Scope Swapping .375's

That's a beautiful rifle Guy. I think that Leupold will work perfect.

Can't wait to see what it does on the range.

I want to run it at range too. Have never fired it past 100 yards!

Watch it turn out to be a pretty scattergun! :roll:

Guy Miner":344swvf7 said:

Nope, ain't gonna happen! :grin: Not only at 100 but I want to see you light em up at 200 and 300. Least you could do for all of us eagerly watching you post on this. Dang grizzly bear hunter! Get that one skinned pilgrim and I'll get you another!

David

Guy Miner":31di81xi said:

Nope, I agree with David. Might turn out to be a 22-250 in H&H clothing.

I'm still wondering if you are going to take it in that beautiful wood stock? ha I hunted in the rain many, many times down in SE Texas. 99.9% of everyone's guns (rifle/shotgun) were wood stocked, some with very beautiful wood like the Browning A5s ( the Ne Plus Ultra of deer shotguns then!) My Win Mod 94 Classic had nice wood too. I would wipe some of mom's furniture polish on the wood, 3 In 1 Oil for the metal. Later we had WD40, flannel cloth on a homemade trot line cord pull through for the bore. It worked. I guess you could put a Bordins or Brown Precision synthetic on it, but there will go about $800 or so of your hunt money! I am not the one to tell you what will work or not up there, never been. I always think of the gazillions of rifles used up there and maintained with no more options than I had as a teen in Texas. Sure, I love my baked on moly coated, BP stocked Mod 700 35 WAI ( you are welcome to borrow it if you like :)! but I take my wood/blued rifles and go...lots better products out there now as you know. Good luck to you at any rate, I'm sure you will have a ball.

It's a debate... about the stock. Love the stock, would love hunting with it up in Alaska, and for one, ten-day hunt, maybe it would be okay if I took care of it. But I'd feel pretty awful if the weather messed that stock up real bad... And worse if the wet weather warped it enough to throw off the accuracy and make me miss the vitals...

Guy

I wasn't sure which side of the Cascades you were on...I've only been to Yakima to visit my friend and it was just like here...pretty dry. I had a Harris Gun works "drop magazine" ( look liked the 1917 Enfield magazine) "Safari" synthetic put on that .375 Weatherby I had. it was awesome, and I liked having an extra round on a DGR. Something to think about. I am a firm believer in using a rifle, especially a DGR, on regular hunts, field trips,etc to get used to it. I even like taking an AR coyote/varmint hunting for that same reason...you never know when that thing has to be a DGR! ha I really like that Cerakote and I think you can find a color that will work nicely for you...if you decide to do that. I lucked out in that all my hunts in South Africa/Namibia were their dry winter time. Here in Utah I used in two .375s the old 235X, the new Nosler 260PT (never killed anything with it though) and the 270X ( later the 270 Failsafe ammo) and the 300 Sierra. The 300 sierra was pretty soft, and the older 235X was almost too hard. I gave that first Mod 70 .375 Safari to my missionary buddy in south Africa with some 260NP. They were too soft on an Eland, but that's a pretty big critter! I can tell you we never recovered a 270 Failsafe from anything, zebras on down! ha I was really intrigued with Hal Waughs "Big Nan", a .375 Weatherby. He used an older make 270SP, he said he liked the faster velocity. He also said he went through several wood stocks through the years, ha.

Guy, that Leupold just looks right on that Model 70 and I am sure what ever combination you decide to go with will more than adequately do the job (y).
I am looking forward to your range reports on the 375 H&H.

Blessings,
Dan

McMillan makes a Safari style drop belly synthetic for the Mod 70! check it out...that's what "I" would do, ha.

Preacher, I'm in Wenatchee, about 100 miles north of Yakima and also on the "dry" side of the mountains, but I hunt both sides, as well as over near the Idaho border and have surely been soaked a few times.

I have some field experience with my other .375, the Ruger Number One. Three black bears, all with the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond. Great bullet!

Ya, I'm thinking hard about a McMillan... :)

Guy

Guy google search at your leisure for John Norrell Arms Moly Resin. Just another coating to think about. It comes like they all do in a variety of colors and tones. I'm happy with how it held up in wet snowy conditions for me this fall. You tired of us all telling you what to do yet?

David

Cerrakote is good stuff but the coating David mentions sounds pretty danged good as well. As for a stock, the Echols Legend seems like a great one for a 375.. I'm sure if the wood is waxed and sealed all around it'll be fine though. Heck, how did those old timers get by so many years with wood and blue?

The coating on my Whelen AI is very similar to Cerakote, but it is actually a moly based something or other "baked on coating". it is super hard and doesn't flake. Although, I have a couple rifles with the Duracaot sprayed on, air cured coatings and they are also very tough. However, on a rifle "as fine as yours" is, I would go with some form of baked on coating as it will last forever. I really like the "lighter contour" of your rifle's barrel too...it reminds me a lot of the Remington 700 BDLSS in 375 H&H I used...it was extremely handy in the woods, even with a 24" bbl. (which I prefer myself)

Guy,
I had a Remington 700xcr with the Titanium Nitride Coating and was real happy with it. It was a gold color on the one I had. The newer ones was 700xcrII and had the black Titanium Nitride coating. It is really tough coating. Here is a link that will coat your firearms.
http://titaniumgun.com/

All of you are just awesome! I am humbled by all the interest in my hunt. Thank you.

Heck, who knows if I'll even see a grizzly? Let alone getting a shot opportunity. It is a hunt after all...

Guy

If really interested in black nitride it might be a PIA with your banded front sight, the process is hot enough to melt silver solder. It's about the most durable waterproof finish out there, my go to rifle is nitrided and has saved it from rust many times over!

Two years ago I forgot to pull my rifle out of it's hard case that mounts to my 4 wheeler. A week later I pulled it out and had water running out of the case. Amazingly the only rust was on the magazine spring and scope mount screws. Had it not been nitrided I'm sure a new barrel would have been needed!

You should be able to cerakote the barreled action without effecting the silver solder. It's not as good as nitride but s lot better than blueing. The socom blue is a nice color to replicate blued chrome molly. Keep it wiped down and keep tape or a balloon over the muzzle.

We use H&M metals for black nitride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought about what coatings/processes would do to silver soldering! My rifle had the screw on sights, so no sweat. I absolutely do not think its worth messing with your front sight for any coating! I'm sure there is something out there that will work for you, if not Cerakote then something similar.

Cerakote and similar should be fine as they are baked at lower temperatures. The nitride is a very hot process, it isn't even good for certain types of steel. Anything heat treated under 800 degrees should not be nitrided. It will definitely melt silver solder so no go for banded sights, sling swivels or regulated doubles or SXS shotguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back