the point a couple guys have made. Pick the magnification that works for what you are doing. 3-9 or 4-12 isn't really going to make that much of a difference, and both are suited for either a 7mm RM or a 243.

Scopes can really be a "rabbit hole." There is always room to upgrade, and the cost shoots up very rapidly :mrgreen: Some day when I grow up, all 3 kids move out and stop taking all my money (that will happen some day, right?) I'd like to upgrade to a Leupold VX6 3x18 TMOA.

No good answer to this one as others have pointed out...

What will the Tikka be used for? If it's a dedicated lightweight rifle for the alpine- stick a 6x36 on it and call it a day.
A more general purpose rifle, a 3-9x is tough to beat.

One word of caution- lightweight rifles in more powerful cartridges with a heavy scope on them can be an issue. The scope will have a tendency to recoil forward in the rings with every shot. I don't know if a Tikka in 7mag crosses the line, but a 6.5 lb .338WM certainly does.

I don't have a scar, but I have been hit a few times.

It was a T/C Encore 50 caliber muzzle loader, loved that rifle, it was the best shooting front stuffer I ever owned, but that stock design just did not fit long lanky me...

Damn thing hit me every time I fired it...I had to sell it.

I have the Redfield 4-12 on my 30-06 Tikka. I like it very much, but had a hard time tracking a fast walking buck last fall in heavy brush at 50 yards, where I think my other scopes set at 2 or 3 would have been better. Also, I have Weaver bases and really need to move the scope forward a little more, but can't. Consider getting a full picatiny rail. Maybe the stock Tikka rings are different. For where and how I hunt most of the time, the 3-9 would have been the better choice, but I wanted to try the 4-12. Actually, for the woods hunting we do, 2-7 would be better but like the 9x or 12x at the range.

I've stayed with the smaller/lighter scopes. The max I have is a 3X9 Kahles on my Kimber Montana .300WSM. My .338RUM wears a 1.5X6 Zeiss and my other rifles are in the same ballpark. The bigger scopes/weight have a tendency to walk with the heavier calibers and once you get over 9X heat mirage and shake begin to play a role.

As I get up in age a little bit :shock: I like the higher power in my scopes especially at first & last light.
4-14 X 42 is my favourite (y).

PS. The hardest I have ever been hit by recoil was with a Tikka in the 338win. first time I thought about not shooting a rifle a second time :(.

Blessings,
Dan

I look at it this way, I can turn a 14x down to 9x if needed but can't turn a 9x to 14x if needed. That being said I also feel once you get above 10x you really need a parallax adjustment.

Quality is better than power. Meaning a superior lower power scope can out perform a higher power scope of lower quality.

I would look at a VX3 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 or a VX2 3-9 depending on which one best fits your wallet.

Redfield is made by Leupold and only guessing it would match up to the VX1 class.

As above, it depends on your intended use and preference.

Having learned most of what I know about shooting from current and former military personnel, I tend to think along those lines. Whitetail deer hunting tends to be sudden engagement. I favor CQB/SDM style optics on my hunting rifles for deer. My stand gun, .280 rem, wears a 3x9 Burris that stays on 3 or 4 most of the time. Even though shots may run on the long side on a couple pipeline easements I hunt, I practice mostly on 4x and am quite confident taking a behind the shoulder shot even with that miniscule magnification to 300 yards. The 9 really only gets used when I want to glass a critter or interesting tree or if I'm trying to gauge the size of a deer at distance.

My "woods" gun has an even lower magnification. 1.5x4. This is a Euro scope from an obscure maker with a 30mm tube, 40ish mm objective and a heavy "German" heavy post and crosshair reticle. I think it is adapted from a SDM scope for the G3rifle. Really brightens up the shadowy woods and draws a rapid bead in heavy cover.

My wife's rifle wears a 1.5x6 Bausch & Lomb 30mil with a German 3p4 heavy reticle. Best of both worlds in my opinion. If I ever get tired of the Burris on my .280, I will replace it with one of these or similar.

If I were hunting "Out West" or trophy bucks over food plots in a field, I might consider something with 12x capability, but I'm sure quality binos and a 3x9 would do the job as well. IMHO, the hunting community at large favors too much glass. Hard to find scopes in my niche, most are cheap garbage, AR "tactical" CQB or Hubbles.

Count me in as a 6X fan. Been using them a bunch and really like all the offer. I laid down on a few elk at 500 or better last year and wouldn't have had any problem putting good shots on them.

2-10/3-9 is my other favorites.

Back