Scope selection help

True enough Dubyam. We also all know that the 56mm 30mm tube super scopes are designed for a specialized purpose of hunting game in dark or very nearly dark conditions at longish ranges on European stands in many cases. They do that very well but at a cost of $2500 or more.

I have (2) 50mm objective scopes which fortunately fit on medium TPS rings and give good cheek weld on the high comb rifles which they are mounted on. All of my other scopes are mainly 40 to 44mm objectives and most cost around $500. My most expensive scope is a Zeiss Diavari V with a 42 mm objective. I think that you can buy just about maximum value to performance to cost ratio scopes for about the stated $500 amount, if you are not shooting at super long range, or shooting in competition. Even my Minox 2-10x40 ZA5 cost $500 but can be bought for $300 as a open box demo.

Everybody has a different point of view (pun intended) on scopes and it causes more aggravation in posts than any other topic.

Oldtrader3":m8cqtodv said:
Everybody has a different point of view (pun intended) on scopes and it causes more aggravation in posts than any other topic.

Truer words were never written, Charlie.

Sooooooo, I guess Big Mike and I are square on thread hi-jacks, lol. He knows what I'm talking about.

All kidding aside we've got some real knowledgeable folks on here. As I wrote above, I rethought my little dilemma and remember game I've taken out West. I always keep my scopes set at their lowest setting unless a long shot presents and I have time to dial it up. I just don't remember 8x being not enough out to well past 300. And a 1.5x4.5 served me well on a Mule Deer hunt back in '91.

Anyway, I'm guilty of over thinking things. And I do agree that the days of getting what you pay for in glass is no longer an absolute.

I have shot some pretty small groups at 300 yards using a Leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII. I have not figured out the theoretical difference between using this scope and using a 10X scope but it is physically and practically not much at 300 yards.

The shooting application comes into play on the cost of optics as well. For most large game hunting, a quality $500-600 scope will cover most applications. If you are sitting in a p-dog town shooting all day, there is a need for optics that have great glass and dialing capabilities. When I pay $1500 for a NF scope, it is not for super high end glass, it is for the mechanical integrity and repeat-ability of the elevation and windage turrets. The same is true for competition shooting that some of us do. Yes there is diminishing returns as the price goes up, but some of us need those more expensive items built into the scopes for our applications. I shoot on average about 50 rounds a year through a rifle used for hunting antelope and larger animals. I shoot about 10,000 rounds a year between varmint and competitions in the rifles that have more expensive glass...the end justifies the means.

257 Ackley":2vhjnng6 said:
The shooting application comes into play on the cost of optics as well. For most large game hunting, a quality $500-600 scope will cover most applications. If you are sitting in a p-dog town shooting all day, there is a need for optics that have great glass and dialing capabilities. When I pay $1500 for a NF scope, it is not for super high end glass, it is for the mechanical integrity and repeat-ability of the elevation and windage turrets. The same is true for competition shooting that some of us do. Yes there is diminishing returns as the price goes up, but some of us need those more expensive items built into the scopes for our applications. I shoot on average about 50 rounds a year through a rifle used for hunting antelope and larger animals. I shoot about 10,000 rounds a year between varmint and competitions in the rifles that have more expensive glass...the end justifies the means.

Bingo!

I'd say buy a scope that you can afford and hunt with it. I bought a Simmon Pro-50 (Made in Korea) for my first scope. I've hunted with that scope for a couple of years and had taken countless of animal from 100 yards on up to 600+ yards. I paid a princely sum of 150 dollars for it IIR, and I thought then it was the best scope ever built. 2 friends borrowed that Simmon and have taken their 1st animal with it. Finally gave it to another friend who just started getting into hunting.

I now use scope that are priced 10 times as much. I don't think for a moment that they're 10 times better than that Simmon. What dubyam is saying is true.

Back